• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh! License Is Still in Force, Court Rules

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote
So it's like Harmony Gold and Big West all over again, huh? Japan needs better lawyers. Maybe that's why they love Phoenix Wright so much. Laughing
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:12 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
So it's like Harmony Gold and Big West all over again, huh? Japan needs better lawyers. Maybe that's why they love Phoenix Wright so much. Laughing
Not exactly, because the fault seems to lie with the Japanese company itself as opposed to them having proper legal defense on their side (or prosecution, I suppose in this case).
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
I had a feeling that 4Kids would win this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Not exactly, because the fault seems to lie with the Japanese company itself as opposed to them having proper legal defense on their side (or prosecution, I suppose in this case).

More than the U.S. judges will almost always decides towards an American company when Japanese (and East Asian) companies are dealed.

If they were from another Western country (like England or Germany, P.E) they will suing them to the oblivion.
tetron

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Like characters in the Yu-Gi-Oh! series itself, 4Kids and the Consortium were locked in a high stakes duel over the future of the series in the Western world and, by extension, the survival of 4Kids as a going concern.

I really like this judge comparing the show with real life Very Happy
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
... More than the U.S. judges will almost always decides towards an American company when Japanese (and East Asian) companies are dealed. ...

That may or may not be true in general, but since this would seem to be an open and shut case in terms of US contract law ~ that is, the kitchen sink approach falls down if any single one of the claims is invalid, and they themselves withdrew most of them ~ this case is rather evidence that the Japanese rights owner attempted a tactic that could only have succeeded if 4Kids had folded without a legal fight.

But then, under US bankruptcy law, the creditors would obviously purse the fight anyway, so "4Kids folding without a fight" was not a credible scenario.

Using this case to argue that US courts discriminate against East Asian companies does more to undermine than support the claim. It makes it sound like a face saving excuse for their own lawyers.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Someone cue up the Star Wars imperial march music. So much for there ever being a watchable dub.

Only saw the first few couple eisodes of ZeXal dubbed.. but all the edits really were facepalm worthy. I can only imagine how they handle the later episodes. They must blow half their budget on Kotori alone given all the digital paint I saw them throw her way.

I think a big factor is Japan's legal system being fairly different. The US does have a notorious legal system when it comes to this stuff (SOPA just being one recent incursion of it) When Japan deals with the US, they should probably hire some middle-men to make sure the contracts are on the up and up before they sign something, and not rely on 'good faith' so much like it's done in Japan.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I long for the day when 4Kids goes out of business.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Well the U.S. has no scene of tradition or the ability to honor people's wishes unless they were written down. I'm assuming that in Japan the request to reclaim the license would have been enough. Then again the only copyright battle i know of is the one over Yamato. Which i think has been rendered moot now that one party as passed away. I'll point out how a year after Nishizaki passed Leiji's Yamato nock off #37 gets announced as an anime.

Well we I guess we should just continue to tell our kids not to watch Sat AM cartoons on Broadcast Channels. How much longer are they able to hold the rights for this damn show anyway?
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the update ANN, I am so relieved that 4Kids will continue to be able to english dub Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal.
VicMcDastardly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
God dammit, soooo close, so close to finally be rid of 4kids *sigh*
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
KHAAAAAAN!

(Yeah, I know. Hush.)
burnpsy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
Well we I guess we should just continue to tell our kids not to watch Sat AM cartoons on Broadcast Channels. How much longer are they able to hold the rights for this damn show anyway?

They should have the rights for around 5 more years, I think.

So, until ZEXAL ends.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Like characters in the Yu-Gi-Oh! series itself, 4Kids and the Consortium were locked in a high stakes duel over the future of the series in the Western world and, by extension, the survival of 4Kids as a going concern. On March 24, 2011, the Consortium attempted to end the duel by issuing a letter that purports to terminate its licensing agreement with 4Kids."

Lol good to see they have a sense of humor.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
"the invalidity of any single one of these Findings is sufficient to support the ultimate conclusion that termination was ineffective."

I've seen better reasoning and handling of financial disputes on the People's Court.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7