• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerfans! [2008-11-07]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
You assume they'd have any interest in sitting through such things. Which they don't.

How could anyone NOT have any interest in sitting through Miyazaki's films? Those are among the holy works of anime--no, of all animation!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chesis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:11 am Reply with quote
Best transition to American film?

Well, the easiest would be something like Monster, which is a basic crime thriller that takes place entirely in Europe. No cultural baggage to worry about, and the only Asian in the cast would be the lead (assuming it was a faithful adaptation ).

But best? If there's one thing Americans know how to make it's a summer action movie. So I'd place my bets on something like Lupin III or Cowboy Bebop. Both have very loose stories with lots of action and humor, and big, larger than life characters.
Devavrata

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:12 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
You assume they'd have any interest in sitting through such things. Which they don't.

How could anyone NOT have any interest in sitting through Miyazaki's films? Those are among the holy works of anime--no, of all animation!

For Miyazaki/Ghibli films, I had a hard time deciding how it best to translate them them into live-action. True, there are no time constraints. It is the large amount of subtle reference to Japanese folklore cultures which makes the translation into live-action difficult. If I have to divide Ghibli movies into which ones are easy to be translated, which ones are not.

Easy to moderately difficult:
- Ocean Waves
- Porco Rosso
- Whisper of the Heart
- Only Yesterday
- Grave of the Fireflies

Moderately difficult to difficult:
- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
- Kiki's Delivery Service
- Castle in the Sky
- Mononoke Hime
- Spirited Away

I think the division is clear: the easy to moderately difficult films are the ones which don't feature lots of magic (with the exception of Porco Rosso's pig head).

Films like Mononoke Hime or Spirited Away, with the heavy magical content and subtle reference to Japanese folklore, would be awfully hard to be translated into live-action.

But if I have to choose among all of them, my choice would be:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.
skyesage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Okay, regarding the question for this week--

When I was younger (like eighth grade) I was a total weeaboo, always throwing kawaii into conversation, thinking that anime was the only good stuff ever, et cetera et cetera.

I still love anime to pieces, and manga, but I've since remembered that there is good animation besides anime (old Disney movies still own a lot of anime, sry to say), that there are some fantastic American comics, and that there is good music elsewhere in the world.

Ok, so its true that now I'm trying to teach myself Korean, but come on, its a lot less common to be a Koreaboo than to be Wapanese, isn't it? Hahaha.

And regarding what would make a good movie--
I still think that Death Note would make for a fantastic movie. I think it would mostly depend how it was played for. If it was played completely seriously I probably wouldn't be able to stand it, but its a plot that I think that could stand some Americanization and would reach a fairly wide audience. Its interesting! And it can still function without the context of Japanese culture--they'd have to change things but it would still be recognizeable.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

Which means what, exactly, to people who aren't big viewers of TV or movies to begin with? Saying that something is "the pinnacle of animation" will most likely get most average Joes to respond with something along the likes of, "...so it's meant for ten-year-olds?" There's a big difference between preaching to the choir of fellow animation fans and trying to explain to someone who's barely familiar with the concept of "anime" why they should care about a particular movie.

(And everything else aside, no one around here has much time to sit down and watch any sort of movie, let alone an animated one they've never heard of. A full series is right out. Razz)
geopgeop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote
Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:

One more good fit: Ranma 1/2 as an action romcom. As long as they don't CG the animals. Cats/pigs talking with human lip flaps is a most disturbing sight...

AFAIK cursed individuals generally COULDN'T talk as animals. (Genma with his sign, right?)

Well, if everything about Ranma was toned down - Akane's use of hammerspace; launching foes/lechers into the air ala Team Rocket (yeah I know, but what do you compare it to?); having thumbless giant pandas write their thoughts on signs; and even the issue of showing Ranma switching genders (just use a guy and a girl who look somewhat alike but that Kuno couldn't tell the difference, and when transformation happens, just switch them like they do stunt doubles) - Ranma 1/2 could "possibly" work in live-action...

