• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Silent Möbius DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see that Nicole Oliver was able to land the role of Katsumi for this re-release since she was Katsumi in the series. Consistency is something that I can appreciate.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Real nice to hear that this has been re-released.

The first time I've seen this was when a local TV station in my town had a syndicated network that showed different anime movies that was done by Streamline Pictures.

I thought it was pretty cool since they did show it as a double feature with Neo-Tokyo even back then.

Now I need to hopefully find Neo-Tokyo once again.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I saw the television series for this on G4/Tech TV/whatever. Since then, I use the term "Lucifer Hawk" as expression of surprise.

"Sweet Lucifer Hawk, that food is spicy!"

I'm a regular Luke Cage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
I still remember that Streamline dub. Silent Moebius was the only anime I wanted to walk out on while seeing it in the theater because I'd come to this realization: even i Japanese, this movie would absolutely suck. When you have 20+ writers working on a 1-hour screenplay, 'muddled' would be a nice way to describe the story structure. It's cool to see an older piece get released stateside, but I don't know if I can bring myself to grab this one.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:25 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Justin got to review this, since it's right up his alley. I unfortunately have not seen the sequel, but couldn't get into the tv show, either. I think what really impressed me, though, wasn't the visuals, but the emotional tenderness between mother and daughter which was definitely not the norm in a non-chick flick genre film. I think it tops the family bond in Totoro in terms of realism. What's really going to make it look dated, though, isn't the story-line, but all the chick action flicks that have been released since it came out, such as Ultraviolet and Underworld. Not to mention all the Blade Runner knock-offs which came out after "The Matrix" made money. But for people tired of pre-teen and/or ditzy heroines, this one's the real deal.
Hikari06

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:43 am Reply with quote
Wow, I remember reading some of the Silent Mobius manga in middle school (and what a novel experience it was at the time). This might make for a fun little old school trip down memory lane. Very Happy
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
I bought and enjoyed the series, but there just wasn't enough to this "movie" to make me want to pick it up. It really didn't cover much new material, and the price being asked for 50 minutes just is too steep for me. I did rent it through Netflix, though.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I was suprised that it was only an hour long, and that it jumped ahead of itself in its narration. But it was still intriguing in its own way, and I liked the mother/daughter relationship. I do look forward to the sequel, and am considering checking out the series now that it's grabbed my interest
watchdog210

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:34 am Reply with quote
I remember the series back in the late 90's. I had the first 3 VHS tapes but after that I could'nt get any more and was told that Bandi lost the lincese for it. Is that true, and can I get all the ep's now?

Thanks.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, I remember and loved this series back on TV. Told a pretty good story with a nifty cast. Nice to see their re-releasing it Very Happy
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
watchdog210 wrote:
can I get all the ep's now?

If you are talking about the series, it's available on DVD as an Anime Legends set.

Speaking of the series, in the encyclopedia it's listed as a remake of the movie. How does the movie compare to the series in terms of the story? Does the movie cover part of the same story contained in the series or is it something completely different?

I might have to check this out. I picked up the series because I found it super cheap and it sounded interesting, but I ended up not enjoying it that much in some part because the ending left so many things unresolved. Still, the movie sounds kind of interesting and I've been curious about it ever since watching the series.
rocklobster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
the series appears to be more in depth than the movie, judging by the review. It does end abruptly though. I hear there's another movie, and I hope that one picks up where the series leaves off. Judging by this review, I'm better off with the series, which I already own and highly recommend!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
rocklobster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
the series appears to be more in depth than the movie, judging by the review. It does end abruptly though. I hear there's another movie, and I hope that one picks up where the series leaves off. Judging by this review, I'm better off with the series, which I already own and highly recommend!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see this reviewed. I agree quite a bit, outside of story complaints. I guess I'm one that would argue that it's known what happens. As is, the structure remain rather strong, without having to further develop Katsumi in ways that are a foregone conclusion. Particularly when you take the flashback as the Hawk messing with her head, trying to remind her how weak she was. That and the second film does fill it in nicely. I also thing the film was very much made for fans of the manga.

That said, I love this movie. It is the pinnacle of Silent Mobius in animation. I can't imagine any fan of the manga being disappointed in it unless they hate Katsumi or something (since she's my favorite, it works far better for me as well).

One thing I think worth mentioning is the music. It fed the mood quite well, and I particularly love the chant in the finale. Bandai was nice enough to include the moderately hard to find OST in the collectors edition.

While it's a shame the old dub isn't included, it was rather wonky. Yuki particularly always seems to spout nonsense. The worse though was that they ruined one element of the ending. That being her mothers song. She sings it in the original, but that dubs replaced it with her muttering for her mother, completely missing the significance. So while it had an okay sound to it, the writing will not be missed. Though I still have my Streamline VHS.

To answer ManOfRust's question, while the series is a remake, it skips the Karma arc that this film is based off of. Technically, this film could fit somewhat into the series if memory serves, as I don't think they ever touch upon it. Except maybe some of the early episodes. Sort of seems like they figured (rightfully so) that they couldn't improve on it. Technically the second film wouldn't fit if I remember right.

As to how the series compares to the films, no contests. The TV series only wins in the area of having most of the storyline. Even then, they butchered Lum Cheng in it. For the SM manga fan, the films are the best adaptation in look and feel. They captured the spirit of the manga way better than the series did. The series was okay, but the movies just work better, flaws and all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
To answer ManOfRust's question, while the series is a remake, it skips the Karma arc that this film is based off of. Technically, this film could fit somewhat into the series if memory serves, as I don't think they ever touch upon it. Except maybe some of the early episodes. Sort of seems like they figured (rightfully so) that they couldn't improve on it. Technically the second film wouldn't fit if I remember right.

Ah, thanks for the info. I think I'll have to put this on my list of things to check out, then. I wasn't completely enthralled with the series, but I liked it enough that I'm curious to see the movie. Anime wasn't on my radar screen at all back in the VHS days, so I missed out on some really good older stuff and it's nice to have some of those shows again seeing the light of day over here so some of us more recent fans have a chance to enjoy them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1