• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Manga in the USA

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Multiple repeated grafs: "In that same month…", "If you jump just one year…", etc.
giseki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Multiple repeated grafs: "In that same month…", "If you jump just one year…", etc.

yeah lol just kept going on about lone wolf and cub
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Strange. Should be fixed now.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Strange. Should be fixed now.

Yeah, looks better. Thanks.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit that I was momentarily confused when Mike Toole wrote, "Go Nagai's Dynamic Planning also have a history of experimenting with the domestic market," apparently referring to selling Go Nagai's work in the U.S.. I would think that the domestic market for a Japanese company would be the Japanese, and the U.S. would be a foreign marketplace.
rinscewind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Your article, nicely written and enjoyed as usual, references:

Quote:
While the first printing of Gen of Hiroshima # 1 sold out, this just made it harder to shift copies of #2 - and despite receiving notable critical acclaim and, bizarrely, an angry rant from Virginia Congressman Thomas J. Bliley, who'd seen the comic and wrongly assumed it was made for schoolchildren, I Saw It! didn't sell enough to break even.

As this topic has to do with "[...] eliminat[ing] the threat of any further use of nuclear weapons", I was interested in more historical context. It seems in line with some of the idiocy that the current version of the GOP spouts, both in attitude and factual accuracy, and having a historical reference point - regardless of what the context was - is helpful in any number of ways.

I am hoping you'd be kind enough to post links or point me to where I can read more about his rant. I've only found unrelated articles on the senator - looking into big tobacco, etc.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to your next articles.
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Nice stuff! And for anyone interested, I discuss the manga that appears in Concerned Theatre Japan a bit more in an old Brain Diving column of mine.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It is too important to leave behind.

Especially now.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Historical manga epics are well-loved nowadays, but Kamui was one of the first that really carried cultural cachet (it was the first serialized story to appear in Japan's trendsetting Garo manga magazine) and had a story that mixed fearless social criticism with its tales of ninja derring-do. Viz's release featured beautiful, more modern-looking color covers by Shirato and his studio, and they did take the series into book form in reprints, but the vast majority of the voluminous 23-book series remains unreleased in English.

My understanding is that the Kamui that Viz published was taken from a much later (1980s, I think), much shorter side story - not from the original 1960s epic that appeared in Garo.
Also, weren't those Kamai floppies (as well as Area 88 and Mai) first adapted by Studio Proteus and published by Eclipse Comics rather than by Viz (who did the later collected editions)? Or were they a joint venture by Viz and Eclipse? None of the Eclipse manga I own mentions Viz anywhere but I only have the trades of those first three titles so I'm not sure.

---

If we're including single-panel cartoons, the earliest translated manga I've managed to find was a single page in Best Cartoons From Abroad No. 2, published here in the UK in 1958. Last time I looked, it could still be bought for just a few pounds on amazon.co.uk if anyone's interested in picking it up.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:57 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Also, weren't those Kamai floppies (as well as Area 88 and Mai) first adapted by Studio Proteus and published by Eclipse Comics rather than by Viz (who did the later collected editions)? Or were they a joint venture by Viz and Eclipse? None of the Eclipse manga I own mentions Viz anywhere but I only have the trades of those first three titles so I'm not sure.

IIRC Studio Proteus did translation and adaptation for some early Viz/Eclipse titles.
rti9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
The Tokyo Puck image is displayed twice. The next-to-last image of the 1968 student journal should probably be something like this.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that there were any manga available in English in the 1980's. Or the 1960's or 70's,to be honest. It's a very astonishing thing. I guess you learn something new every day.
Leonard Rifas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
[...] despite receiving notable critical acclaim and, bizarrely, an angry rant from Virginia Congressman Thomas J. Bliley, who'd seen the comic and wrongly assumed it was made for schoolchildren[...].

