• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Evangelion Discussion. ( Spoilers, so be warned)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:02 am Reply with quote
Just to make things a little clearer for people, this is the official movie poster. The character Mari (or Mana as I like to call her, though it's probably wrong lol) is in the lower right corner of this picture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:51 am Reply with quote
I can't help but notice... Everyone is wearing their school uniforms except Mari (and technically Toji, but that's what he wears to school anyway).
Doesn't Mari go to their school then?

This thread has actually made me want to rewatch Eva from the start (plus the three movies), so I can pay proper attention and kind of join in on the discussion. If this thread is still goin' in a few weeks, hopefully I'll be prepped to throw in a few comments which are a bit weighter than 'Wot? No uniform?' Very Happy
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
I can't help but notice... Everyone is wearing their school uniforms except Mari (and technically Toji, but that's what he wears to school anyway).

Mari's wearing some sort of kilt, Shinji's hurt his wrist (I wonder how) and Kaoru needs to eat something. Not that I hold any of these facts against whoever designed the poster though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Shinji's hurt his wrist (I wonder how)

I think that's just pixilation in the image Confused sorry I couldn't find a higher quality version.

Zin5ki wrote:
Mari's wearing some sort of kilt

Perhaps we are going to see a representation of some other nationalities in Evangelion. It makes sense to me since the whole world is in danger of destruction from the Angels. Or it could just be a plaid skirt Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Well if you remember in evangelion not many nations were left. It was japan, america, germany and maybe england? No signs that any other countries made it though.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I know you (Ikari1) didn’t include it in your list of items to be discussed at the beginning of this topic, but I want to see what other people think of the new movie(s) in relation to the originals

Right with relation to discussing the rebuild movies on this thread, I've decided that this is absolutly fine and I'm currently editing the opening post to reflect this change. I wasnt too sure origionally if I should include them but with some advice from TonyK I've decided to go ahead and add them to the list of films to be discussed. This is The Evangelion discussion thread after all and the rebuild films are Evangelion. The Live action film however, will stay in a separate thread.

So anyway, fire away.

Last edited by Ikari1 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Ikari1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Sorry, I didn't word it properly. I meant the new girl. Asuka should most definitely be in. Which means that there really isn't going to be space for the new girl to fit. I mean, are they really going to introduce two new girls in a two-hour movie? Don't they realise that Asuka's Tsundere nature means she practically is two people by herself?

To jump on this band wagon also, I think it would be detrimental to introduce another character. Unless it really does aid in contributing to a new story line then I think it is a little risky to intoduce this new girl.

I'm asuming of course that the new plot will be equally as good/complex as the origional and End of evangelion. I was excited when I saw the 2:0 preview at the end of rebuild 1:0 but now that it is getting closer to the release and we still know very little about this new character's role, I am getting nervous as to where and how they are going to take the story down a new road. The introduction of a new character does after all suggest some rather large plot changes. This will be especially relevant if she does turn out to be a new evangelion pilot or love interest. I personally think either option will upset the delicate balance or relationships between the characters that we are already privy to.

I'm still confident that they will do a good job as to be honest I thought Rebuil 1:0 was fantastic. I thought the way they did the battle at the end was just brilliant. The music was just fantastic also in that scene.

Heres the snippets of information from the preview that we are given for those of you that have forgotton or haven't scene the preview yet.

spoiler[''EVA unit 5 mobilises. EVA unit 02 and it's pilot are reassigned''.]

spoiler[''The dissaperence of EVA unit 04, and the enforcment of EVA unit 03's startup disaster''.
]

spoiler[''And finally EVA unit 06 and it's pilot who descend from the moon']'.

spoiler[''Where will the collapsing tale of Shinji Ikari continue next time''?

]

''Next time, Rebuild of evangelion: destruction.''

I would write down the very last thing Misato says but it really pisses me off so I wont. Let me put it this way: the words 'lots' and 'Fanservice' are mentioned.

Another question that we have at least a 50% chance of getting right is this one regarding Toji.....

spoiler[WIll they or wont they kill Toji off. The manga does kill him but the anime does not so where will they go this time round?]
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
As for your toji question I saw go the way of the anime. I think it was always a good way to keep a certain amount of distance between auska and her "best friend" hikari because spoiler[Hikari and toji were kinda dating and I think it always made auska feel like hikari didn't understand her and maybe she even felt a little inferior]
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
It may be ludicrous for me to make the suggestion, but the post-Instrumentality circumstances in which I make it are equally so. My blanket statement once applied but to a single entity.

Yet they are no longer one entity. And we already have evidence that others are willing to return... so it only follows that more are to come.

Plus, like I and dtm42 have stated, Anno likely wanted to stress a point about the story's message with Shinji and Asuka's relationship. It makes sense to isolate the act between the two.

zanarkand princess wrote:
Well if you remember in evangelion not many nations were left. It was japan, america, germany and maybe england? No signs that any other countries made it though.

All of the committee members represent one country, and there's certainly more than four.

Don't really have any opinions or predictions about the upcoming Rebuild movies. Just have to wait and see.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:25 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Yet they are no longer one entity. And we already have evidence that others are willing to return... so it only follows that more are to come.

Pardon my lack of insight on this issue, but could you please tell me what this evidence is?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Pardon my lack of insight on this issue, but could you please tell me what this evidence is?

