• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Evangelion Discussion. ( Spoilers, so be warned)

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Dean

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Why is the air here so worked up? Question
Evangelion original series rule the scene,also,I think that the End of Evangelion is just...wrong.
Only in the series you find the true ending,for all characters,Rei,Misato and others,the aftermath,prelude and other story elements....and also about Death and Rebirth....it's like if you want to see the series again....with decent scene chossing from the true series.
Live action.....hmmmm......it wouldn't be right. Cool
GO FOR THE SERIES! Razz
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
The Dean wrote:
Evangelion original series rule the scene,also,I think that the End of Evangelion is just...wrong.
Only in the series you find the true ending,for all characters,Rei,Misato and others,the aftermath,prelude and other story elements....

The only ending in the series you get is for Shinji.

And how is EoE "wrong"?
The Dean

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
There was no need for that much violence and gore.The ending could be a little more happier. Smile
The_ENEMY

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote
My opinion is rather based on psychology of the series. I liked Evangelion as a series, but the plot for me was somewhat over thought since the characters thought about themselves too much. Just who was the enemy in the series? To me... all of them were guilty as Satan Razz
I agree that the ending could have been happier... the way I saw things... even at the end who was the enemy? Shinji? Asuka? The Angels? No clue Question
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Managed to check out Eva 1.0 in theatres when it opened in Canada on the 30th. One of my friends won a ticket through the ANN contest. There were not many people in the theatre, probably around 20 in total, all fans. The theatre didn't have any posters or anything out. Heck the movie times board didn't even have the movie listed to let people know there was such a film playing...

It would be nice if there was some more promotion, but considering the content of the film, many viewers may not be satisfied unless they're fans of the series and know what to expect. That said I'm really looking forward to 2.0 and picking 1.0 up on blu-ray.

I did a review for the film here if anyone wants my full impressions:
http://www.player1.ca/?p=1687
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
The Dean wrote:
There was no need for that much violence and gore.The ending could be a little more happier.

1) It's practically the apocalypse. Violence (there's hardly anything that could be called "gore") in such an event isn't exactly unexpected. Also, given how much of an affect the atomic bombs have had on the Japanese conscious -- for better or for ill -- it's sensible for Anno to have weave those feelings into the story.

2) "Could have been" doesn't mean "should have." I really couldn't imagine another ending that doesn't come across as a cop-out.

The_ENEMY wrote:
I agree that the ending could have been happier... the way I saw things... even at the end who was the enemy? Shinji? Asuka? The Angels? No clue

Seele...?
The Dean

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
There was no need for the apocalypse-the ending SHOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER! Surprised
Besides,I think that series give a decent ending.It wouldn't be fun if the world died in a second,don't you think?
Evangelion has an concrete point on psychology-not death and ending.I hope you get what I mean. Cool
David.Seth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
The Dean wrote:
There was no need for that much violence and gore.The ending could be a little more happier. Smile

But this is Evangelion. There's not much happiness in this franchise. I personally would have been mad as hell if Anno opted for a happy ending. End of Evangelion has quite a few flaws, and it's far from perfect. But it holds it own, and it basically delivers the epic ****ed up ending people supposedly wanted to see for the end of the series (this is pure conjecture on my part). Besides, you can complain about the same thing for many movies. For example, what if Saving Private Ryan had a "happy" ending? What if all the violence and gore was removed? Would it still be a good movie? I highly doubt it. What about Braveheart? Or Pans Labyrinth? If they had opted for happier endings, and cut the violence and gore, the movies would have made less of an impact. I know there are movies that use excessive gore and violence just for cheap shocks (Hostel, The Hills Have Eyes, etc) but I wouldn't compare Evangelion to them to begin with. EoE was more extreme than the series, but the series did have its fair share of violence. Anyway... if you want to watch Evangelion with less violence and a happy ending, try RahXephon Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
Evangelion is probably one of the most depressing anime ever. I find no fault with the End of Evangelion climax because spoiler[it is implied Shinji and Asuka are to become a couple]. I saw a fansub of You are not Alone, and didn't like that much compared to the original series. My view of it is borders on the level of bizarreness that episode 26 had.[/spoiler]
The Dean

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I hate to inform everyone that there were FANS that hated the EoE(it goes without saying that the ending was the target,btw).I understand that Evangelion is depressing,apocalyptic and so on....still,the final episodes of the series are absolutely a work of ART.The ending could be more chaotic using the psychology,rather than ripping flesh and showing a blood fest(is the scene when Asuka gets beaten up SOOO cute?gimme' a break....).Also,in the series you couldn't even "smell" the apocalypse-all angels destroyed,the earth saved,Shinji convinced that life is woth living,no one died like in the EoE, and other jazz.Why blood?(don't misunderstand me-I haven't said that blood was a bad choice,but not that much) Evil or Very Mad
If someone thinks that the EoE is good,or worth watching,he is certainly a giant fan of Berserk...is there anyone who could at least understand me? Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 23 of 23