...but if the plot involves spoiler[Pantyhose Taro], CG is definitely inevitable!
Allayyy!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
About last week's question, I defiantly used to be a weeabo in 5th and 6th grade.
I brought manga to school- I would carry a bunch of it in my backpack. At lunch we would all talk about Naruto and sing all of these stupid songs that we heard in AMVs and such. I spent most of my summer one year just watching Naruto.
(And no, I had been into so many other shows, many that were not licensed, but I just caught onto some really bad Naruto fever).
I used to go to a Japanese club at my library- but a really annoying group of people started to come, and they killed it for me.
Oh jeez, just talking about it is embarrassing.

But my 7th grade year I started to keep it a secret. I don't know why, I didn't let popularity overcome me, but I realized that I had lost friends over the past year because of it- and it was probably one of the main reasons I never had friends in elementary school.
My weeabo-ness had brought me to the classification of 'weird'.
I was so awfully ashamed of liking anime at all. I wanted to get rid of all of my manga and anime and everything. I just wanted a new, fresh start.

That was until I met an upperclassman in 11th grade a couple of months later. She was amazingly cool. Very pretty, had a lot of friends, and ect. But I noticed one thing, she was still into watching Sailor Moon, and was not afraid to show it. In fact, she was a major dork- into comic books and basically everything.
I started to talk to her, and the more I talked to her, the more I learned how you shouldn't be ashamed of yourself- and just be who you are to your fullest extent. She happened to like a lot of anime, from Princess Tutu to Azumanga Daioh, she just only talked about stuff like that to either online friends or maybe her closest, closest friends.
But she still wasn't scared to tell everyone that she liked Sailor Moon. She didn't flaunt it around everywhere, but she had plentiful evidence that she watched it, like a picture of her on her binder, or on her Myspace or something.

I think this girl really gave me confidence to not be too ashamed of what I like, but just kind of randomly mention it here and there.
And that's what I do now.

I hardly watch anime anymore. I've been watching the latest season of Nodame Cantabile, and that is basically it.

I have realized that if you are pretty calm, collected, and quiet about it. No one really cares.

So in basic terms, yes, I am still a closet fan, but I don't mind talking about it with other people.
ladyvoid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
I thought this weeks question would be obvious, Black Lagoon. get Michael Bay directing that, get an A-list cast, and your good to go.

I agree! Black Lagoon could be a really bad ass film...
hm, and as for hiding my "otaku" identity... well, I don't do it too much, but in some scenarios, I do it to avoid long explanations. Like for instance, I visited my uncle and aunt in England this summer. and my dad just had to mention my obsession with anime and manga... *sigh*
Dad: Ay, you read those comics, right? Yah - (turning to aunt) she's addicted to... (glancing at me) what is that called? Oh, yah. Manga.
Aunt:(in British accent, turning to me) what's manga? I don't understand... why are you so fond of... comics? I'm curious.
Me: Oh, well, um.... they're not your usual comics... (squirming uncomfortably). Uhhh... they are alot like novels... I guess....

And that's why I usually hide my obsessions from people.
yblees

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:48 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
I was always of the opinion that when you're with someone, you accept them, quirks and all. And if you're getting married, well, all the more so, since you've made a vow in front of everyone.
Also, why date women? You might be lucky and find someone who would enjoy watching all that anime with you. Not all of us ladies hate nerdy hobbies - some of us actually manage to be nerdier than our boyfriends Wink

LOL, I concur. My poor husband probably ended up with much more eccentric nerdiness than he was ever expecting.
Fortunately, I managed to get him hooked on manga/anime fairly early on, and now he can read raw manga with the help of a Kanji dictionary (some people are just really gifted at learning languages Razz ).
Actually, the ending of Midori no Hibi was the first time I ever saw him cry over a show *heh*

Can't say I ever hid my anime fandom. But I was introduced to manga by a cousin, my siblings are into it too, and Akira, Appleseed and *ahem* Urotsukodoji were arthouse by the time I got to uni. So I've always had some kind of support group.
I have Ichigo on my cellphone strap, Urahara Kisuke on my keychain, and would happily wear anime T-shirts if I could find them in women's sizes (I draw the line at wearing baggy tshirts).
A tasteful silhouette of Alucard & casull is on my wallpaper at work, and if I've ever got any flak from anybody about my hobby, I never noticed.

