• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Drama anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:39 am Reply with quote
When it gets localized, check out Kara no Kyoukai.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know any crime-dramas? Something like Gungrave, but it doesn't have to have the sci-fi aspect.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
For Crime Drama, one of the best is Monster. It revolves around a Japanese doctor working in Germany. Fed up with his hospital playing politics instead of saving lives he decides to save the life of a boy who was shot in the head instead of the mayor. He succeeds but then loses his upcoming promotion and fiance. Years later his boss and coworkers are poisoned making him default hospital director. Being the only suspect he is framed for murder and decides to become a fugitive and search for the real killer, the man he once saved as a child. Now Dr. Tenma searches for answers and some good old fashioned revenge but he's being pursued by a workaholic German BKA agent, hired killers, and even his crazy ex fiance.

I'd also highly recommend Kaze no Yojimbo which revolves around a drifter who wanders into a town looking for someone. However, instead of finding answers he stumbles upon a gang war between two mafia organizations and lot of people with secrets they'd kill to keep hidden.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I've already seen Kaze no Yojimbo. And I am waiting for Viz to release Monster , but I don't think they're ever going release it. I've seen the manga, however, and it was amazing.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
The problem with "drama" is that the definition is to vague. Youkai Warrior] listed Angelic Layer as drama, and while I wouldn't totally agree, I do see why it was suggested, seeing how it does contain elements of "drama". Both Rumbling Hearts and Now and Then, Here and There have been listed, yet they can also be included in romantic and sci-fi categories (respectfully). Be that as it may, I will try to give a few recommendations that I feel belong in the drama category.

note: the synopsis I give are mostly from imdb, but I am adding a bit to them as well (to lazy to come up with all original ones at the moment Very Happy ) I also included ratings to give you an idea of the anime's "suitability for certain audiences"

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade:
Quote:
A traumatized member of an elite para-military police force falls for a female terrorist after suffering a near death experience (i know not a an accurate synopsis but I didn't want to give to much away)
This movie takes it time where others would give you non stop action and violence. Such a bleak and bitter story, yet you feel so much for the main two characters that you can't help but watch. (some violence and mature themes... would probably been rated pg-13)

Whisper of the Heart:
Quote:
A young girl finds that all the books she chooses in the library have been previously checked out by the same boy. Later she meets a very infuriating fellow... could it be her "friend" from the library? She also discovers an unusual toy/antique store run buy a charm elderly man. Here, she meets the Baron, who inspires her to put her creativity to the test.
This movie is in a three way tie for favorite Ghibli movie ever (with Nausicaa and Only Yesterday being the other two). Such a great slice of life film. The settings are very ordinary, yet drawn with such a great eye for detail. And the characters are lovable, with some of them going through major life decisions that we all face (for the most part). And for anyone who likes John Denver, there are many nods to the singer-songwriter throughout. (would be rated G. contains nothing offensive... unless you cant stand Japanese covers of John Denver songs).

speaking of Only Yesterday
Only Yesterday:
Quote:
For vacation, a 27-year-old office worker travels to the countryside to try her hand at farming. While there, she reminisces about her childhood in Tokyo.

An amazing film. Just see it. It is a bit slower that most, but don't let that discourage you from seeing this gem. (would be rated PG. contains nothing really offensive, but there are discussions of puberty and the such. I don't see why it would offend anyone, but Im sure there are people out there who would)

Perfect Blue:
Quote:
A retired pop singer turned actress's sense of reality is shaken when she is stalked by an obsessed fan.
That may not sound like much of a plot, but dont be fooled: this movie will mess with your your head. I've read it being described as if "a movie made by Walt Disney and Alfred Hitchcock". While not exactly accurate, it gives you an idea. It was made by Satoshi Kon, who also gave us the already-listed Paranoia Agent. Had the MPAA rated this movie, they would have skipped the 'R' rating all together and slapped it with an NC-17. This film contains extreme violence, (simulated) rape, and full nudity. Not for the young'ins. Nevertheless, an intense psychological thirller/drama. Speaking of Kon....

