• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Check this site...looks too good to be true.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GirlyMan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:08 am Reply with quote
http://www.[This URL is a scam. Look elsewhere for deals]/

I haven`t join but I figured they might also have some Anime DVDs.....I think?
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:40 am Reply with quote
I think not.. it's almost certainly a scam. There is really no info on the site, their ads appear mostly on domains that are for sale, there is no whois match for their domain. Also, you can only pay via Paypal. If lists such as this existed at the prices they said, everyone would have them. I don't think you'd be able to get a dvd for $3.00 from a wholesaler anyway, and certainly not without a minimum order. I'd stay away from it if I were you.
GirlyMan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:11 am Reply with quote
mmmh...so it is too good to be true?.......

Can someone from ANN verify this?
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:22 am Reply with quote
GirlyMan wrote:
mmmh...so it is too good to be true?.......

Can someone from ANN verify this?

I sincerely doubt anyone will be able to find info on this. I already attempted to at least find a site were someone had posted SOMETHING about that site, however all I came up with was their crappy ads on all the availble domains.
GirlyMan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:32 am Reply with quote
I went to this site and type in the site I posted above and
some info about the site appear.

http://whois.godaddy.com
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:06 am Reply with quote
Ok, well that address comes back to an apartment complex, so it's someone operating out of their place. The phone # is not listed. Like I said it's too good to be true.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Well... No, it's not exactly a scam -- you get exactly what they tell you you're going to get.. which is INFORMATION. You aren't actually promised DVDs at low prices.

What you get from that website is, probably, a text file with listings of outdated, inaccurate and false information, coupled with the occasional bit of "good" information that only sells DVDs you don't want.

And, really, most of the "good" information is public knowledge, available via the Internet already if you choose to look around. We had an advertiser not too long ago who sold anime wholesale if you purchased in significantly large quantities:

http://www.buyritedvd.com/page.asp?id=210

There are others, if you look around. You don't need to be a store to buy wholesale, but you typically need to buy in significant quantities (i.e. the $100 minimum order from buyrite).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
Well... No, it's not exactly a scam -- you get exactly what they tell you you're going to get.. which is INFORMATION. You aren't actually promised DVDs at low prices.

What you get from that website is, probably, a text file with listings of outdated, inaccurate and false information, coupled with the occasional bit of "good" information that only sells DVDs you don't want.

And, really, most of the "good" information is public knowledge, available via the Internet already if you choose to look around. We had an advertiser not too long ago who sold anime wholesale if you purchased in significantly large quantities:

http://www.buyritedvd.com/page.asp?id=210

There are others, if you look around. You don't need to be a store to buy wholesale, but you typically need to buy in significant quantities (i.e. the $100 minimum order from buyrite).

Well I didn't mean scam as in they would take your money and give you nothing in return, but rather exactly what you have said, which while it is maybe not legally a scam, really is one. (Since the chances of actually getting the "good deals" they promise are pretty slim)
GirlyMan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:19 am Reply with quote
Wink Thank you people for stopping me from joining their site.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:17 am Reply with quote
THese people are selling links to bootleg suppliers. I've seen them before
GirlyMan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:42 am Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

Could someone post those *others* please? Very Happy
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

But that's not to say that all wholesalers will sell to the common Joe. Some stores will sell multiple orders with an added discount and call it wholesale, but a true wholesaler such as Diamond or Marz Distribution will require a business license or a state sales tax number in order to do business.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1