As to this weeks question.
Keeping in mind I generally have a low opinion of American movies - it'll have to be something with lots of action, but not too many plot subtleties or cultural references.
Black Lagoon is probably the best bet.

Last edited by yblees on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
ilkz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:03 am Reply with quote
"who go to school/work wearing Naruto ninja headbands..."

who?... stereotype hoax? internet meme? obsession of anti obsession?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:29 am Reply with quote
Funny story about the Answerfans topic...you never know how people might react to you being an anime fan, so it's best not to be closeted:

A few days ago at work I met a girl who was really friendly, smart, and fun to talk to. She really helped me pass the time in my boring ole workday and even if she distracted me a little too much, I was glad I met her. She was just a really cool, on-top-of-it kind of girl. Eventually, we got on the topic of our busy schedules and I told her that I was going to a club right after work and wouldn't have time to work on my studying until late at night.

She asks which club. I kinda Embarassed and mutter, "Oh, it'sananimeclub, y'know, peoplesittinaroundwatchinstuff." You know, I really didn't want to jam any awkwardness into this nice conversation we had going by having to explain what anime was or try to change the subject because I didn't want to explain to someone AGAIN and get a weird look.

She responds by saying that she'd never thought about that but it sounded like fun. "I've been watching Soul Eater and Vampire Knight at home," she said. "Is your club following those?" (It was, ironically, so that just gave us MORE to talk about, and I recommended Ouran to her while she ushered me to watch Itazura no Kiss.)

I just thought this girl did NOT look like an anime fan, but then again, I realized, I don't either. Laughing So I shouldn't have judged her to be some prep by her looks and I'm glad I told her the truth about what kind of club I went to. It was refreshing to meet a fan of a different color, so to speak. Funny world, I found someone a lot like me.

I've had closeted fans accidentally bring up anime around me with NO IDEA that I was an otaku, but I hadn't had the situation reversed until then. Heh.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Answerman's "yeah I really am this much of a douche" note on Lianna Mills' answer: Unless the "k" in "Nausikaa" is some sort of bizarre attempt at language purity, in which case you're trying too hard, then maybe you should learn how to spell the title of your "favorite movie".

This classic sarcastic wit is what I read Answerman for! Razz

Many of my ideas for movies have been mentioned already, so how about Madlax? Although I suppose that is too close in style to Noir.

Next week I hope Answerman asks, "What anime that would never be made into a live action Hollywood movie would you like to see adapted if you could get it done?"
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Reason why Cowboy Bebop would make a terrible live action film:

- Hollywood has made like *2* good martial arts films, and Hong Kong Cinema isn't really known for it's Sci-Fi films. You would need someone who is good at both. The Watchowski Bros. don't count because they can make good looking films, but nothing of substance and Cowboy Bebop is not just a cool looking action piece.

- The existing Cowboy Bebop film isn't as good as the TV series, and it was made by more or less the same people. How is Fox or any live action company going to do better?

- Cowboy Bebop is set in a future dominated by Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Arabs, Indians), where terrorist bombings are an everyday thing, and the only thing left of the USA is a replica of a blown up NASA shuttle. If Hollywood makes this fill do you honestly think they are going to keep true to this setting?

A better choice for a live action film would be Planetes. It would appeal to the long time american low of underdogs, as well as reaching new frontiers. There are terrorists, but they lose at the end. None of the characters are too unrealistic, and the series doesn't have many hard core fans to bitch that things have been done wrong.

Another good live action candidate would be L/R Licensed by Royalty. It's James Bond type secret agents with a bit of fun. Since the Jack and Rowe characters where the best thing about the series, you can easily put them into a new storyline and perhaps have an improvement over the original.

And what about Starship Operators? Reality TV in space. Lots of room for pretty young actors/actresses. And if they change the ending so that the kids win, who's going to complain?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Aizen-chan wrote:

And what about Starship Operators? Reality TV in space. Lots of room for pretty young actors/actresses. And if they change the ending so that the kids win, who's going to complain?

The "No Hollywood Happy Ending" types. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4