• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment to Stop Releasing New DVDs, BDs, Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spoofer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
Gdi.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
So, um, FUNimation is proud to present the Anime Classics BD set of Haruhi Suzumiya?

At least Bandai is trying to finish it current releases. I would have been very unhappy to see Gundam 0079 dropped after finally getting a proper R1 release.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this is maybe more an example of how having the same region for Blu-Ray in the U.S. and Japan is begining to impact the Anime business in the U.S.

Mark Gosdin
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Instead, Bandai Entertainment will focus on licensing rights to other companies, particularly in digital distribution, broadcast, and merchandising. The company will be restructured as a result, and most of its contractors and three of its five fulltime staff members will be laid off.

Sad to see the people lose their jobs.

But...AHAHAHA!

BROADCAST? AHAHAHAHA! Oh god, my sides. You can literally count the anime that don't have some sort of North American cosponsor with some sort of toy tie in.

Another win for fansubbers and another loss for actual fans.

Still pissed about Turn A though. Come on, Funi, Sentai or some other license people! Pick the series up and actually promote it via commercials and actual publicity!

EDIT:
Quote:
subsidiary of Namco Bandai Holdings (USA)

Oh. Nevermind. Nice going, SCAMDAI NAMTROLL.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Gundam0084

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
No Turn A Gundam? What the hell? Bandai has been promising the release of this for years! Screw you, Bandai. Looks like we'll never get Double Zeta or any of the older Gundam shows, either. Fantastic.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Still pissed about Turn A though. Come on, Funi, Sentai or some other license people! Pick the series up and actually promote it via commercials and actual publicity!

And a dub, Annika Odegard does a fine Loran in the Dynasty Warriors: Gundam games.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
This is terrible news. While it could be much worse I still hate to see another anime company turn into a ghost. Funimation and Sentai seemed to realize that singles and overpriced boxsets just wouldn't cut it (in most cases).

I wanted to get K-ON but I have to wait for a collection because I gave up on singles years ago. So does this mean they'll have another company shipping dvds? And what does this mean for their voice actors? I just don't get how a company that has had several major anime properties in the past few years seems to have fallen so badly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
So this means I have to put off all my other purchases to buy every Bandai anime I've ever wanted? Damn. So hopefully the Gundam franchises get picked up by somebody else. If not, I guess that's the end of that franchise in R1.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
And what does this mean for their voice actors?

Well I know they use Bang Zoom and Ocean Group for a majority of their stuff so that means they will probably have less work and Bang Zoom will probably stop dubbing anime. Ocean Group will still have work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
So does this mean they'll have another company shipping dvds?
This will be answered by tomorrow's article.

Quote:

And what does this mean for their voice actors?
The VA's don't actually work for BEI, they're freelancers who do a lot of other (non-anime) work. Unfortunately they now have one less client. For some of them (who focus more on anime), this could be a big loss of income, for others it's not that big of a deal.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
I wondered about this a bit after they announced that their store was closing. Very sad news. Though I questioned the effectiveness of releasing single DVDs in this era of boxsets, I always thought that Bandai Ent's releases as some of the highest quality anime.

I feel selfish saying something like this in the context of a company closing and layoffs, but...

Someone, please release K-ON!! !. It's my favorite series and I would be really depressed if it never made it to the states. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoofbites

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
What the hell?!!

Quote:
Instead, Bandai Entertainment will focus on licensing rights to other companies, particularly in digital distribution, broadcast, and merchandising.

Digital distribution will never replace physical releases in my eyes as long as the things I want to watch are locked to a particular service (which may go down at any time), lack special features (Disney Movies Online being an exception), and usually don't offer a choice between subs and dubs for those shows that have dubs.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
While this doesn't end Gundam Unicorn, I do wonder if it's going to be finished on DVD since that's been released under the BEI label. I hope so, it's much to good to not be accessible in an affordable format...

With current & past licenses still getting distributed it's at least not as bad as a Geneon situation, but the cancelled releases are bad news and it's really sad to see such a long-time player in the industry suffer through this. For all its missteps as far as distribution & marketing goes, a whole lot of Bandai releases are favorites of mine.

One wonders where Gundam AGE & successors will end up, and whether we'll see the likes of Turn A at all...but older stuff does still get picked up these days. We'll see.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
How the fudge could Bandai turn their backs on us fans? We have supported them for decades and now they suddenly turn around and stop releasing physical products? Wrong move, Bandai! There is no reason to license Gosick and then turn around and say "fudge YOU OTAKUS!"

FUNimation should just get it over with and buy Bandai.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
oh no indeed it rather be take feb month off only cause really it keep up.

yea we got to do something to help bandai give us anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 24