• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Stellvia sequel.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I think it is about time Tatsuo the director of Stellvia got his finger out and start considering about a Stellvia Sequel as there has been a sequel movie made for Nadesico the Dark prince which should of really been a series not a movie how in the heck are you suppose to know what happen in the two years in the Nadesico movie.
But I reckon there would be a lot people out there who liked the first season of Stellvia would certainly like to see a sequel to see what happen two years after the Genesis mission Tatsuo should really consider this as I bet he has been bombarded since he made that announcement.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
There was talk about a sequel, and even a promotional image, a few years back but it was killed. I can't remember the reasoning, but it was a definite "never happening", which is still a big shame.

[edit]

I can't remember the reason as there was none:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2005-08-10/stellvia-2-cancelled

[edited again for spelling]

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
At least the first series ending ties up enough plot threads that you aren't left going "that's it?!?" like some shows. I for one would love to see more but I'm not left going "wait, what happened to them? Did they make it or not?"

Certainly in a better place with Stellvia than I am with something like Rozen Maiden where spoiler[two dolls are lifeless and the seventh still hasn't gotten into the fight and Shinku's all "there's another way, we don't have to fight"] but unfortunately the anime Rozen-verse has to rely on FanFic to figure out what happens next.

I would very much like to know why a sequel is impossible though. Was it lack of funding? Lack of interest? Creator breakdown hidden by said creator saying it's out of his hands? If it's funding, they could shave a lot off the budget by not airing it on TV.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I would very much like to know why a sequel is impossible though. Was it lack of funding? Lack of interest? Creator breakdown hidden by said creator saying it's out of his hands? If it's funding, they could shave a lot off the budget by not airing it on TV.

Could be any one of those or something completely different all together. Its probably best left undone though. Like you said, it wrapped things up well and gave a hint at what life for the Stellvia cast would be like from then on. I could really do without a sequel that was supposed to be a series being pushed into a shoddy movie or OAV, IE Nadesico: Prince of Darkness Mad .
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I've read that a lot of the issues for fans outside Japan with Nadesico come from the fact that the events between the series and the movie got covered in games and such but that they were strictly no export for you.

Like you said the Rancorous, Stellvia wrapped itself up rather well. I'd love to see more, I'd PAY to see more but I'm okay with not getting more, you know? More would be awesome but it's already fine the way it is.

Does anyone know what the budget was per episode of Stellvia and maybe what the added cost was to air it on TV? Lately I've really started to wonder if the Japanese couldn't save themselves a lot of money and possibly get the same or better bump in sales by foregoing TV airings in favor of a cheap online subscription stream or even a free stream. Seems like it'd at least make anime cheaper to product by a fair bit. (And if the stream were totally open to everyone and included several language subs, maybe even another language dub, then it seems like it would surely get a lot of hits.)

It's too bad Stellvia has more than just one major player in the decision making process. The more people have a say in things, the harder it is to do anything really innovative.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Countless anime have had plans of sequels but get axed. I suppose if the Japanese felt they poured too much on anime series that didn't do well, then why waste thousands to millions of dollars again to create a sequel? Also, sometimes the sequel could become too extreme to be aired/released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1