• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Afro Samurai Blu-Ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
i find it interesting how Gonzo's crossover stuff always looks really great, but their Japanese projects (as of recently, at least) always have crap production quality.
Paludis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i find it interesting how Gonzo's crossover stuff always looks really great, but their Japanese projects (as of recently, at least) always have crap production quality.

The crossovers probably have a much larger budget.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
Paludis wrote:
v1cious wrote:

The crossovers probably have a much larger budget.

yeah that's what i figured, but it still seems like they could allocate resources to their long-term projects.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this show looks and sounds pretty, and confirmed that Samuel L Jackson is an awesome voice actor, but I'd give the story worse than a C+. It was just... dumb, predictable, and nonsensical, in spite of the fact that those three should be contradictory. Anyway, to each their own; I know fans will love having this on Blu-Ray.
Labbes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Yeah, this show looks and sounds pretty, and confirmed that Samuel L Jackson is an awesome voice actor, but I'd give the story worse than a C+

I have to admit that, story-wise, this was one of the worst anime I have ever seen. It's "coolness" is plain laughable, and the sidekick (Ninja Ninja?) was one of the most annoying characters I have ever seen in all fiction. The animation was great, but the story, to me, was a downright F, and this title would definitely make it into a "Worst 5 anime" list if I had one.
Good review, though Very Happy
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the story and characterization were total flops...but it had gorgeous animation and Samuel L., so I couldn't help but enjoy it. No way I'd shell out Blu-Ray prices for it, though, even if I had a player. Razz
halo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
No way I'd shell out Blu-Ray prices for it, though, even if I had a player. Razz

Yeah, the extra $3 is a bunch of crap!
spooksmagee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
I picked this up the other week at Best Buy, it looks simply gorgeous. Highly recommend if you have a Blu-ray player that needs some love.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1