• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - From Russia with love

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:12 am Reply with quote
NOOOOO!...*cough*...heh...I mean...awww...I'd put Gad Guard higher...but then Kino's Journey started in that same territory review-wise too and rose at it went along. I have to admitt Gad Guard has a slow beginning but there's just something about it that was fun. Maybe it's because I don't see robot anime much so it's all new to me. And it's got a spiffy hat! And it's Gonzo. I agree with the rest pretty well. I just need to watch more stuff. Yay to the first DVD review set of July.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the review for Gad Guard was only based on the first volume, so it's possible that I'll like it more as it goes on. A lot of series start off a bit slow, but really rise up. Stuff like L/R and Kiddy Grade really get better as the series goes on, IMO.
Ceredonia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:00 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Yeah, the review for Gad Guard was only based on the first volume, so it's possible that I'll like it more as it goes on. A lot of series start off a bit slow, but really rise up. Stuff like L/R and Kiddy Grade really get better as the series goes on, IMO.

Yes, Kiddy Grade started out a little slow, but it got better about DVD 4. Can't wait to see where it goes now. Anime smile And L/R was certainly surprising. Never thought I'd like it at all...then again, I thought the same thing about Heat Guy J and that turned out pretty cool too. ("Bunnyyy...")
And the Wolf's Rain plush Kiba is soooooooooo cute. You should have mentioned that. Anime smile
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Kudos. Wolf's Rain is definently one of the years more comendible anime. I can see it being shelf worthy in a heartbeat, but Miami Guns though? Well, I can't say much without seeing it, but is it only me who is really tired of cheap japanese perspectives of American Cops?

I take that back acctually, Japanese perspectives of americans are hilarious. =P

“The Organization”. That sounds deathly original. =P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Miami Guns has its fun moments and I like some of the references and it's a good first one from AN. But...I dunno...I'll have to wait and see how the comedy pans out. Excel Saga rocked the first disk out...then dulled in the middle...then rose back to a great finish. But Miami Guns is a shorter series, so I hope it doesn't fizzle. The 'flashback' ep is my fav. In regards to Wolf's Rain...*still waiting on net shipped LE pack*...it was great on Adult Swim but...it was on Adult Swim...so it was butchered for tv...I found Cowboy Bebop hard to watch on tv...I've never found anime watchable on tv...it can't fit in the square peg of American TV. I expect to enjoy Wolf's Rain on DVD to an immense degree more than I did on tv.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:23 pm Reply with quote
The Initial D parody rocked my world pretty hard. I may have been a little biased just because of that scene. But Miami Guns just has some sort of weird appeal to me. It's so bloody skewed in its portrayal of cops and Miami, and so cheesy that I can't help but like it.

-_-; I like Miami Guns in the same way that I can't bring myself to take Cosplay Complex off my shelf, even though it scares me to death.
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I like the Miami references...snivelly was funny (the dog that snickers)...and the Ikari reference. Initial D is something I haven't seen yet but the sequence was fun to see. Maybe I was expecting more of a gag ending. I'll have to see it again.

If my biggest anime friends and I lived closer, Cosplay Complex would be an awesome group viewing.

(SPOILERS BECAUSE THESE LINES ARE SO MUCH FUNNIER NEVER HEARD BEFORE)

spoiler[
"Quit playing grab ass over here, ok?"
"I mustn't run away (repeated)" (especially funny since Jenny is wearing a...swan?...at the time and sitting in a waterfall after being...umm...snogged by the main character's mom)
]

Are just classic lines. Oh, is Super-Milk Chan 1 coming soon to Shelf-Life?
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:40 pm Reply with quote
most gonzo animes start off slow and then just get better.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:07 am Reply with quote
Fallen Embers wrote:
If my biggest anime friends and I lived closer, Cosplay Complex would be an awesome group viewing.

(SPOILERS BECAUSE THESE LINES ARE SO MUCH FUNNIER NEVER HEARD BEFORE)
spoiler[

"Quit playing grab ass over here, ok?"
"I mustn't run away (repeated)" (especially funny since Jenny is wearing a...swan?...at the time and sitting in a waterfall after being...umm...snogged by the main character's mom)

]

THere were some pretty great lines in the Cosplay Complex dub. There's a great exchange in the cafe when Chako and her boy toy are talking with What's-her-face running past them in the background muttering things under her breath like, "Less talking, more working!" "I feel like I'm the only person working in here!" That just about redeemed the show for me. Almost. Jenny still scares the bloody hell out of me.

Quote:

Are just classic lines. Oh, is Super-Milk Chan 1 coming soon to Shelf-Life?

Wouldn't miss it for the world.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Fallen Embers, can I ask what you don't like? You're in here championing shows I was pretty sure nobody liked - Cosplay Complex, Magical Play, and now Miami Guns...

I've changed my user icon to an adorable kitten in the hopes that it'll soften the blow of some of my angrier comments.
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Nope...there's very little anime that has displeased me.
(Arjuna was a bit frustrating but still good)
I'm decently picky. For instance Super Milk Chan 1, which I just finished was pretty good but not quite as great as its hype. It was funny but I found the other two to be more enjoyable. When a show is hyped up to be funny it usually doesn't hit that elevated mark as opposed to a show that you expect not so much out of and the amusement takes you by surprise. So that leave me kinda torn between championing these little, easily overlooked guys and selling them too high...and wanting to tell everyone about what fun they were.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I've changed my user icon to an adorable kitten in the hopes that it'll soften the blow of some of my angrier comments.

I dunno, that's one pissed-off-looking kitty, there.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1