• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mystery anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:44 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
ANN says Febuary 25 is when it starts. Also it's an OVA so there's going to be long delays between episodes I imagine as opposed to a weekly episode like the previous two series.

Even worse...did that LA movie get fansubbed yet, though? Anime smile
Prede

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow another favorite genre of mine, and yet another one that hasn't obtained many recommendations. But hey I'll sure try and make a couple! And I totally second Spiral (more of a suspense/thriller though although these genres overlap), Ghost Hunt , Case Closed, and When They Cry (although this is also a horror title, so be ready for some gorey stuff! And be ready to be scared!).

Domain of Murder - This is a 1992 OVA based off the long-running manga series "Hello, Hedgehog", with some great artwork, and a decent plot. The story starts out with Detective Goro (nicknamed "Hedgehog" due to his hair) being asked to find a lady's long lost husband. He ran away from the family years ago, and she beleived him to be dead. But a recent wanted poster she found has a picture of him on it, and he's wanted for murder. There's a different name on the poster, but it's definitely his picture. This lady wants the detective to find her husband, so she can talk to him once more before he goes to jail. It's an odd request, but Goro takes the case ( a little reluctantly at first). The case leads him to the other side of Japan, and while investigating there are many twists and turns. The plot is pretty much a regular mature detective drama, something we'd be more used to seeing in an American Live Action Movie, or TV series then in anime, but the change in medium is well welcomed. (taken from my review of the film, hope no one minds the plug)

This is, at it's heart, a classic detective tale. And the mystery is quite good. Although I did find a few possible "plot holes" in it, some things just don't work perfectly if you think to much about them. But those problems are easily overlooked. And on the plus side

NightWalker - This is a great crime drama/mystery anime with strong supernatural elements in it. Shido, the main character, is a vampire who also works as a private detective. He solves murder mysteries, and other cases caused by nightbreeds (demons). He works with his young secretary Riho, an N.O.S. agent Yayoi , and a small green fairy/demon creature named Guni . Many of the episodes are mysteries, although a few are not, and revolve around fighting a nightbreed headon, rather then who the Nightbreed is, or why he did what he did. A rather intellegent episode reveals the backstory of 3 of the 4 main characters, with enough mystery and suspense to hold anyone's attention. And it has a few plot twists you won't see coming. In my opinion the first 3 or so episodes are rather weak, so please give it a little longer to hook you. I started the series at the half way point and was hooked from the started (then went back and watched the rest). So you may not be hooked from the start.

They Were 11 - "Ten young space cadets are put onto a decommissioned spaceship as their final test. If they pass this test, their lifelong dreams of being valued people in their respective societies will come true. Their orders are to survive as long as they can with what they have. However, once they arrive at the decommissioned ship, they find that their crew has gained an eleventh member.

As the days pass, the eleven cadets must deal with their suspicions of each other as well as the sudden knowledge that the spaceship is in a decaying orbit around a star, which is causing the temperature on the ship to rise. With this rise in temperature, a sickness begins to spread among the crew as they work to stabilize their orbit and determine who among them is the spy..." - Wikipedia

This movie is a great mystery, set in a sci-fi setting. You will be trying to figure out who the 11th person is, along the crew. And you will never be quite sure who it is, or if there really is one to begin with. And there are a few good twists in here you won't see coming. ( I reviewed the film if anyone cares to read it. Hope it's ok to link to my site, if it's not please let me know and I'll remove the link )

Red Garden - "Strange suicides have been taking place in New York. One day, four girls from the same high school wake up in the morning feeling tired and dizzy and not being able to remember anything about the previous night. In school, they find out that one of their classmates has committed suicide. School is canceled for the rest of the day, but instead of going home, the girls are drawn to a park by butterflies only they can see. Suddenly a man and a woman approach the girls, telling them that they all died the previous night." - ANN

This is another great myserty series, only it's not at all a regular one. The mystery comes from the viewer and the characters trying to figure out what happened to them, and why. And also just why everyone is doing what they are doing. The conclusion to this is very satisfying, fills in all the gaps, and answers all your questions. Just don't bother with the lame OVA, which spoiler[ tries to force mecha into the story] Rolling Eyes . Sometimes it's better left unknown what happens after a story ends.

Master Keaton - "Taichi Keaton is a man of many talents: father, historian, frequent traveler, negotiator, archaeologist, former survival instructor, and all while working as an insurance investigator for Lloyd's of London. While his methods may seem a bit unorthodox, he gets the job done when needed, but not without a little something to learn or teach in the process. Through all of his adventures, some people call him a quack. Those who know him well call him a master of life..." - ANN

This is adapted from a manga penned by none-other then Naoki Urasawa, so you'd be right to expect a good show Wink. Anyway Madhosue did wonders with the anime. The artstyle is great, and although it looks very simple for it's time (1999), it's still very nice to look at. The stories range greatly, being an episodic drama some are rather better then others (I find the first 7 or so episodes to be quite poor, but episodes 10 and up to be just amazing). While not all the stories are detective stories, crime stories, mysteries or suspenseful, a large enough amount of them are that I think it could fit into this genre. Just be wanred there are many slice-of-life stories, and others that might bore those looking for a great mystery. I however liked most of them, but foudn the begining wuite weak in comparison.