The river between the two genders has been crossed.

Plus, there's also the gradual build of civilization shown as Rei and Kaworu give their good-byes to Shinji (as well as their hope they have that humanity can overcome its shortcomings), Yui's exchange with Fuyutski, and how EoE is complementary to EoTV.

I just really cannot see how someone can view EoE as a downer ending when actually examining it.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
The river between the two genders has been crossed.

Plus, there's also the gradual build of civilization shown as Rei and Kaworu give their good-byes to Shinji (as well as their hope they have that humanity can overcome its shortcomings), Yui's exchange with Fuyutski, and how EoE is complementary to EoTV.

I just really cannot see how someone can view EoE as a downer ending when actually examining it.

Be a little more specific please. The two main characters' return is not sufficient to necessitate the assertion that others will.
Rei and Kaworu expressing hope is still open to interpretation. They may have had a great deal of power, but to suggest that their hopes may not be realised does not express a logical contradiction.
Theatrically speaking these hints you mention do suggest others returning, something EoTV I shall admit does not, but were evidently not explicit enough to lead me to the same conclusions as yourself even though they do follow coherently. Due to the nature of the film, it is safe to say that my (and perhaps any) stance on the matter is not without subjective elements.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Plus, there's also the gradual build of civilization shown as Rei and Kaworu give their good-byes to Shinji (as well as their hope they have that humanity can overcome its shortcomings), Yui's exchange with Fuyutski, and how EoE is complementary to EoTV

It could just be a visual depiction allwoing us to better understand what the end of instrumentality could eventually bring.
I think the first step was for Shinji to decide against instrumentality and so he comes back. After that, every one else has to make a choice. Asuka for reasons we haven't fully agreeded upon yet, is for some reason next to shinji when he awakes.

After this, I think people will slowly choose to come back. I cant imagine that millions of people have already chosen to come back and are laying there in newly repaired cities , waiting to wake up and go ''What the hell just happened there, must have been something in my cornflakes''. It will be a slow process, I think. Of course millions of people could have been tempted by the nothingness that awaits them in the sea of LCL and opted not to come back. It could have gone either way. With such a devestating event having just taken place I'm sure that to alot of people not used to that type opf upheaval, the easy option to opt not to come back could be quite gripping for them.

It's not a question of if people would choose to come back; I think the end of the TV series goes some way to answering this with the congratulatiuons scene.

The imagery at the end suggests that only Shinji and Asuka have so far opted to come back and the way misato's cross kind of just dangles on that nail towards the end suggests that she might not choose to come back or that she will, depending on how we think about that image. Anno is very clever like that. There has to be a reason why we are shown that cross and it is probably trying to get us thinking wether or not misato opted to come back or not. It is also (maybe?) a sly input of ambiguous religious imagery but not something that should be concentrated upon too much in my opinion.
Both the image of only Asuka and Shinji laying there alone among desolation and Misato's lone cross are important. It is trying to comment on thier aloneness as well as their relationship together. It is also the last reminder that Shinji has that someone cared for him once in the 'real world'. At one point whilst considering the world with only one mass enity in it, he releases the cross, only to regain it later as he decides what he wants from the instrumentality project.

This image at the end doesnt aid too much in the thought that millions of people have already chosen to come back. I think that right at the end, theres just Asuka and shinji. Again the adam and eve image at the end helps to make up my mind up on this issue of wether people have already come back or not. I think the world; for a while at least, does end up with only Shinji and Asuka alive at once.

I also think however that people will eventually choose to come back. That is my understanding of the whole end sequence of end of evangelion. The imagery that Hellkorn has already touched on and other little nuggets like the cross all suggest that humanity will choose in some part to come back and restart everything again. Theres very little chance of it just being Shinji and Asuka for ever alone on the surface. They will be alone in the beggining of course but not completely alone forever. The adam and eve image like I said earlier isnt an image where we should directly take what it means from the bible and translate to Evangelion. It is more of a subtle message of aloneness at that moment in time and the fact that humanity/ Shinji and Asuka's realtionship is turning a new leaf.
crybaby810

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:34 am Reply with quote
just remembered after reading the first few posts and thought id share, though im no hard core NGE fan so dont expect any replies but lilith is the name of adams first wife who was cast into hell for some reason or another and *layed* with demons if you get my drift. so the irony that not only is lilith stuck to that cross but also her name is symboliyc of the first human sinner. maybe you people can make somthing of that.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:
I also think however that people will eventually choose to come back. That is my understanding of the whole end sequence of end of evangelion. The imagery that Hellkorn has already touched on and other little nuggets like the cross all suggest that humanity will choose in some part to come back and restart everything again. Theres very little chance of it just being Shinji and Asuka for ever alone on the surface. They will be alone in the beggining of course but not completely alone forever.

I'll admit you have a point.
The thing is, this is the point at which the film ends- we leave the Eva universe with plenty of imagary but little closure beyond that of two main characters.
An eventual return wouldn't be much of a happy state of affairs. Considering the cosmic teleology and spectacle of the series pre-instrumentality, the early generations of the new humanity (of which the Eva cast are among) would have to exist with comparatively basic aims and experiences as they rebuild civilization from a primative state. It would be as if they were all being punished for the acts of Gendo et al.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 23