• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Drama anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RHachicho

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow I really can't believe I have ignored this side of Anime for so long there is at least 6 or 7 series here that I really want to watch. Now what to shell out my hard earned savings for first that's the question ... dammit why can't i just be a multi billionaire playboy aristocrat life can be so cruel sometimes.

This is a reccomendation thread though and I reccomend Persona : Trinity Soul . I originally saught this series because I am a huge fan of the games im afraid if you share my predeliction for persona titles this series dousn't really share much with them. However that does not stop this from being a touching somewhat angsty series with some very likeable characters. It might seem like an action series at first but it does share the games tendency to make the action take a backseat to the character development and story, so I classify this as more of a Drama Smile
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Sola:- It revolves around Yorito, who loves photography especially of the sky. One night he meets a strange girl, named Matsuri, vandalizing a vending machine near the waterfront, while looking to photograph the sunrise. He shows her the proper vandalizing technique and meeting her triggers a series of events that change the lives of himself, and his sister and friends.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Looked over the posts to see if I thought anything was missing that I can think of off the top of my head.

Fantastic Children
The first half is rather slow and it clearly mixes with sci-fi often, but at the heart of it, it's also a great drama about reincarnation and the emotions the characters have about their past lives and what they plan to do with the knowledge of their past lives. I can't say too much without going into major spoiler territory though.

Piano no Mori
A gentle drama about two piano playing elementary school children who end up competing in a piano competition in Japan. They both come from very different backgrounds, have their own personal demons to battle, and have very different play styles that makes them both great friends and great rivals.

Le Maison en Petits Cubes
As an old man builds his house to beat the ever steadily rising water, he accidentally drops a piece to the floor below. He puts on his diving gear to go get the piece and ends up going down through all of the rooms while reliving his past.
Nyu-Lucy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:31 am Reply with quote
I absolutely love School Days its been a couple days since I've finished watching it, but I still just cant get it out of my head.

Im curious to know if there are any other dramas similar to this one? In terms of having the drama/ the love / real life settings / darkness that this anime possesses.

I've looked at the drama's prior to making my post, but none of them seem to fit with what im looking for in relation to School Days
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:19 am Reply with quote
-Honey and Clover-: The music did a major contribution for the impact and solidity aspect of this magnificently executed anime. I put this anime aside when it first came out because of all the positive hype/reaction it came along with. But now, after seeing it, Honey and Clover truly is a masterpiece beyond words. There will never be anything like it again. The situations and issues in which the characters in Honey and Clover partook are relatable to anyone.

It's a must see drama anime in my opinion.
BarryB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I definitely recommend Le Chevalier D'Eon. This is a drama action anime that is based in mid 1700's in Europe. When beautiful women start turning up dead, D'Eon --the brother of one of the victims--is determined to find the killer. He is helped with being inhabited by his sister's spirit. Best drama anime I've seen since Death Note
Rathchet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I'd reccommend Clannad. It's got some comedy to it as well but most of it is drama. Especially the second season. Hell i'm in the middle of watching it now and i gotta say i dont know if i can watch it again knowing whats going to happen Crying or Very sad (this is my first time through After Story).
But yea i'd definetly give this is shot and if you dont like it you don't have to grab the second season.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
First, as an aside, everyone I know that watched TM 8.0 when it was released hated Mirai for the first few episodes. It's a tribute to the writing that she grows enough in twelve episodes to become likeable by the end of the show.

Now on to the suggestions....

First, I'll start with Seirei no Moribito, based on the light novel by anthropologist Uehashi Nahoko. The main characters are a twelve-year-old prince whose life is being threatened by his father and the thirty-year-old female bodyguard his mother recruits to protect the boy. I was disappointed that the politics in the show got lost in the last quarter or so, but otherwise it is a very deep and powerful story about the influence of ancient myths on later political developments.

Uehashi also wrote the novel Kemono no Sou-ja Erin, again a story about myths and politics. In this one, young Erin wishes to follow in her mother's footsteps and become a veterinarian who cares for mystical beasts. In the process it's discovered she can communicate with at least one of them. and this power thrusts her into the middle of a political succession crisis.

