• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America to Release Natsume Yūjin-Chō Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taiyz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:00 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Funny and I thought the main selling point of anime in America were the stories and art work.
Yeah exactly! You can get that from streams! Hence why I specified DVD. As in, retail-exclusive features. I don't think an artbook is a good tradeoff for a dub.

That's really the only point I care to rebuke from your post because this has really gotten out of hand. I tried to voice my opinion, but I feel that I'm being antagonized for it. I simply wished to be able to show my favourite anime to a larger audience, and as it stands that's not gonna happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:23 am Reply with quote
I do recall some naming things that are not available in streams and reasons why people collect physical products like DVDs. What you can get from streams is the same thing you get from TV but that doesn't stop millions of people from still choosing to buy physical releases. Also with NISA it isn't a tradeoff between an art book or dub because with NISA there never was going to be a dub and the art books are just for the premium versions. Streaming is nice and a great business model if you can get tons of free user-generated content or cheap licenses but do keep in mind that home video sales is still a large part of the anime industry.

You can still show this anime to an audience. Just make sure they are literate and open enough to listen to a foreign language. That can't be too hard to do in Canada it's not like I'm asking you to speak French.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:57 am Reply with quote
Taiyz wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Funny and I thought the main selling point of anime in America were the stories and art work.
Yeah exactly! You can get that from streams! Hence why I specified DVD. As in, retail-exclusive features. I don't think an artbook is a good tradeoff for a dub.
Actually, for a vast majority of titles I'd much rather have an included artbook than a dub, which to me is an unused feature...

Quote:
I simply wished to be able to show my favourite anime to a larger audience, and as it stands that's not gonna happen.
That is really unfortunate though, especially with a title as awesome as Natsume... but it's such a (regrettably) hidden gem in the Western fandom that a dub just isn't financially feasible. Presuming that the viewers to whom you intended to expose the series are of a reasonably literate age, maybe you can appeal to their sense of quality and ask them to try a subtitled series upon your recommendation? It's surely worth a shot, right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:16 am Reply with quote
I think what people need to understand is what people are looking for in a release is not Universal. Yes for some fans a dub is the deal breaker for others it's not a big deal.

I am by no means anti-dub but having a dub really doesn't matter for me. So yeah in my case an art book plus beautiful packaging I can display on my shelf that makes the release totally worthwhile for me.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote
NIS = Santa for me. Best licensing news ever (well, since House of Five Leaves, which they also licensed.)
gorbal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
It will be while until I can afford this, I usually dislike dubs for myself, but this show would be great to show children so it does make me a bit sad.

I just want the extra;s for myself, I would love to see video of the locations they drew , interviews with the creators, ect.
formerroadie1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:08 am Reply with quote
I am so excited. I have every NISA box and I love when there are more!!!!!!!
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
If I buy nothing else in 2012, all of THIS will be mine! Best news of the year.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Taiyz wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Actually, for a vast majority of titles I'd much rather have an included artbook than a dub, which to me is an unused feature...

Quote:
I simply wished to be able to show my favourite anime to a larger audience, and as it stands that's not gonna happen.
That is really unfortunate though, especially with a title as awesome as Natsume... but it's such a (regrettably) hidden gem in the Western fandom that a dub just isn't financially feasible. Presuming that the viewers to whom you intended to expose the series are of a reasonably literate age, maybe you can appeal to their sense of quality and ask them to try a subtitled series upon your recommendation? It's surely worth a shot, right?

Isn't NISA dubbing Toradora?

If the premium sells well enough they may go back and dub a future release.

I intend to support NISA by buying two copies of each release of this show. (It is that special to me, so yeah.)
K.o.R

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

Oh, where did you hear this? If it's true, then (insert "all of my money" image macro here) Razz
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Oh, where did you hear this? If it's true, then (insert "all of my money" image macro here) Razz

Well,.... I don't know for sure, and that is why I framed it as a question.

Someone?
K.o.R

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat: Well, hope springs eternal anyway.
MrJackle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
K.o.R wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Well,.... I don't know for sure, and that is why I framed it as a question.

Someone?

They never gave any indication that they were going to dub Toradora. Besides, they made it clear that they aren't going to dub their titles.

Quote:
Mitsu then explained that he understood that NIS's prices were high, but he felt justified in the amount of value they've added to the product, and that they needed to “be responsible” with their business model by not adding English dubs, which would need to be funded by their video game revenue.

Source: animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2011/anime-expo/3
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
*FLAILING* YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Why doesn't NIS simply take my wallet now and call it a day? Laughing
Easily the best news I've heard in a long time.

Same.

While I haven't seen half as much as I'd like to (Notimenotimenotime!!), what little I have read/seen of Natsume is amazing. And since I've heard nothing but good things about the ancillary seasons, I can't imagine that impression will change for the worse. Anime hyper BRING IT ON, NIS!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5