• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mystery anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
If this thread is getting revived then I suggest Un-Go. Set in a near future Japan that is recovering after a recent war, Yuuki Shinjuro is known to the general public as "The Defeated Detective" who (with his sidekick Inga) always seem to be one step behind Rinroku Kaishou, a reclusive government consultant who can solve any crime from his computer. But what the general public doesn't know is that the government hasn't stopped it's wartime manipulations and Shinjurou is stuck revealing the uncomfortable truths that Kaishou re-spins to make them more favorable in the public's eyes. I've seen mixed opinions on just how tough the mysteries really are to solve but I thought it all came together rather nicely in the end.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Yes, feel free to revive any of the rec threads at any time, if you feel you have something to add to it or have a question.

Some other new ones for this thread are:

Persona 4- in which several strange deaths occur and a group of students attempt to find out who is responsible after figuring out the deaths have something to do with a rumored segment on television known as "Midnight Channel". They find themselves suddenly possessing the power to enter the television and the ability to summon Personas, representations of themselves for combat.

Another- Koichi transfers to a new school after recovering from a colapsed lung. However, he can sense something is off with his new class, and they are obviously hiding something important from him.
bllanosr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
dumytru wrote:
Kindaichi
No one?
It's kind of similar to Detective Conan (Case Closed)
Only 158 episodes (yeah, only)

I LOVE Kindaichi Case Files! However, that's a manga and not an anime. I've never seen Case Closed, so I can't compare it to that. Kindaichi is more a teenage Japanese Sherlock Holmes. The main character is a happy-go-lucky type guy who goes around solving mysteries. He has a side-kick who happens to be the smartest and one of the prettiest girls in school. A friend who love to video tape everything and sometimes films important clues. This is probably one of the mystery mangas that actually drops clues in the manga and just doesn't fulminate random explanations in the end. You can actually solve the mystery if you pay attention to the minute details. I really hope this becomes an anime.

As for animes that are good mysteries:

Another - just read the encyclopedia. It's basically about a boy who moves into a new school in the backcountry. Of course, everyone knows each other and their history and they're all keeping an obvious secret from the new kid in town.

When They Cry (Higurashi) - same concept as above but with a little more gore and various perspective of a crime that happens during the town festival celebrating the local deity. It's unique that it takes on various perspectives which can be annoying and confusing at the same. That helps to build up the viewer wanting to find out what the hell is going on.

When the Seagulls Cry (Umineko) - similar to When They Cry. This one is about the members of a wealthy and powerful family vying to solve a mystery and inherit the entire family fortune. The old, dying patriarch gives his family membrs a riddle to solve the wareabouts on how he came to gain the family fortune. The person who solves the riddle is entitled to the entire family fortune. Unfortunately, if noone solves it, then noone will inherit the family fortune spoiler[and they could all possibly die.]

Here are some obscure mangas that would translate into a great anime if given the chance:

Doubt - a group of people are trapped in a warehouse. They have to figure out how to get out of there, but there's a catch. One of them is a serious psycho-murderer. They have to get out before that person kills all of them. There's definitely a spoiler[tsundere] aspect spoiler[to this that rivals Kuno of] Mirai Nikki, spoiler[but Kuno definitely takes the cake.]

Judge - same creator as Doubt and similar in concept. A group of people are trapped in some house/warehouse. They have figure out what each others' past transgressions are, before they end up killing each other. Similar to the movie, Seven (the one with the Seven Sins).

Io - lazy Japanese teenager goes to visit family friends in Okinawa. He learns to scuba dive and locates some old secret ruins and realize that one of the family friends is somehow connected to it. Oh, spoiler[his parents' death are aslo connected to the ruins.] This one is not that great, but the scuba drawings are great (if you like snorkeling and scuba diving). Due to the nature of the main character being surrounded by girls and living on a scuba resort, there's ample oppurtunity for fanservice here and boy do they abuse it!

(Something Island) - forgot the name but it's something do with an island. I think it started with a "Z" (Japanese name). It's about a group of orphans who live in an orphanage on a remote private island. All of them have issues and the main character has a blind younger sister. The orphans start to realize that some of the orphans and staff start to mysteriously disappear and never come back to the island (no - they were not adopted). They panic and spoiler[start a rebellion to get off the island.] I would consider this to be a good pyschological thriller since it really messes up with your mind. Kind of sad ending though.
jcaliff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
bllanosr wrote:
dumytru wrote:
Kindaichi
No one?
It's kind of similar to Detective Conan (Case Closed)
Only 158 episodes (yeah, only)

I LOVE Kindaichi Case Files! However, that's a manga and not an anime. I've never seen Case Closed, so I can't compare it to that. Kindaichi is more a teenage Japanese Sherlock Holmes. The main character is a happy-go-lucky type guy who goes around solving mysteries. He has a side-kick who happens to be the smartest and one of the prettiest girls in school. A friend who love to video tape everything and sometimes films important clues. This is probably one of the mystery mangas that actually drops clues in the manga and just doesn't fulminate random explanations in the end. You can actually solve the mystery if you pay attention to the minute details. I really hope this becomes an anime.

It is an anime. Ran for years. I have the first (only 12 episodes I think) LD box and the first movie on LD. I'm pretty sure there's a Japanese DVD release. It just never got picked up in North America.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bllanosr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote
jcaliff wrote:

It is an anime. Ran for years. I have the first (only 12 episodes I think) LD box and the first movie on LD. I'm pretty sure there's a Japanese DVD release. It just never got picked up in North America.

AHHH! I wish you hadn't told me that. A google search revealed two different stores that are offering it at different prices.

http://www.gamebaz.com/?a=i&i=43826U

http://www.bestbuyanime.com/shop/item.asp?cat=1&item=VD-9555329234847

I just don't trust the bestbuyanime site for some reason. I don't have a Japanese DVD and definitely don't want to pay for it the price gamebaz is selling it too. I really want to see this now. Damn you!
Konopan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
Not exactly surprised this hasn't been brought up, but by some of the logic I'm seeing in this thread, Denno Coil should be a decent suggestion.

A group of kids go from exploring exploits and glitches in a sort of digital reality to finding out about some of its darker secrets as the series progresses, mainly focusing on single episode stories about random oft-comedic oddities towards the beginning, and the last half digging at the bigger mystery.

On the mindfuck side of things, Serial Experiments Lain seems like a shoe-in, but summarizing that isn't on my plate tonight.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch has started a remarkably similar thread: Cop/Mafia show suggestions.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
So it's now 2016. My question: Did 2015 present any good mystery anime? (No unannotated lists, please and thank you.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3