Tokyo Godfathers
Quote:
Christmas in Tokyo, Japan. Three homeless friends: a young girl, a transvestite, and a middle-aged bum. While foraging through some trash, they find an abandoned newborn. Hana, the transvestite with delusions of being a mother, convinces the others to keep it overnight. The next day, using a key found with the baby, they start tracking down the parents, with many adventures along the way
Satoshi Kon fills this movie with touching moments and funny characters... and yet still manages to throw in some really creepy stuff. I really liked the depiction of Japanese homeless (though I have my doubts as to how accurate it is). Over all this is a very heart warming story. While not as extreme as Perfect Blue, it has a few, mildly extreme moments (It is actually rated PG-13 if that helps).

edits: spelling and grammatical errors Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nagato316

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Emma yet. Just imagine a typical Jane Austen novel redone anime style. Or, more accurately, the classic BBC drama Upstairs, Downstairs done anime style. Emma is a maid (Now don't go there! Your typical image of "meido" in anime/manga does not apply here. Like I said, think Austen or BBC) who develops a fondness for an upper-class gentleman who visits the house where she works...

I’ll also throw in Piano…it looks like a high school slice-of-life, but it's nowhere near as random or as spasmodically paced...the ongoing story concerns a young girl’s struggles and attempts to maintain her friendships, her school life, and of course, her developing adeptness at playing the titular instrument. Be warned, these series saunter along at a _very_ casual pace, but they definitely fit the “drama” category. Bonus: these series are 150% family-friendly. I can’t recall _any_ questionable content in them, so feel free to show this to the kids and “more sensitive” viewers more comfortable with rated G or PG material.

BTW, no I don’t work for Nozomi or RightStuf! They just happen to be good examples of drama series that I’ve happened to see.

AndrewIsAzn wrote:
Even though they're not anime series, I think the Makoto Shinkai movies ought to be mentioned.

And at every opportunity. Shinkai never gets enough love on these forums, and even though (with the exception of The Place Promised) his work is short in length—perhaps _because_ his stuff has so little time span to work with—he’s able to wring out more emotion in 30 to 60 minutes than most directors can wring out of a full-blown 26 episodes.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Shinkai produces masterpieces when given a short running time to work with. Although I'll praise him thoroughly, I should warn that his subject matter thus far has been pure romance, albeit across different environments. If one wishes for drama aside that of this genre, it may be advisable to seek elsewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
So, does anyone know anymore suggestions for some crime-dramas?
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
The problem with "drama" is that the definition is to vague. Youkai Warrior] listed Angelic Layer as drama, and while I wouldn't totally agree, I do see why it was suggested, seeing how it does contain elements of "drama". Both Rumbling Hearts and Now and Then, Here and There have been listed, yet they can also be included in romantic and sci-fi categories (respectfully). Be that as it may, I will try to give a few recommendations that I feel belong in the drama category.

I totally agree. For drama animes there are sub categories that they encompass. Meaning some drama anime stem from an action series or from romance, or sports, etc. Generally the anime that are in a broad genre have some sort of drama. Also drama for one person may differ from another. It would help if people gave a strict rule to these drama anime or a strict definition because it seems like people are just recommending any anime that was touching or a good watch. I guess these animes previously listed look similar to my top 30 but nonetheless they all have some sort of drama. I think these anime listed are still too broad. They have some drama, but they need to be more scrutinized before simply being put out there. Maybe just say what type of drama it is and give a good explanation. For example: Monster is mystery, psychological, that also contains dramatic events or scenes. This anime has scenes that make one think and be affected. It has events that make one truly feel for the characters. The reason why i recomend this anime is because it is one of the best of its category.