Sticking with the Asian imperial settings, my next suggestion would be Twelve Kingdoms, a classic story about a high-school girl who is mystically transported to a strange world in which she discovers her true purpose in life. I have yet to watch an anime in which a character grows more over the course of the story than Twelve Kingdoms.

Finally, to conclude this group, I'll suggest Saiunkoku Monogatari. SaiMono has a somewhat bigger dose of comedy than the others, but it has many dramatic moments as well. The basic story concerns a young woman who yearns to become her country's first imperial official. I rate this as Kuwashima Houko's finest performance in a career full of excellence.

Moving ahead a few centuries I can recommend two shows set in the Edo period. One is House of Five Leaves about a recently unemployed ronin who joins up with a group of petty criminals. This is a slow-paced character drama with excellent dialogue and an unusual art style.

My other pick from the Edo period is the set of Apothecary stories directed by Nakamura Kenji -- "Bakeneko," the last arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales, and its sequel Mononoke. These stories all focus on a travelling medicine seller who also has the power to slay demons. Along the way he has to solve a mystery to determine the nature and origin of the demon. All the demons are the supernatural representations of horrific human acts; unmasking the actor(s) is central to each story. Sakurai Takahiro plays the Apothecary in a performance that ranks at the top of my list for male seiyuu.

Moving now to more contemporary shows, I'll start with Hikaru no Go. It is hard to believe a show about a board game can be so compelling, but the writing, the characterizations, the cliff-hangers, all come together into a great story. Hikaru discovers an old Go board that contains the spirit of a Heian-era Go master. This meeting begins a multi-year progression to becoming a professional Go player.

The punningly-titled Shion no Ou is another excellent drama about competitive board games, in this case Shougi, or "Japanese chess." Young Shion witnesses her parents' brutal murder at age four and becomes mute in response. After the murder she follows her adoptive father and decides to become a professional Shougi player. The solution of the murder mystery runs in parallel with Shion's development as a player.

Released about the same time as Shion is another underappreciated show, Nijuu Mensou no Musume ("Daughter of Twenty Faces"). In it Hirano Aya plays an orphaned heiress who is kidnapped by a famous master thief named Twenty Faces. This show is based on a manga adapted from the novels of Edogawa Rampo, Japan's Arthur Conan Doyle. Twenty Faces was the Dr. Moriarty character in Rampo's novels, who is pursued by master detective Akechi. In the anime, Twenty Faces is portrayed in a much more positive light with Akechi also appearing from time to time. I think this is one of Hirano's best performances.

I could list some more, but I'm going to stop for now.

Streamed:
Moribito, Erin (both at Crunchyroll)
House of Five Leaves (YouTube)
Hikaru no Go (Hulu)

Licensed:
Twelve Kingdoms
Bakeneko (Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales, vol. 3)

Licensed but now out-of-print:
Saiunkoku Monogatari

Unlicensed:
Mononoke
Shion no Ou
Nijuu Mensou no Musume

Last edited by yuna49 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
cashballer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Been a while since I last posted here. I'm trying to get recommendations for drama shows of a certain variety, and I've been somewhat out of the loop for quite some time, so I'm sure there are recent series I don't know about that fit the bill.
What I'm looking for is drama + romance (not necessarily a whole lot of romance). action and/or comedy subgenres get bonus points, and school/fantasy themes are always good. I need to go find those anime season lineup posters from the past few years and look at them.

