• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Buso Renkin DVD Box Set 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master Kashi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow, ok review, but you completely missed the point of the show. The main character is not kenshin, he's not your standard shonen hero, he's a human who got tossed into all this mess. He doesn't have any training, he doesn't have the special skills, he fights with something we all have inside ourselves... heart, courage, and the will to help people. Sorry if he's not superman, but neither are you.

Can I ask if you actually paid attention to the show?
Cowboy25

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Ditto Master Kashi! I disagree with a lot of the points in this review. I thought Buso Renkin was a excellent example of a shonen type anime. I especially thought that the musical score was well done. An example would be the score in Episode 26 spoiler[ Where Tokkiko and the Alchemist Army discover Kazuki is alive and make ready to retrieve him...it was very heroic. All in all I enjoyed this anime very much and would recommend it to my fellow anime fans.]
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Master Kashi wrote:
Wow, ok review, but you completely missed the point of the show. The main character is not kenshin, he's not your standard shonen hero, he's a human who got tossed into all this mess. He doesn't have any training, he doesn't have the special skills, he fights with something we all have inside ourselves... heart, courage, and the will to help people. Sorry if he's not superman, but neither are you.

Can I ask if you actually paid attention to the show?

Yes! Your post just gave me an excuse to use this picture:

I may be grateful to you for giving this picture purpose, but the very fact that it gave it purpose easily diminished a few of my braincells.

Fanboyism never makes good arguments. It simply gives people like me to use pictures like that. Smile
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
He's the standard shounen hero, # ( choose the ordering, there's only like three of them anyway ), and too me, this review is right on the mark. I haven't seen the second half, but I bought the first half and don't even remember watching it; the only reason I know I did was because it's sitting in my "watched" area of dvds; I usually complete whatever series I start, but this is the first one that has seriously made me consider not doing so. The art was bland, the characters were really boring, and the action was mediocre at best. After the first disc, I actually stopped watching, and only went back during a lull in my watching schedule.

I don't really know what to say, except not horrible is probably the best.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I'd disagree adamantly on a few points.

A.) I agree with Master Kashi on his point about Kazuki. He's not supposed to be a Kenshin type hero, he's the every-man type hero. Frankly, seems like you pulled that comparison from your nether region, that you did. Wink They aren't remotely similiar nor were they meant to be, but I suppose if you like the Kenshin type more then that's fine, my preference is the 3rd type of shounen hero, the delinquent with an atitude. However both of them were intersting and likable characters in my opinion.

B.) I'd rate the story a "B+" personally. Sure it had lots of cliches but I found it did them in original ways. Not to mention, it was made of pure fun extract, and just very enjoyable to watch. It's just so full of energy, drive, action, humor, and a general feeling of edge of your seat epic-ness similiar to why I liked Scryed. I also give it high marks for having a huge rarity in shounen, a romance that actually goes somewhere, which puts it above most shounen fighting series.

C.) The series was much better in the second half in my opinion. I enjoyed the darker turn it took, the battles increased in number and quality, the romance was featured more prominantly. I'd say it also balanced that with humor just to the right degree for my liking.

Otherwise, yeah, the music was odd at points but still had some good stuff, the animation wasn't anything special, and it wasn't an "art" piece, no.

Last edited by Kruszer on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
x1onexwo1fx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I found it kind of hard to get past the first episode. I know I never did. Knowing it's Nobuhiro Watsuki, my expectations were way too high, and as a relatively seasoned anime viewer, my standards for anime worth watching were also already too high. I can't base my opinion on this series on much, but this review didn't exactly surprise me.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:23 am Reply with quote
One thing I've always liked to attribute to the story, or characters of Busou Renkin is that spoiler[the romantic relationship actually reaches some reasonable base, without leading us through an awful bout of drama to do so, or after the fact.

I felt that the romantic undertones of the Rurouni Kenshin anime series' were merely "there" and too shallow to truly care about. Typical shounen blushing and denial when it's brought up, and suitably managing to ruin any action or comedic scene with how deftly it was handled. It was nice to see Kenshin protect Kaoru on a few occasions, but it got tiresome. A kiss, or an "I love you" couldn't hurt, but no, they just leave everything to our imaginations between the TV series and the Reflection OVA leaving the previous romantic undertones as merely an excuse for forced laughs.]

When it comes down to looking at Kazuki as a shounen lead, I can only think of how few anime characters completely fail to make the move that he did with Tokiko, rendering their entire lead-up a pointless waste of my time. I say way to go Busou Renkin; Kazuki made me proud.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Uthred

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote
abstract-alchemist wrote:
...this review is right on the mark. I haven't seen the second half, ...

You dont see the logical disconnect between these two sentences?
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Taiyz wrote:
When it comes down to looking at Kazuki as a shounen lead, I can only think of how few anime characters completely fail to make the move that he did with Tokiko, rendering their entire lead-up a pointless waste of my time. I say way to go Busou Renkin; Kazuki made me proud.

That's what I liked the best about Busou Renkin. The main couple's relationship actually went somewhere and we got to see how, while other shows would skip a few years and show them married with a kid.

The Victor plot gave the show a great epic feel, too. While I merely tolerated the first half of the series, the second half made me absolutely glad I stuck with it.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I have to disagree with this review (again) on some aspects.

Namely the The Kenshin comparison: It's actually something that was a pet peeve of mine since the manga first came out. People are always acting like Busou Renkin was supposed to be "Kenshin 2000." Kazuki was never supposed to be like Kenshin. He was supposed to be the normal high school nice guy thrown into a battle to save the people around him. He wasn't the deep guy, the loser, or the Mr. Popular, but the average nice guy with a modern sense of chivalry. He didn't need to be as deep as Tokiko or Bravo, beacause he was only boring average joe until the death. He was a simple guy who did everything he could possibly do in the situation he was in. Fight to help with the newfound power and get the hot chick.

I for one thought Busou Renkin took all the typical shounen tropes, and used them to it's advantage by making the show a fun, short ride. Though I do agree that the music was mostly unspectacular with the exception of the opening.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Two things about the review in general:

-I find it perfectly okay for there to be a comparison to Kenshin. Buso Renkin could have been a horribly unrelated romantic comedy show featuring a guy living in an all-girls dorm or something like that and it would still likely be compared to Kenshin. Why? Because Nobuhiro Watsuki made it. Anyone who's seen any of Watsuki's prior work(s) would come into this having a certain expectation of quality, which apparently Buso Renkin has failed to meet.

To be honest, there are plenty of "average" people who can also be dynamic characters. They aren't mutually exclusive and saying that they are fails to grasp the concept of good storytelling.

-People seem to forget that "opinion" and "tautology" are not synonyms. You are able to wholeheartedly disagree with this review and buy the show and enjoy it as you please.
enoah ballard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
It's a sad state of affairs when any lead in a shounen adventure series who isn't angst-ridden, a murderer, or half-retarded is seen as "bland".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1