• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3 Arrested for Stealing Dragon Ball Vending Machine

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
I suspect weed was involved.

I highly doubt it. The penalties for weed in Japan are ridiculously harsh, making it VERY hard to find and VERY expensive.

As for the spoiler[used panty machines], they are an urban legend. Maybe they used to exist, but they don't anymore.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I found it pretty funny to see that they thought the toys "sold for a high price." The fact that they were in a machine should have told them that the toys were pretty cheap. I doubt if they could have gotten much for the toys if they tried to fence them. And the vending machine itself would probably have been too hard to sell without somebody being suspicious.
Mikuru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
killua9101 wrote:
I wish we had vending machines like that here in the US

Sometimes you can find them at cons here.
Karasu416

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Mikuru wrote:
killua9101 wrote:

Sometimes you can find them at cons here.

sweet deal. i hope some are at Anime Boston Very Happy
but man this really made me laugh.
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
...and it wasn't even in Saitama. Sad

The "discount mall" in my city even has vending machines like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mappy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
Is this proof that Dragonball stunts your intelligence? "They sell for high prices"? The things were 200 yen each. From a vending machine. Unless you sold the things for half their value, most of your intended customers would probably find another vending machine to get theirs from.

Maybe the fact that Tatsuya Chiyo is 21, and apparently an adult, should tell us all that needs to be said about this event....
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:36 am Reply with quote
Mappy wrote:
Is this proof that Dragonball stunts your intelligence? "They sell for high prices"? The things were 200 yen each. From a vending machine. Unless you sold the things for half their value, most of your intended customers would probably find another vending machine to get theirs from.

Maybe the fact that Tatsuya Chiyo is 21, and apparently an adult, should tell us all that needs to be said about this event....

Well, it might be something similar to CCG packs. Like, $2 buys you one figure if you're not lucky, or the super-deluxe ultra-rare figure that eBays for $60 if you are.

Quote:
The penalties for weed in Japan are ridiculously harsh, making it VERY hard to find and VERY expensive.

Well, you can always find something- booze, Robutussin, Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds, paint cans for huffing...

Uhhh... or so I hear...
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The police say that they identified Chiyo from the fingerprints that were found on the machine after it had been abandoned in a nearby park.

See, this is what definitively proves they are just idiots. Stealing something...well that makes you amoral but not necessarily stupid. Stealing a vending machine for some figures you could have bought for $40? One really must wonder but who knows. Maybe they thought the figures could be sold for more or there would be more of them or something. The damning thing is when you set out to steal something and it doesn't occur to you to wear gloves. I mean, it's fairly simple. Your fingers leave prints that are unique to only you on stuff you touch. The police look for these prints and if they find yours they come and arrest you. This is not a new practice.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:01 am Reply with quote
They were probably going to try selling them to people overseas. Locals can get them with no problem; foreigners like most of us, not so much. Probably what they meant by the "they sell for a lot" thing.

Stupid to leave finger prints all over the machine. (Now, see, if I'd been the brains of this operation I'd have at least wiped down the machine before dumping!)
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
Hillarious! But I have to hand it to Japan - those vending machines are dirt cheap! They cost a ton more here in the US for skimpier looking machines!
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
BTW if those people were smarter, they would have stolen some other kind of vending machine spoiler[like the ones that were rumored to have used women's underwear in them]

Oh, that's not just a rumor Wink lol
Alright, I'll admit I've never seen one, but I have seen a lot of very odd items in those vending machines Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mappy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
They were probably going to try selling them to people overseas. Locals can get them with no problem; foreigners like most of us, not so much. Probably what they meant by the "they sell for a lot" thing.

Yes, well, I'm most certainly sure there is at least someone outside Japan stupid enough to pay top dollar for 200 yen figures from a vending machine. I feel sorry for those people.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Leon Evolon wrote:
EricDent wrote:
BTW if those people were smarter, they would have stolen some other kind of vending machine spoiler[like the ones that were rumored to have used women's underwear in them]

Oh, that's not just a rumor Wink lol
Alright, I'll admit I've never seen one, but I have seen a lot of very odd items in those vending machines Shocked

Eh, those things aren't sold in vending machines - they'd stink in stale air! They're sold in backdoor alleys through a hole in the wall (just enough to provide proof for a customer that a girl really wore and took it off)! Laughing
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
killua9101 wrote:

same here, but it would be filled with cartoon goods not anime.
EstZer

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:33 am Reply with quote
I wish we can have a vending like that in our place. Actually, I have never seen a Vending Machine in our place. How rude is that? I want to try buying in those kinds of machines.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3