Sorry that I got lazy part way through and used ANN or Wikipedia to give a synopsis of the anime, but I still wrote a great deal about why I recommend them in my own words anyway. All of these are avaible on DVD, most from CPM. Red Garden is from ADV (but rescued by Funimation), and Master Keaton is from Geneon (now OOP).
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I guess my mystery recommendation would be Darker Than Black(surprised it wasn't recommended yet). Which also comes with supernatural, drama, science fiction and action filled scenes. But I'd say the mystery is what makes the anime interesting: the secret behind the existence of the gates; why was the real sky hidden; what's the meaning behind contractors and dolls' existence.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I'd say Darker than Black wasn't suggested in this thread yet because the mystery elements aren't the focus of the show: the cause of the gates' existence, what happened to the sky, and contractors' nature aren't examined in a way that someone unraveling a mystery would look at them.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
True, I can't deny that. It's not the focus of the show, but along with the action, mystery is my favorite element in this show.
__
Also, I'll support the Monster recommendation. It's a great show, maybe a little longer than necessary, but still great. Probably one of the best mystery shows anime out there, if not the best.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I will recomend Pandora Herarts, most of the series involves trying to figure out what has hapend. There is a large web of character involvment, and how things fit together.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Maybe I will recomend Pandora Hearts, most of the series involves trying to figure out what has hapend. There is a large web of character involvment, and how things fit together.

Except that spoiler[the series ends without solving the big mysteries and ends lamely with a non-end, so I would not consider it a success at being a mystery series or an acceptable recommendation. A good mystery weaves the web of mystery and then solves it satisfactorily before it ends.]
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote
From this year, you could do far worse than Gosick. It's been described as "goth loli detective" which just about sums it up. It starts off fairly episodic, but there is an underlying mystery to be solved in it all. The setting is gorgeous, as well.

Kami-sama no Memochou, also from this year, isn't bad either. This time it's a genius hikkomori (shut-in) detective. There is definitely an underlying theme in this series, and all the events appear to be .connected
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote
In the "what the heck is going on?" category of mystery I guess recent examples would also include.

Eden of the East- From the identity of Akira to the goals of the Selacao and everything that went on before the series started it's a fine mystery. How fine depends on what you think of the resolution of the final movie but even if you just you watch the series the solving of went on during Careless Monday could satisfy a mystery fan.

Mawaru Penguindrum.
Really, what the heck is going on? Smile

Bakemonogatari
Although they're supernatural tales of people being influenced by outside forces, every story is set up as a mystery. What happened? How do we solve the problem? And they have to go about it like detectives searching for clues and occasionally making mistakes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, if this doesn't mean classic detective tales, King of Thorn should qualify. The movie seems to start up as a survival game, but turns into quite a mindscrew very fast. Basically a bunch of people are put into a cold sleep to wait for a time to be waken up again, but when they wake up, things aren't looking as they should at all.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:40 am Reply with quote
Kaze no Yojimbo, Eden of the East, When They Cry, They Were 11, Noir, all good series with an element of mystery. I'll add:

Madlax: What is the connection between Madlax and Margaret?

El Cazador de la Bruja: Did Ellis kill the doctor? Why does she have weird powers? What are Rosenberg and Blue Eyes plotting?

.hack//SIGN: Why can't Tsukasa log out? Who is the woman that speaks but is never seen? Who is the cat player that speaks but is never heard? What is the Key of the Twilight?

Princess TuTu: What is Drosselmayer plotting? Why was Mythos' heart broken? Why is Fakir trying to keep Mythos isolated?

Le Chevalier D'Eon: Who killed Lia and why?

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo: Who is the Count? What is he plotting and why? (the encyclopedia spoils the mystery)
VIsraWratS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:06 am Reply with quote
Ghost in the Shell the movie & the series both involve mysteries. I'd like to re-recommend Case Closed. It's long but, the episodes are generally stand alone so you get a bunch of different mysteries rather than one long one. The Black Organization that shrunk Conan isn't really what the show's all about. It's just a setup for the show. Like Ranma 1/2 isn't all about Ranma getting the curse lifted.
dumytru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Kindaichi
No one?
It's kind of similar to Detective Conan (Case Closed)
Only 158 episodes (yeah, only)
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
tell us more, Why should we watch it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jcaliff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I'll second Kindaichi, and even give reasons. For one thing, the mysteries are usually interesting, even though some of them are the standard "a number of people are trapped together and one of them is a killer" scenario. Almost every mystery in Kindaichi is a murder, and it's a darker series than Detective Conan with a slightly older target audience. There's even less of an ongoing plot in Kindaichi than Conan; it's almost entirely episodic which makes it easy to watch just one story at a time, though I think it does make for less of an emotional investment in the characters. The voice acting, especially early in the series, is not as strong as some shows, but I think it gets better as the series progresses.

Another recomendation I have is Tantei Gakuen Q (Detective Academy Q). The manga is by the same team as Kindaichi and ran in Shounen Magazine like Kindaichi, but it's a slightly more lighthearted series - at least the parts I've seen. Unfortunately I haven't seen as much as I would like. It seems like a fun series though.

Finally, my last recommendation is Ayatsuri Sakon. The manga art was an earlier work by Obata (who did Hikaru no Go and Death Note). It's another procedural detective series like Conan and Kindaichi. When there's a crime committed, Sakon, a quiet bunraku puppeteer who operates a mouthy puppet named Ukon, is the one who solves the cases to help his police officer older sister. Sakon and Ukon are complete opposites, and it makes for an amusing set up. Some of the murders are pretty gruesome. The opening theme is by Hummingbird, the band that was best known for the songs by Fire Bomber in Macross 7 (lead singer did the singing voice of Basara).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3