Anyways here are my recomendations:(they are not only associated with drama, but other genres: I will try to be specific:))
Air (TV) Contains pure drama to a point where one may cry or have tears. It also has elements of a romance anime. Nontheless i recomned this anime becuase it really is touching and has scenes that make one say "Holy shyt." Simply deep and touching scenes.
Chobits (TV) This is for me a romance/drama anime. It contains many parts with romantic scenes, but the drama is also incorporated. The drama is shown as the relationship progresses of the characters.
Chrono Crusade (TV) The drama well isnt much till the end. I recomend this anime not only for its drama but also for its action and cool characters. The drama is a good wait at the end. I guess this can be related to Cowboy Bebop, but anyways this anime is not the pure drama-esque kind. A good watch nonetheless.
Ef - a tale of memories (TV) - This is a recent anime with drama at its best. This anime should be viewed by every drama anime seeker or lover. This anime not only contains heart breaking scenes, but it also contains a well written plot, beautiful character designs and special effects. This anime is highly recommended to watch by me. It is also mixed with romance, comedy, and psychological genres.
Fullmetal Alchemist (TV) This anime is always recommended by me. I never get tired of watching it. I haven't started watching the remake series, but nonetheless this anime is great. I could recomend this anime just for its dramatic scenes, mainly that comes from brotherly love, but I can't because everything else of this anime is great to me. The action/the comedy, and the plot are all great and can also be looked to as an addition to the drama of the anime.
Grave of the Fireflies (movie) Simply wow. I think i cried during this movie. This movie if i recall correctly is about two orphaned brothers trying to live and survive post WW2. It is very sad. I think this anime is pure drama genre.
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora (TV) The is a romance/drama anime. I think this has become a classic romance genre anime, but i think it is special because of its dramatic scenes. It really is special to watch the relationship grow and affect everyone around. The story is also written nicely, it complements the drama and the romance very nicely.
Honey and Clover (TV) This anime has romance, drama, a slice of life, and comedy. The drama comes from the different characters simply living life and making decision. This anime should not be missed or skipped due to its relaxed and slow pace. This anime is simply remarkable, and the drama too is something untouchable.
Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu (OAV drama, romance, science fiction. This anime is a like a shorter version of Saikano. It has romance and drama mixed. It contains a theme of a war robot girl falling in love. I recommend SaiKano (TV) as well the drama is great.
Kanon (TV 2/2006) is a comedy, drama, psychological, romance, supernatural anime. This anime starts off with drama and never stops. The drama simply keep piling up. The romance and the drawings and the plot are all compliments to the drama.
Myself ; Yourself (TV) The drama at episode 7 or 8 , i forgot which one, is just beyond anything imaginable. Extraordinary stuff from that one scene alone that makes me recommend this entire series. This anime also contains a mix of comedy, school life, and romance.
Now and Then, Here and There (TV) I recommend this anime highly. The drama is unparalleled in this anime. Also, the inspiration that comes from the main character is also something beautiful to witness.
Snow Fairy Sugar - Why not add this anime in?Smile I recently saw this anime and if you want just drama, this anime will not disappoint you. Just when i thought the drama is not going to pick up again it does. ALso i kept thinking " o this scene is just too good and cannot be matched by the rest of the episodes," but no, the episodes all kept up with the pace, infact they even got better. This anime may be a little too young and a kind of too imaginative with fairies and mainly feminine characters, but it is still great, I liked it:)
Edit: Bolded anime titles. I think it would help if everyone else also bolded the anime titles. I dunno, but it surely as heck helps me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
I don't know of any other strictly specific examples of a modern crime drama except for maybe Case Closed, Lupin the 3rd or You're Under Arrest! but those are franchises and quite massive to get into. They also have comedy though and are kind of light. The serious crime drama is something that just doesn't exist in anime, or is very rare, as I haven't seen many. Sometimes you can find elements of it buried in other genres like science fiction or action though.

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
I am surprised there are no School Days recommendations yet. The series is so unique and controversial that I will dare to say that most people will either love or hate it. However it's a must for any romance fan(lots of drama here too), since in School Days highschool is portrayed in more realistic way: where sex exists, characters are alive, they are weak, they have fears, needs and doubts; they are driven by lust and selfishness. Difficult to watch for some as you may end up hating main characters, but that only makes School Days fresh, unique and very strong.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, personally I wouldn't recommend such "on the fence" titles like School Days to people at all. Although, I agree with you that it was good.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
When it gets localized, check out Kara no Kyoukai.

IF it gets localized...

Anyhow, I recommend:

Gankutsuou - The Count of Monte Cristo

It's the best drama anime I've seen. A masterful remake of the original Dumas storyline, taken from a perspective of a different character (Albert, the son of one of the three "traitors") and transformed to a cyberpunk setting, all set to a brilliant classical score. Nuff said.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Well the 5th film is/has premiering/premiered at a film festival here in the states, so if we're lucky some company rep will go see it and say "Hey we need to license this awesome film series, stat!" There was an article here on it a few months ago.
Prede

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Black Jack OVA's - Perhaps the best medical drama anime series ever? The main character Dr. Black Jack is an unlicensed doctor, a surgical genius who could perform amazing operations with ease. He is joined by his sidekick Pinoko and together they travel the world helping patience in dyer need of their services. Black Jack practices medicine outside the normal channels, in essence he is a blackmarket doctor. Since he operates as an unlicensed doctor he always charges a large price for his services, but he is not at all a greedy person, and he truly cares for his patiences. He is the last resort for many people, and he is highly respected by his peers. And being an blackmarket doctor he need not worry about HMOs, hopsitals, the health care system and other things, for he lives by his own rules alone. And he is a true enigma. The surgeries are all amazing, but the true wonder of this series is the drama around them The characters are great, and the stories are quite varied. And there's just enough supernatural and fantasy elements to grab any anime fan's attention. It's a true gem of a title. But what else did you expect with Tezuka and Dezaki behind it all... Highly recommended
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4