Quote:
As this topic has to do with "[...] eliminat[ing] the threat of any further use of nuclear weapons", I was interested in more historical context. It seems in line with some of the idiocy that the current version of the GOP spouts, both in attitude and factual accuracy, and having a historical reference point - regardless of what the context was - is helpful in any number of ways.

I am hoping you'd be kind enough to post links or point me to where I can read more about his rant. [....].

Thomas Bliley's comments can be found in the transcript of the Hearings "Children’s Fears of Wars. Youth and Families. United States Congress House Select Committee on Children. 1984, page 134."

I did not find his comments "bizarre" and when I read them, I did not interpret his tone as "angry." One might guess that having a comic book that I had published singled out for criticism in this very public way formed a memorable part of my history as a publisher, and it did… twenty-three years later when, to my complete astonishment, I discovered his testimony for the first time while “ego-surfing” on the web. No one had told me about it.

I published Nakazawa's work, not to promote a particular party or political perspective, but to raise awareness about an issue that concerns all of us. People disagree about how best to prevent nuclear war. Nakazawa's work helps us understand more deeply what it is that we are trying to prevent from happening again.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Leonard Rifas wrote:
Thomas Bliley's comments can be found in the transcript of the Hearings "Children’s Fears of Wars. Youth and Families. United States Congress House Select Committee on Children. 1984, page 134."

I did not find his comments "bizarre" and when I read them, I did not interpret his tone as "angry." One might guess that having a comic book that I had published singled out for criticism in this very public way formed a memorable part of my history as a publisher, and it did… twenty-three years later when, to my complete astonishment, I discovered his testimony for the first time while “ego-surfing” on the web. No one had told me about it.

Congressmen can be stuffy old men about a lot of things though.
rinscewind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
@Leonard Rifas:

Thanks for the reply. Context is everything. Just a little on why I asked, if it matters:

At times groups or individuals will give voice to thier preferences and desires instead of working towards a better understanding or a balance. One of the current mindsets that seems to have become prevalent among religious-minded activists is that somehow the Constitution indicates that they have a right to not be offended - take the 'Happy Holidays' vs. the 'Merry Christmas' thing that some are trying to turn into a debate ... 'Don't take the Christ out of Christmas', etc. Such people either don't understand the origins of what the Yule Tree is all about or else don't accept the reality of it.

Consider that the same people will happily sing along to 'The Twelve Days of Christmas' without understanding that the origins of the twelve day festival are seated in pre-Christian practices (Saturnalia, etc.) and that the Church liked to change the meaning of Pagan traditions into Christian ones - for instance, no one knows when Christ was actually born but his birthday is celebrated on the same day as that of the Winter Solstice (on the Julian calendar) and so instead of 'everyone' being a participant in an ingrained pagan celebration recognising non-Christian sun gods, given enough time people would associate the festivities with Christianity instead.

To get back to the topic from your article, considering the area of the country in question - just a few years ago a census taker was hanged with the letters "Fed" scrawled in his chest - I was curious as to the reasons for his addressing of the comic. I had started with an impression (not an assumption) that, him being a Republican from Virginia, a fundamentalist-type mentality would have been the motivator. Upon reading more on his efforts as a senator, to me he seemed a quite level-headed person who didn't act upon any such personal bias.

In recent years a number of efforts to ban anime and manga have been started, with (as far as I know) little success. A single Christian-minded mother with a mentally handicapped son said he really wigged out after seeing a violent anime and she tried to start a campaign to ban it all. Some parents (mothers, usually) have tried to have any and all such things removed from libraries as being offensive, "Save our kids brains!" being the gist of thier arguments.

I'd just wondered if the senator had provided balanced context on his commentary. Please note that my perspective is about understanding and does not single out anyone or any particular belief. It is just that many needless complications to society (The South Carolina Incandescent Light Bulb Freedom Act, for instance) happen to come from an under-educated frame of reference which can include large numbers of otherwise intellegent people, and negative commentary on an anti-war effort based on the method of presentation would fit the bill. I am happy to have had the wrong impression.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2