• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: MyNavi Poll: Top Female Character in Ghibli Works

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
Nausicaä is my type of woman; compassionate, courageous and cares for nature.

San's a close second place. (And she didn't even make the male list? What's wrong those guys?)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
I'll settle with Sheeta being 3rd/2nd. I really do like Nausicaa as well. I always consider Nausicaa as Top Craft though. Just like when I'm naming my favorite Key titles, I don't mention their Tactics stuff like Moon or One even though they share the same staff.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
I always associate Nausicaä of the Valley of the Winds with the Studio Ghibli canon, even if it wasn't really produced by Ghibli. It so strongly resembles a Ghibli film that I overlook the fact that it isn't literally one.

Regardless, I liked Nausicaä a lot too. I really want to see that film again sometime. I haven't seen anything by Studio Ghibli in quite a while and I've even missed a few. I've never seen Kiki's Delivery Service.

I saw Princess Mononoke a long time ago, but I recall finding Lady Eboshi fascinating, but I suppose that she's not the kind of character who would place highly on a list like this.

I was surprised that more women than men participated in the poll. I suppose that I have certain irrationally strong stereotypes about things that combine anime+internet. The results are also interestingly close.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Osono in second place? Shocked Where is Ursula?
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Dunno about other male voters, but this one (and, admittedly, most polls) went completely past me. Then again, voting for "best female Ghibli character" is hard enough as it is, since Studio Ghibli tends to make wonderful female characters of all kinds. (And male ones too, for that matter.)
Jeikobu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
My top 5:

1. Setsuko (Grave of the Fireflies)
2. Fio (Porco Rosso)
3. Nonoko (My Neighbors the Yamadas)
4. Sheeta (Laputa, The Castle in the Sky)
5. Dola (Laputa, The Castle in the Sky)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Optitron

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:33 am Reply with quote
lol Chihiro didn't make the list even though so many people say Spirited Away is Miyazaki-sensei's opus (though I don't particularly like the movie). Doesn't surprise me since she's only tolerable as a character in the second half of the movie.

My favorite female character from any medium is Nausicaa, though I also tend to forget that she isn't technically a Studio Ghibli character. My other Ghibli favorite females would be Shizuku Tsukishima (not my inspiration for wanting to be a writer, but definitely a character that enforced that desire further), San (she could be my favorite, but it seems like she fails to grow as a character during the movie, plus she's the only Miyazaki female the ends up relying on the strength of her male counterpart), Fio (hello Nausicaa clone from a different film and time period), and... umm... I dunno, let's say Sophie (though Diana Wynne Jones' original character is more interesting).

I don't get why Sheeta's so high, but I don't know Castle in the Sky very well since I think it's Miyazaki-sensei's weakest film, so maybe that's the reason for my confusion (weird how Miyazaki-sensei is the only storyteller I've ever encountered whose work is weakened by adding an antagonist to the plot).
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:02 am Reply with quote
Optitron wrote:
lol Chihiro didn't make the list even though so many people say Spirited Away is Miyazaki-sensei's opus

I think the only people who say that are Americans since it was the one 'big theater release' and most mainstream for the average Western fan. Personally, I find it to be one of the weaker movies.

Nausicaa as #1 is perfectly great, for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1