• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shakugan no Shana III (Final) episodes 1-12

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Really don't buy the main plot point, that Yuji joins the bad guys, so that he can have the power to make the world a better place for Shana. He only just has to kill all his friends and Shana's friends during the war, to make it happen. Then, he and Shana can walk off into the sunset.......

Never really liked stories, where the hero suddenly becomes evil and loses all common sense. Bad writing and no love for the character.

From what I understand from a spoilerific bit I've heard about the Light Novels, it will all make sense... assuming J.C.Staff can find a way to work themselves out of the plot holes the changes in the adaption have caused. Cause while it's been a while since I've seen earlier episodes, some of the anime original content certainly makes me scratch my based on what I've learned now.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:54 am Reply with quote
Making sense by (possible light novel spoiler) spoiler[Having the God of Creation make it so that Denizens no longer have to consume Power of Existence]? Because I heard that from someone who had supposedly read the LNs, and if so, that has to be one of the absolute stupidest things I have ever heard.

Last edited by Megiddo on Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:07 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Making sense by spoiler[Having the God of Creation make it so that Denizens no longer have to consume Power of Existence]? Because I heard that from someone who had supposedly read the LNs, and if so, that has to be one of the absolute stupidest things I have ever heard.

Might want to mark that as a Light Novel spoiler. Or a supposed one at least. (EDIT Though I realize now you mention the LN in your original post, so maybe I was being over cautious. Though I suppose someone could have moused over the spoiler before reading the following sentence, so...)

Speaking of which, Light Novel supposed spoiler to follow: spoiler[what you said is similar to what I had heard, though not quite the same. I'm curious as to why you think it is so stupid,] but I'll wait to debate that until the anime actually reaches the end and we can see for ourselves, rather than discuss one sentence summaries from people who may have read the Light Novels.
DarkFusion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
So Yuji becomes Sasuke Uchiha (minus the hairbrained revenge motive)...this is going to hurt when I get around to watching this season
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Because I heard that from someone who had supposedly read the LNs, and if so, that has to be one of the absolute stupidest things I have ever heard.

Are you saying that without hearing the rationale? Does it really sound stupid? It would be stupider if a "God of Creation" wouldn't be able to create new things or consuming humans would be the only way of acquiring Power of Existence, since we know from episode one that it is not the only way (hint: what's inside Yuji?).
Nightmaresag

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Watching S3 is a chore, and a boring one at that. Action animation will always be good yes I agree, but story-wise its not that appealing. I'll have to read the novels before finishing S3's first half.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:23 am Reply with quote
Ugh, can't read review as funimation won't release the 2nd season. I guess I could just download the fansubs for that but watched the dub of the 1st so wasn't planning to do so.

Have listened to the OP though as with the other Shana themes it's good.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:58 am Reply with quote
DarkFusion wrote:
So Yuji becomes Sasuke Uchiha (minus the hairbrained revenge motive)...this is going to hurt when I get around to watching this season

Except that Sasuke is all LOLANGST, while Yuji is pure BADASS.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I see no way that it is going to make sense.

Basically they have Yuji disappearing, telling no one what he is doing, even the ones who must care about him, and he about them. Apparently joining the side of the evil ones, so all his friends will either think he is a dirty traitor, or that somehow he was captured or turned.

There is no going back, some of his friends will always think he has turned evil or has always been evil. Margery Daw may be such one, as she doesn't like Silver.

In a war there are going to be casualties. Some of Yuji's own friends, including Shana could die as a clear result of Yuji's actions.

The only way this even has a chance of working is if Yuji is going into this knowing he is going to die, and has no problem with everyone thinking he is an evil bastard, including Shana.

Going to watch this season, mainly because, I have always liked Shakugan no Shana. So I am in till the end. Still think this is bad writing. probably to induce more excitement and suspense. No matter what the light novels say, they never showed Yugi as evil in the anime. I believe even Yuji could see such action as ill advised and almost certain to doom any relationship with Shana, especially if any of his friends or hers get killed or seriously hurt because of his actions.

Also there is no guarantee, the even if the Denizens find a new source of food, that they will happily stop devouring humans, and having the flame hazes from continuing to hunt them.

Of course they could be going for a restart ending, though that to would be bad writing and unsatisfying.
Draconarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
This has been a massive letdown thus far. Every single plot development has felt rushed or forced and often a combination of both. Yuji is out of character, Shana is out of character, the whole damn franchise is out of character and all of it with absolutely no justification.

Quote:
Of course they could be going for a restart ending, though that to would be bad writing and unsatisfying.

Nope. In fact, if the anime takes the same ending as the Light Novels (which seems almost a certainty) then you will be wishing that they had gone for a restart ending instead.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:27 am Reply with quote
Draconarius wrote:
This has been a massive letdown thus far. Every single plot development has felt rushed or forced and often a combination of both. Yuji is out of character, Shana is out of character, the whole damn franchise is out of character and all of it with absolutely no justification.

* Yuji's character in the Light Novels is slightly different than Yuji's character in the anime. Anime Yuji was more beta than LN Yuji.
* Shana's out of character? Shana in the 2nd half of Shana II was less tsundere compared to Shana in season 1. Just because Shana isn't tsundere doesn't mean that she suddenly became out of character. In fact, Shana was a tsundere done right (not the best, but her characterization was done right). The reason why Shana isn't tsundere in the 3rd season was that she has finally became true to her feelings. There is no need for her "tsuntsun" side to serve as a barrier.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Draconarius wrote:

Quote:

Nope. In fact, if the anime takes the same ending as the Light Novels (which seems almost a certainty) then you will be wishing that they had gone for a restart ending instead.

I...am actually curious about how it ends...I want to know!
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
Draconarius wrote:

Quote:

I...am actually curious about how it ends...I want to know!

If you really want to know, I can PM you it, since I had the ending spoiled for me (due to a combination of curiosity and stupidity on my part). I won't post it in this thread even in spoiler tags, though, as that's just too tempting to some people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3