• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kiddy Grade: is it worth it?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:50 am Reply with quote
i just saw the first six episodes based on the lavish praise it has recieved, and I can say I'm disappointed. Its not that the show is horrible, it just has nothing to make it stand out. my question is does the plot pick up enough to make the series interesting and worth seeing?
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:55 am Reply with quote
Well, according to Shelf Life things begin to pick up a bit around disc 4.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:57 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
i just saw the first six episodes based on the lavish praise it has recieved, and I can say I'm disappointed. Its not that the show is horrible, it just has nothing to make it stand out. my question is does the plot pick up enough to make the series interesting and worth seeing?

While I haven't seen that much farther into the series than you have, I can tell you that things do pick up, things aren't what they seem to be, and some interesting twists are thrown in. It looks promising.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:20 am Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Well, according to Shelf Life things begin to pick up a bit around disc 4.

Yeah, it's right around that time (episode eleven-ish) that the primary story begins to kick in. It improves a great deal from there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:11 am Reply with quote
11 episodes into the series is kinda long isn't it? Some of us don't have that sort of patience.

Well, I haven't bought it yet. I might. But it's still being put out on individual discs and I'm waiting for a boxed set which will be cheaper.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:22 am Reply with quote
Ken Hayashi wrote:
11 episodes into the series is kinda long isn't it? Some of us don't have that sort of patience.

Perhaps, but from what I've seen once it picks up, it's worth it.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:29 am Reply with quote
Another one to add to my "to buy" list then. Very Happy
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:29 am Reply with quote
thanks. well, i guess i will stick with it.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:55 am Reply with quote
Indeed... having seen the whole thing, I can definetly tell you it definetly has some very unexpected twists come about. It's worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:46 am Reply with quote
Usually when i watch the first 3-7 epidsodes of a series, i can tell if it's worth hanging in there for the long haul or just disregard altogether. (I.E. Noir,Saiyuki,Blue Gender,FMP,Garasaki etc.) Now the impression i got from watching the first 3 epidsodes of K.G. were less than favorable.

There wasn't enough originality as compared to other "chicks in space" genres like Sol Bianca,Dirty-Pair etc. both pacing and dubbing was average IMO. When a series gets alot of hype, i would think that it exceeds my expectations, but like many hyped Anime series it didn't. But then again maybe it will pick up as some of you have mentioned. we'll see.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:12 am Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
Usually when i watch the first 3-7 epidsodes of a series, i can tell if it's worth hanging in there for the long haul or just disregard altogether. (I.E. Noir,Saiyuki,Blue Gender,FMP,Garasaki etc.) Now the impression i got from watching the first 3 epidsodes of K.G. were less than favorable.

There wasn't enough originality as compared to other "chicks in space" genres like Sol Bianca,Dirty-Pair etc. both pacing and dubbing was average IMO. When a series gets alot of hype, i would think that it exceeds my expectations, but like many hyped Anime series it didn't. But then again maybe it will pick up as some of you have mentioned. we'll see.

Well the first basically half of the series, up to about ep 11, are simply there to set your impression of what you think the world is supposed to be. What you think G.O.T.T. is and what all the E.S. members do and . whatnot, and basically introduce you to all the players. Once things get moving though, things get turned inside-out, upside-down, and pretty much every which way you can think of. Things are not at all what you think they are for the first half of the series.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:

Well the first basically half of the series, up to about ep 11, are simply there to set your impression of what you think the world is supposed to be. What you think G.O.T.T. is and what all the E.S. members do and . whatnot, and basically introduce you to all the players. Once things get moving though, things get turned inside-out, upside-down, and pretty much every which way you can think of. Things are not at all what you think they are for the first half of the series.

I'm still going to buy this series.

But, don't you think that an 11-episode intro or so is quite a bit to sit through?
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Ken Hayashi wrote:

But, don't you think that an 11-episode intro or so is quite a bit to sit through?

Not really, I mean the first few eps are ok, not great, but they do hold their own. But once you get to ep 11, things start changing really quickly, and you find that most of the things you thought were actually wrong, or that you had a distorted vision. They probably could have done it in fewer eps, but I was able to sit through it just fine Smile
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:09 am Reply with quote
Was the rest of the remaining episodes a bit rushed then, as they tried to fit the main plot in and get the story going and completed in like 15(?) episodes?

I'm o.k. with that, I always love a good story and it doesn't matter that I have to sit through 11 episodes to get to the real start. But some others might not.

And in this case, I'd have to say, be patient. Give the show a chance and watch a bit more. Don't stop at episode 4 (or something) and give up on it. If I remember correctly, the show was produced by Gonzo wasn't it? That in itself should already tell you how good the quality of it will be (plot-wise, well, Gonzo have yet to screw up).
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:13 am Reply with quote
Ken Hayashi wrote:
If I remember correctly, the show was produced by Gonzo wasn't it? .

Yup it was. As to your other Q, I haven't finished it so I can't really say, but I can say that things start going crazy (in a good sense) pretty quickly. It doesn't seem rushed so far at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2