• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Manga in the USA

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Leonard is kind enough to sell copies of "I Saw It!" to anyone out there who wants to ask. I've had my copy of this fabled issue for a good 7 or 8 years now myself. I thought about posting it to one of my blogs a while ago, but perhaps I should ask for Mr. Rifas' blessing if possible. Wink
ly000001

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Mike, for that link to that Concerned Theatre Japan publication! Very Happy The last time I saw that "Stopcock" story was over 20 years ago, and only partially in a book purportedly covering everything about Japan.

Snomaster1 wrote:
I'm surprised that there were any manga available in English in the 1980's.

And now you know Smile (the first ones I bought were the premiere issues of Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind and Grey, although Lone Wolf and Cub and the others Mike mentioned were already out at the time)
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:46 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Quote:
Historical manga epics are well-loved nowadays, but Kamui was one of the first that really carried cultural cachet (it was the first serialized story to appear in Japan's trendsetting Garo manga magazine) and had a story that mixed fearless social criticism with its tales of ninja derring-do. Viz's release featured beautiful, more modern-looking color covers by Shirato and his studio, and they did take the series into book form in reprints, but the vast majority of the voluminous 23-book series remains unreleased in English.

My understanding is that the Kamui that Viz published was taken from a much later (1980s, I think), much shorter side story - not from the original 1960s epic that appeared in Garo.

Correct—see the entry on pages 188–9 of Manga: The Complete Guide. Animemania's entry states

Quote:
The Legend of Kamui[…]

This manga is based on The Other Story of Kamui (Kamui gaiden) which just recently began serialization again in Japan with the story by Sanpei Shirato and the art by Teppei Okamoto. There is also an earlier version of the Kamui saga by Sanpei Shirato entitled The Story of Kamui (Kamui den).

Moomintroll wrote:
Also, weren't those Kamai floppies (as well as Area 88 and Mai) first adapted by Studio Proteus and published by Eclipse Comics rather than by Viz (who did the later collected editions)? Or were they a joint venture by Viz and Eclipse? None of the Eclipse manga I own mentions Viz anywhere but I only have the trades of those first three titles so I'm not sure.

Yes—Viz Communications (as it was then) partnered with Eclipse Comics for the first year-plus (through November 1988) for publishing and distribution, with Studio Proteus doing the localization.

::::::

Mike: you should have asked me about this—like Mr. Schodt, this is one of my passions. (If you ever do a companion column on early American anime/manga news fanzines and magazines, I've got most of those, too—at least the ones that were distributed to comic stores. E.g., Mangazine Vol. 2, Animag, V-Max, Animenominous, etc.)

First, while it was published outside the time period we are discussing, the art exhibition book Manga, Comic Strip Books from Japan (also here; ISBN 1873184026) is valuable for its nearly complete list of early English-translated manga. I've got a spare copy I can sell you for cost ($30.39), but cheaper copies are available. If you want I can bring it to Arisia to show you.

Second, a nod of the head to Manga, about which Mr. Thompson did a column in back in October. It was published in Japan circa 1983–84, but Books Nippan (sic) imported it.

Mike Toole wrote:
RAW, the comics zine by Pulitzer-winning cartoonist Art Spiegelman and editor Françoise Mouly, published an issue with several manga stories in 1985. I can't find a copy, have you got one?

Manga, Comic Strip Books from Japan lists both Vol. 1 No. 7 and Vol. 2 No. 7 of RAW as having manga ("Red Flowers" and "Oba's Electroplate Factory", respectively, both by Yoshiharu Tsuge), though Animemania lists only three issues of volume 2, which Wikipedia states is correct (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAW_(magazine)); apparently "Vol. 2 No. 7" should be "Vol. 2 No. 2". I've never found either of them—though BookFinder.com has a number of copies of each (search for the keywords "raw" and "spiegelman").

Lastly, in the column the cover of Tokyo Puck is shown twice, the first time instead of the cover of the 1968 student journal (whose link leads me to a blank page).
rti9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Lastly, in the column the cover of Tokyo Puck is shown twice, the first time instead of the cover of the 1968 student journal (whose link leads me to a blank page).

The link is a 40MB PDF of the comic book mentioned by Toole.

I suggest them to replace the image with something like this:
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:

The link is a 40MB PDF of the comic book mentioned by Toole.

Ah. After I posted, I noticed that I had downloaded a file, but the lack of a filename extension defeated my attempts to open it. Now that I've added the ".pdf", it has opened just fine.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Manga, Comic Strip Books from Japan lists both Vol. 1 No. 7 and Vol. 2 No. 7 of RAW as having manga ("Red Flowers" and "Oba's Electroplate Factory", respectively, both by Yoshiharu Tsuge), though Animemania lists only three issues of volume 2, which Wikipedia states is correct (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAW_(magazine)); apparently "Vol. 2 No. 7" should be "Vol. 2 No. 2". I've never found either of them—though BookFinder.com has a number of copies of each (search for the keywords "raw" and "spiegelman").

RAW switched to a book format in its second volume and, yes, there were only three of them; 2.2 is correct for Oba's Electroplate Factory.
I don't know what its availability is like in the US but it can be bought quite cheaply in the UK - there's one on amazon.co.uk for as little as £2.21 right now.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Great article! You're right that as you go back further and further, you can find all kinds of weird little fragments of Japanese comics that were translated into English. The obscure bilingual ones published in Japan (like the pre-Viz edition of Urusei Yatsura) are reaaaallllly hard to find.

The deal with Eclipse and Viz was: Viz wanted to launch in the US market, but they didn't really know anything about how to do it, so they partnered with Eclipse. The first few Viz books were thus released under dual Eclipse/Viz branding. Once Viz started feeling more confident, they broke off from Eclipse (or didn't renew their contract; I don't know exactly how) and went totally independent from them, while Eclipse continued to work with Toren Smith's Studio Proteus for awhile and published a handful of other manga without Viz.

Most of the people I've talked to have said it was a rather rocky partnership, with the Eclipse people not being particularly into manga. Apparently Eclipse later felt some animosity towards Viz afterwards, or at least someone at Eclipse did, judging from the fact that they later printed "Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters Massacre the Japanese Invasion" in 1989. -_-;;;;

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=114051
prabb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
When do we get a column about Danzig's Verotik label and his attempts at bringing over Devilman?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2