• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I, Ms. Answerman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Without being nitpicky, the lu is pronounced pretty similarly in French and English.

Umm... no, it's not.
If a French person were to write down the sound that most English speakers associate with "Lu", he'd write "Lou".

But Lupin's name is pronounced (that is, in the original French version, not the Japanese version) with a French U sound, which is closer to a German U-with-umlaut: ü (and who can ever forget Charlie Chaplin in The Great Dictator, making fun of that sound?).

The Japanese version is three morae: ru-pa-n. No "ü" sound there, since it doesn't occur naturally in Japanese.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
king_micah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:00 pm Reply with quote
From the staff page
Quote:
Chris is a 28 year old network engineer living in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

I think he might know better.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:18 pm Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
From the staff page
Quote:

So, living in Quebec is an automatic guarantee of French skills? By the same logic, Mr. Kim from the local Korean market in Anytown, America might speak better English than both of us. Last I looked, Quebec was not uniformly francophone.

As for me - moi, je parle français. I'm not a 100% native speaker, but I do know how to speak French. And, moreover, pronounce it.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Genjackel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:26 pm Reply with quote
The reason they say Lupan is because when Lupin the III was first brought over to the US and released, there was a translation error and it was called Lupan the III, thats why the dub says Lupan. (or was it Rupin or Rupan... i dont remember, but whoever translated it got it all wrong) Pretty simple. AS was just kind and changed the title back to its orignial name. But you can countinue arguing over pronounciation, its quite amusing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Genjackel wrote:
The reason they say Lupan is because when Lupin the III was first brought over to the US and released, there was a translation error and it was called Lupan the III, thats why the dub says Lupan. (or was it Rupin or Rupan... i don't remember, but whoever translated it got it all wrong) Pretty simple. AS was just kind and changed the title back to its orignial name. But you can countinue arguing over pronounciation, its quite amusing.

"Whoever translated it" probably just transliterated the name from Japanese, which would make it Lupan or Rupan - being ignorant of the original Arsène Lupin (Lupin I, if you will).

By the way, what is this "dub" thing you speak of? Laughing

Oh, and welcome to the forums. I guess.

- abunai
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:04 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
king_micah wrote:
From the staff page
Quote:

So, living in Quebec is an automatic guarantee of French skills? By the same logic, Mr. Kim from the local Korean market in Anytown, America might speak better English than both of us. Last I looked, Quebec was not uniformly francophone.

As for me - moi, je parle français. I'm not a 100% native speaker, but I do know how to speak French. And, moreover, pronounce it.

- abunai

Self-important much?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:36 pm Reply with quote
sinistertaco wrote:
Self-important much?

As fascinating as this insight into your past as a telegram office clerk is, I don't see that it adds to the conversation. Wink

-abunai
hooliganj

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Genjackel wrote:
The reason they say Lupan is because when Lupin the III was first brought over to the US and released, there was a translation error and it was called Lupan the III, thats why the dub says Lupan. (or was it Rupin or Rupan... i don't remember, but whoever translated it got it all wrong) Pretty simple. AS was just kind and changed the title back to its orignial name. But you can countinue arguing over pronounciation, its quite amusing.

If I remember correctly, the 'Rupan' spelling was used because there were two different companies licensing the movies, and they weren't allowed to use the same title. One company got to stick with 'Lupin', and the other went with the romanization 'Rupan'.

And I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that the translators for Evangelion just went with the Japanese pronunciation, rather than research the origin of the word.
jfrog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I believe it was a copyright thing. In the 60's Japan had pretty loose copyright laws, so Monkey Punch was able to create a character based on Arsene Lupin without paying Maurice Leblanc any royalties, and Lupin III was a cultural institution by the time the law changed. But the copyright only expired recently in America, hence Rupan III.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:43 pm Reply with quote
In a weird way, that actually makes sense. If there's one thing I've learned about the American legal system, it is this: when analysing the reasons for an event, don't attribute to mere stupidity or ignorance that which can be attributed to absurd legalistic attempts to avoid having to pay damages in a hypothetical civil suit.

Hence, the proliferation of silly warning labels. On everything. And all sorts of byzantine maneuverings to avoid the appearance of having infringed on someone else's copyright. Even when plagiarism is evident for all to see.

- abunai
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Warning labels like "This product may contain peanuts" on a bag of peanuts?
jfrog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Or "Warning: Wearing This Garment Does Not Enable You to Fly" on a Superman costume.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Genjackel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Or the "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals" on a chainsaw... would hate to be the guy who caused them to put that warning on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:40 am Reply with quote
Genjackel wrote:
Or the "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals" on a chainsaw... would hate to be the guy who caused them to put that warning on.

It's posts like these that make me like you guys. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:24 am Reply with quote
For myself, I've always considered the very best part of Jurassic Park to be the scene where they're trying to flee from a Tyrannosaurus Rex in a car, and you can see the T-Rex in the rear-view mirror, along with the warning label: "Warning: Objects in rear-view mirror are closer than they appear."

I get a big kick out of that. Smile

- abunai
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3