• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment to Stop Releasing New DVDs, BDs, Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DTJB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
WHOA! HOLD UP! Shocked They were actually going to release Turn A???
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:

Yup, and they even made a trailer for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNMnxNEmL0o
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
DTJB wrote:

Yup, and they even made a trailer for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNMnxNEmL0o

Oh lord, just watching that now makes me so depressed. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:12 am Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
Well of course it's all just conjecture at the moment. But I don't think it's just okay to not think about these sorts of things, because this is a real possibility that the anime industry could be facing

Well look, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with speculating about what this could hypothetically mean but getting all worked up into a panic over some hypothetical scenario is just silly. Right now, nothing especially major has happened and there's no reason to assume this will automatically lead to something major happening.

Quote:
But if we don't keep a close eye on the situation, the whole industry could start changing slowly without us even noticing!

Uh...this ain't particle physics. I'm pretty sure the industry will change in exactly the same manner whether we observe it or not.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:18 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Uh...this ain't particle physics. I'm pretty sure the industry will change in exactly the same manner whether we observe it or not.

But the industry is closely watching this very thread to determine its next move.

Indeed, your posts MY HAVE ALREADY CHANGED THE FUTURE (of anime).

Last edited by samuelp on Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:20 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

But the industry is closely watching this very thread to determining its next move.

Stein's Industry? Schroedinger's Business Model?

Or the opposite of Schroedinger's Cat ... the industry will not be definitely alive or dead until the thread is closed ... it will only be one or the other when the thread closes.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:23 am Reply with quote
I heard about this shortly before I checked ANN, and I nearly had a panic attack. But after it was explained that nothing already released is going out of print and that they're merely ceasing licensing and distribution of new titles, I was relieved. There's still a lot of Bandai titles I haven't gotten around to buying yet, so I'm glad I won't have to go on a binge and start buying up everything Bandai. Still, it's sad to see this happen to them. Hopefully we'll still get to see them license out stuff like unreleased and future Gundam titles (like Turn A) out to Funimation, Sentai, and/or Viz.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
CG-LOVER wrote:
Well of course it's all just conjecture at the moment. But I don't think it's just okay to not think about these sorts of things, because this is a real possibility that the anime industry could be facing

Well look, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with speculating about what this could hypothetically mean but getting all worked up into a panic over some hypothetical scenario is just silly. Right now, nothing especially major has happened and there's no reason to assume this will automatically lead to something major happening.

Quote:
But if we don't keep a close eye on the situation, the whole industry could start changing slowly without us even noticing!

Alright, alright. I know there's not exactly much we can do even if we see things starting to change. I just think it's a good idea to keep observing the situation so we aren't too surprised by the result of all of this.

I'm not making any assumptions here, I'm just discussing what could possibly happen because of this. If I look like I'm having a panic attack then I apologize. Again, I just want to explore all of the possible outcomes here, so if one of them happens in the future I won't be completely taken by surprise.

Basically, "be prepared" is the motto I'm following here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

But the industry is closely watching this very thread to determine its next move.

I don't think Japan cares what we think, and frankly I doubt we are going to have american companies releasing anime in two years (at least not dubbed or on a physical media)
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
Basically, "be prepared" is the motto I'm following here.

Can you say "musical"? (I know, I know. Sorry CG-LOVER, I'm just being silly).
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Does this news mean that another company could swoop in and grab both Gosick and Nichijou from Bandai, like FUNimation for example?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Baby Naruto wrote:
Does this news mean that another company could swoop in and grab both Gosick and Nichijou from Bandai, like FUNimation for example?

You should try reading the thread and follow up articles before asking a question that's already been asked and answered several times. These titles have already been returned to their original license holders in Japan, so yes they could potentially be rescued bot not necessarily by the same company.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:02 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:

You should try reading the thread and follow up articles before asking a question that's already been asked and answered several times. These titles have already been returned to their original license holders in Japan, so yes they could potentially be rescued bot not necessarily by the same company.

Sorry was too sleepy/tired when I originally read the article, I must have skipped that part accidentally.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
Baby Naruto wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:

Sorry was too sleepy/tired when I originally read the article, I must have skipped that part accidentally.

A lot more information is in this article
Mr.manguy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Still, no Nichijou makes me very sad, hopefully Sentai will pick it up (especially since it bombed sales-wise in Japan, so the license shouldn't cost too much). Hopefully Gosick and Turn A get rescued as well. Sad

Maybe Funimation can pick up Nichijou and give it a gag dub or something like Shin-chan or Sgt. Frog. That or Sentai like you said.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 24