Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Wife Arrested for Selling Ponyo DVD Copies


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
v1cious



Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Posts: 5058
Location: Fresno, TX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
3 copies? was this really newsworthy?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
AirCooledMan_2006



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 594
Location: Delaware, U.S.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
3 copies? was this really newsworthy?


People "summon" movies online while they're in theaters or even before they even premiere all the time nowadays, so I doubt this is really newsworthy. (DISCLAIMER: I, AirCooledMan_2006, do not endorse or condone bootlegging anime.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Egan Loo



Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Posts: 817

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:18 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
3 copies? was this really newsworthy?


The fact that a 36-year-old housewife was arrested for selling only three copies is precisely what is newsworthy. The Japanese police have arrested people for selling far more copies in the past — but now, making only three copies for only 1,500 yen is enough to be arrested.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bleuster



Joined: 22 Sep 2005
Posts: 454
Location: Orange County

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
Well, that was pretty stupid of her for many reasons, but part of file sharing is sharing for free. She didn't understand that, so just was served.

Speaking of which, these are the people that companies need to keep their eyes on. People making money of their property, selling on the streets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DonQuigleone



Joined: 31 May 2007
Posts: 154
Location: Dublin, Ireland

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
The real question is how the raws got out, camrips?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Leon Evolon



Joined: 26 Sep 2006
Posts: 212
Location: Crazytowne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:16 am Reply with quote
Now she has to ask herself if that $15 is going to cover the lawyer she's going to need. I don't think it will lol.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Moomintroll



Joined: 08 Oct 2007
Posts: 1600
Location: Nottingham (UK)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Japanese Wife Arrested


Are we going to start seeing married men who features in ANN news articles refered to as "Japanese husband"? Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Leon Evolon



Joined: 26 Sep 2006
Posts: 212
Location: Crazytowne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:03 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Quote:
Japanese Wife Arrested


Are we going to start seeing married men who features in ANN news articles referred to as "Japanese husband"? Rolling Eyes

I'm looking forward to the article titled, "Japanese Person in Japan Found Speaking Japanese."
Hard to say exactly what that title is implying. Perhaps we are to assume that all married individuals are somehow supposed to be more immune to this sort of idiocy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shadowrun20XX



Joined: 26 Nov 2007
Posts: 1385

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote
DonQuigleone wrote:
The real question is how the raws got out, camrips?
Camrips have been out for a while.I saw it two or three months ago.Almost DVD quality.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
hikaru004



Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Posts: 2303

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote
Leon Evolon wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:
Quote:
Japanese Wife Arrested


Are we going to start seeing married men who features in ANN news articles referred to as "Japanese husband"? Rolling Eyes

I'm looking forward to the article titled, "Japanese Person in Japan Found Speaking Japanese."
Hard to say exactly what that title is implying. Perhaps we are to assume that all married individuals are somehow supposed to be more immune to this sort of idiocy.


Maybe a single female wouldn't have gotten caught. Laughing

Either way I bet the police are just patting themselves on the back for arresting someone who only sold 3 DVDs online. Smallfries don't usually make the headlines or receive the punishment that make headlines.

Poor lady. I hope she gets a good lawyer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kokuryu



Joined: 07 Apr 2007
Posts: 915

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote
It's amazing how quickly these things get out there... I was once on an IRC channel chatting about movies, and talking about going to see a new movie that was opening the next day. 15 minutes later, someone streamed the movie to me. The day BEFORE it opened in theaters. It was in near DVD quality. I was dumbfounded. BUT it was much better watching it in the theater - on the big screen - with an audience and the great sound.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zerreth



Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 88
Location: E6

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
It's amazing how quickly these things get out there... I was once on an IRC channel chatting about movies, and talking about going to see a new movie that was opening the next day. 15 minutes later, someone streamed the movie to me. The day BEFORE it opened in theaters. It was in near DVD quality. I was dumbfounded. BUT it was much better watching it in the theater - on the big screen - with an audience and the great sound.


I'm not really sure how they do it, but some people seem to have a knack for finding leaked content.
(Also, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic...)

On a more related note.
This is... different.

I don't think the "wife" thing is implying anything. A bit weird we really aren't seeing "husband" in newspapers but the "Japanese" thing I get.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sven Viking



Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 517

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:51 am Reply with quote
Story states she was a "housewife" -- valid description imho. Presumably that was shortened to "Wife" for the headline.

A fine would be understandable, but arresting her over bootlegging $15 worth of merchandise seems like a waste of police time, if nothing else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Haterater



Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Posts: 984

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
v1cious wrote:
3 copies? was this really newsworthy?


The fact that a 36-year-old housewife was arrested for selling only three copies is precisely what is newsworthy. The Japanese police have arrested people for selling far more copies in the past — but now, making only three copies for only 1,500 yen is enough to be arrested.


I feel as though they are using her as an example like with the whole music industry thing. Hoping to scare away people from going down this road. Which isn't going work in the long run.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
fighterholic



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Posts: 9193

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Actually, this is quite amusing. But it also means this "Japanese wife" was also tech savvy. Can you ask for anything more than that from your wife?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group