My own recommendations from the stuff I have watched recently (not much):

Chūnibyō demo Koi ga Shitai! (Drama, Romance, Comedy) - The character cast, along with a pretty good story, make it shine. The ending seemed a bit hasty, but was good nonetheless.
Accel World (Drama, Romance, Action) - The story sort of fell through at parts, but the character development and action really held it together nicely.
Dog Days' (Drama, Romance, Action, Fantasy) - I guess the first season had a lot more drama than the second. They're blurred together for me now, but there was still a good bit. Applicable to both seasons, I liked that it was a fairly simple story but still had likable characters and great action.
Hyouka (Drama, Romance, Mystery) - I'm not usually a huge fan of mystery, but this was an exception. It had a lot of the same elements that made me like Bakemonogatari so much. The MC and Chitanda worked well together.
Sword Art Online (Drama, Romance, Action, Fantasy) - All of the characters were awesome, and it had great action to match. The story was overall pretty solid too, albeit unrealistic, with plenty of romance in there.

I think it's funny how some of the recommendations in this thread are also in the Slice of Life recommendation thread when the OP says [cannot be combined with slice-of-life] .
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
cashballer wrote:
What I'm looking for is drama + romance (not necessarily a whole lot of romance). action and/or comedy subgenres get bonus points, and school/fantasy themes are always good.

"Drama + romance + school" immediately bring Honey and Clover and Kids on the Slope to mind.

H&C is very much an "older" romance because the kids are college-age, which removes a little more of the angst you'd usually find in teenagers and high school dramas. It takes a very mature approach and interweaves slice-of-life elements in-between as a result of the plot twists, making it one of my absolute favorite titles of the romantic-drama genre.

And I've only seen 4 episodes of Kids, but I find it a very interesting mix of high school drama/romance, coming-of-age story, and period piece all rolled into one. I'd say it's a whole lot of romance in terms of overall scale, thus far, but the presentation itself (art, animation, and music) really help enhance the mood. Plus, it's only 12 episodes, so it's not a whole lot of time to invest.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Ano hana's pretty good but for the BEST anime drama's out there, you have to watch Key's anime. They are legendary in the anime fanbase for making people laugh and smile, as well as making them cry like babies. If I can make a suggestion, theres a new Key anime that's still on first run in Japan called "Little Busters", what I've seen of it is excelent. But for first timers you have got to watch the Clannad and Clannad after story series. Kokoro Connect is also a very good anime, very intense and very dramatic. I haven't finished it yet but what I've seen is wonderful. Very Happy
cashballer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions, both of you. I'm checking out Honey and Clover right now. I had no idea there was a Little Busters anime adaptation, but now that I do I'll definitely pick that up; Kokoro Connect as well since I enjoyed both seasons of Clannad.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:05 am Reply with quote
I was going to say my surprize at Kokoro Connect not getting a mention, but yotsubafanfan did. I happen to think it was a very good work of drama and done rather maturely with interesting characters, especially used well with the supernatural element which could be used to take a closer look at the drama. A favourite of 2012.

For similar reasons I also really enjoyed the drama in Black Rock Shooter anime, it can get pretty nuts in some places, but even the big fights are but elements of the drama. I think it is interesating for placing in what could be expected to be easy solutions, but the easy ones turn out not too good, the moral actually has a good lesson drama for teens.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
Two other drama+school+(some) romance shows worth watching are Kurenai and Ghost Hound.

Kurenai Shinkarou is a sixteen-year-old fist-wielding "dispute negotiator" whose superior asks him to take responsibility for a kidnapped seven-year-old girl. The show has a misleading "harem" component as Shin is surrounded entirely by females of varying ages and degrees of interest in him. But the kidnapping itself uncovers a rather horrible family secret.

Shirow Masamune of GitS fame helmed Ghost Hound as Production I.G.'s 20th Anniversary project. A thirteen-year-old boy is being treated for PTSD after being kidnapped with his older sister when he was four or five and watching her die alongside him. He discovers he has the ability for "astral projection" and later becomes friends with two other disaffected boys. They also learn the technique and together set out in an attempt to identify the kidnapper. The only romance comes between the main boy and a shrine maiden of eleven; at their age it's more about glances and discomfort.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone think of a show that is focused on getting back on your feet, take responsibility for your mistakes in the past, rebuilding broken relationships back together, and forgiveness and the like?

I'd add A Silent Voice but that has yet to get an anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4