• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Nene + Moto Slave

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dardre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Came really close to buying the Priss set, had it preordered and everything, but had to cancel due to an unexpected expense. Kinda glad I did now.

In 2005 Atelier-Sai produced high quality figures of the four girls that were supposedly pretty sturdy. Kinda wish I got those now, you can still find them if you look hard enough:

Priss Asagiri Hard Suit
Linna Yamazaki Hard Suit
Sylia Stingray Hard Suit
Nene Romanova Hard Suit

I think I'd rather have the extra parts over the screwy Moto Slave.

Emerje

*sigh* Wish I'd known about those before they were discontinued myself. They look pretty good, and the 'suits are the upgraded ones that I liked more than the 'suits they first used; always felt the upgraded ones fit the characters' personalities better, particularly Priss (I never did understand why she had the EM needler in the first place, considering her preference for getting in the Boomer's face Very Happy ).
SaveRobotech

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Just from the introduction of what Bubblegum Crisis is I would assume you didn't even like the overall show which leaded to such a harsh review. You label it as a rip off of Mospeada when it is clearly not, Zillion now that's a rip off. BGC and Mospeada came from the same studio Artmic, by the exact same design team hardly a rip off. You complain about the name of the toy and the design aspect of Nene's heels. It just seems like there is something else driving such a negative review and not the actual toy itself.

Now it is obvious you got a bad set, since the leg wont stay on. I purchased all 4 and all are trouble free. I do agree with you on the high price tag and odd shoulder joints, but the fact that Yamamto actually invested in making a toy for a niche of a niche market is commendable regardless of odd choices of transformation requirements. I wrote an indepth review of the Priss Motoslave back in July and I would honestly recommended it to any hard core BGC fans. If you are not interested in the Motoslave and just want the girls in their hard suits with interchangeable sculpted heads then search high and low for the discontinued 2005 Atelier-Sai action figures.

I'm a huge Bubblegum Crisis fan and I disagree with this statement "screw this toy. Even if you're a huge Bubblegum Crisis fan".

Knight Sabers Sanjo!!!!!
Shorty22

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:21 am Reply with quote
That was the most hilarious thing I've read in awhile.. you've got me in stitches over here! Laughing

And that last picture was just too much! Laughing

Your articles are always fun to read, but your flair totally shines more with the bad ones. Wink
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:30 am Reply with quote
I don't see why all the Bubblegum Crisis fans are getting so irked at the reviewer's assesments on the show itself. Just ignore it and concentrate on how sucky the toy is, the point of the article. It's not like every other word was an attack on the show. As a huge fan of Bubblegum Crisis, I'm glad somebody finally reviewed one of those severely expensive toys that I was considering purchasing (if I could find it). I wouldn't want to go into a 50+ dollar purchase of an action figure not knowing what I was getting. So far, Rob's is the only review I've ever seen of it.

A poorly-made toy is just that, no matter what it's of.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Equus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god this review made me laugh. Your bile and anger has been the bright spot for my day. Having spent countless hours assembling resin figures, miniatures, and other random scale model things I can totally relate to the moment of comprehension when you suddenly scream, "You're supposed to put this where with what??!?"
Animuffin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I have snuck out of my skulking around to say:
Rob Bricken, I may love you.

I have since my first AI issue. Now your scathing reviews and pointed hatred of chunks of plastic and resin make my day. I haven't laughed at an ANN article like this in a long time. Fight the good fight against the plastic devil, man. I'd come with you, but my leg just popped off again.
immortalkon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:40 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Came really close to buying the Priss set, had it preordered and everything, but had to cancel due to an unexpected expense. Kinda glad I did now.

In 2005 Atelier-Sai produced high quality figures of the four girls that were supposedly pretty sturdy. Kinda wish I got those now, you can still find them if you look hard enough:

Priss Asagiri Hard Suit
Linna Yamazaki Hard Suit
Sylia Stingray Hard Suit
Nene Romanova Hard Suit

I think I'd rather have the extra parts over the screwy Moto Slave.

Emerje

I was lucky enough to purchase the Atelier-Sai set when it came out and even though I've only seen pics of the new toy line that was reviewed, I do think the Atelier-Sai series seem superior in terms of craftsmanship and details. Eventhough I found them a bit "delicate", they were extremely poseable, and I didn't have any issues with body parts falling off.

I was glad to read this review as I was contemplating about buying this set as well, mostly because they came with a motoslave and I'm just a huge BGC fan in general, but after reading this review and seeing close up pictures, I think I'll save my money. Hopefully they'll make a BGC 2040 line somewhere down the road.
Gundam Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:18 am Reply with quote
Suggestion: Therapy... soon.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
SaveRobotech wrote:

I'm a huge Bubblegum Crisis fan and I disagree with this statement "screw this toy. Even if you're a huge Bubblegum Crisis fan".

Knight Sabers Sanjo!!!!!

Find a way for homedude to get his 60 bucks back and I'm sure everything will be cool.
SaveRobotech

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:

Find a way for homedude to get his 60 bucks back and I'm sure everything will be cool.

Homedude should contact Yamato USA and ask for a replacement leg and joint or set swap with a link to his review. Wouldn't hurt to try, but this toy did crush him mentally and physically so maybe he should just walk away licking his wounds.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote
Set swap would be the way to go, all things considered...
kevin_video

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
You know what bothers me the most about all of this? Nene having a moto-slave. SHE DOESN'T HAVE ONE! At least not in either of the anime I've seen. Priss is only one that had one that turned into a battle suit, and Linna's was just a regular companion type that fought alongside her.

The fact that it's crapsmanship is how it is doesn't surprise me. Just one of those things they make for a quick buck by poor collectors who only think they're getting quality merchandise, and don't even realise that the toy itself shouldn't exist. It's like those people who collect all those different versions of Spider-Man. Why? There's only one Spider-Man. Yeah there's six different costumes, and I wouldn't fault anyone for getting those, but there is a limit to what you should be buying.

Sorry you had to spend that kind of money. Hopefully next time you'll be able to get more bang for you buck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2