• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Adventure anime recommendations.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Okay, I've decided to try and solve the recommendations problem. Recently, there was a request to add a recommendations thread to the index of the All Discussions thread. So figured, why don't we just make a general recommendations section within the index? We can make a separate thread for all of the genres listed here and index each thread, then link them to all of the people who keep bugging for recommendations.

But the problem is eliminating redundancy. All too often, whenever people make suggestions, you always get a handful of people who either recommend the same title or just say something to the degree of "yeah, I'm with him!" We're going to try and get rid of that by selecting the best "presenter" then having the rest of you complimenting (not repeating) the recommendation with additional comments (spoiler-free, of course).

We're still trying to figure out how to incorporate all the other threads into each other as well, but I'm going to be real busy this week and won't be around on the weekend, so I'm getting this out of the way now.

And as always, please do not post one-liners or straight-up lists, or they will be deleted, no questions asked. Please refer to the All Discussions thread starting at this post if you'd like to make suggestions on formatting this new system. Thanks.

Quote:

"From the genre listings thread"] adventure (journeys, quests, exploration, danger)
Exciting stories that let the viewer leave the ordinary behind to experience new and extra-ordinary situations and places. The excitement comes in large part from a sense of discovery, from the mystery and novelty of venturing out into the (often dangerous) unknown. Usually such venturing causes the protagonists to be placed in dangerous situations, which result in action sequences that center on surviving the imminent danger, with the protagonists trying to escape or quickly neutralize the danger.

As stated above Tony said we can create one recommendations thread per genre from Dan's new encyclopedia function he's creating. I expected this to take off and have people quickly making a thread for each of the topics. The opposite happened and no one has made one thread, beyond Tony's here, under this premise. The new "Best Romance anime you've seen lately" thread, while not created for this purpose, would suffice as the Romance genres subsequent thread. So that would make two recommendation threads out of all the genres Dan listed, Action and Romance. That means there's still 14 more that can be made if I am not mistaken. One for each of the remaining genres. So I thought I'd make just a few myself. Since Tony said himself this would be alright, assuming the rest of the rules he mentioned (such as no lists) and for the site get followed, that is still is acceptable. If not then he and the rest of the mods may lock my threads and I'll know not to make anymore for the time being. So with that in mind this thread is for Adventure recommendations.

I'll start it off with 2 of my own. Saiyuki and Kino's Journey. Both are titles that fit the journey and exploration part of the definition for Adventure.

Saiyuki---
Here you have a group of 4 traveling into the west to stop demons who have started to attack and kill humans. Sanzo and his group must travel west to stop the resurrection of a Demon named Gyumao. After 3 seasons and a movie the end is no where in site lol. During their journey west they stop and help villagers and stop various other demons along the way. The show isn't original really and it's not groundbreaking in terms of animation. However the 4 main characters themselves are what I watch the show for. They argue, bicker, and try and almost kill each other half the time. Kind of refreshing to see "heroes" who act like anything but the role they're supposed to be. It's got a lot of action to it and sometimes the show actually gets serious and you get to learn more about the sad pasts of all 4 of the group. While not extraordinary it is a fun show to sit back and enjoy.

Kino's Journey--- This series is about Kino, a young adventurer who rides a talking motorcycle named Hermes. They explore the people and cultures of different places throughout their adventures, spending only three days at each location. it's based from the sensational novel series by Keiichi Sigsawa. The strong point of this show is the character interactions. There is some action in it and fast paced scenes if you will. But the driving force is the interactions between all the characters. There's a real depth to them that many anime lack. The characters come off as real and full of actual character instead of falling flat. The actual art itself is just stunning and gorgeous in itself. This can be a deeper more thought provoking anime so when you watch it make sure you pay attention. There's almost always a lesson if you will behind each episode.
jetz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Fushigi Yuugi - Miaka Yuki is suddenly drawn into the book, "The Universe of the Four Gods" and finds herself in a world resembling Ancient China. Miaka becomes the priestess of Suzaku. She is tasked to find the Seven seishi of Suzaku and aid them in the battle between Konan and Kutou. There are also romance elements, but it's really more of an adventure as Miaka transcends through different dimensions throughout the series.

Basilisk - Has some romance elements, mainly the relationship of Gennosuke and Oboro, who are both leaders of their respective ninja clans. Throughout the series, they are forced to fight to the death with each other to determine who the next shogun will be. They also learn the importance of love and friendship.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:18 am Reply with quote
Do you recommend that later recommendations from the same person be added by making a new reply or edition the previous post?

Mashin Eiyuuden Wataru - The story of a boy from modern day Japan who was drawn into a fantasy world to as the Chosen One who will restore the seven colors of the rainbow in order to Save the World from the Dark Lord. The long reach of the plot is cliche, and it should be. The artwork--including the giant mechas (which are not so gigantic due to the dwarfish framework)--is in a super deformed style--though this isn't apparent for the first 10 minutes or so of the first episode. The show is episodic in a monster of the day style, most of which are caricatures of the then current and recent works of the entertainment industry, though it does from time to time draw from (usually Japanese) folklore. The rogue gallery is an interesting look at what was popular at the time--through a clown's lens.

The show does develop its own identity, mostly through the dynamic between main characters--which, though often comical, has its tender and dramatic moments--and certain important subordinates of the villain. From time to time--as would be obvious from the first episode--, the heroes are due to move onto the next level. It is in these moments that the show takes a more serious turn, and one can notice the change in characterization of the main characters then--and often afterwards, unlike most shows of this type. A quite light-hearted and humorous adventure much like Slayers in tone, for those who are into mecha and allusions.
ace52387

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Vision of Escaflowne - One of if not the most popular anime of its time, Escaflowne is probably one of the most recognized names in anime still. The main character is an athletic, but otherwise average high school girl, Hitomi. She gets transported to a new, violent world where a dark and powerful empire is crushing smaller nations to expand. In this world, destiny is alterable through technology and sheer will. Hitomi becomes a key component in the war because she has the ability to not only see what destiny holds, but with her thoughts, she can change it as well.

Many adventure anime's usually cover several bases from romance, some sort of moral or philosophical message, action, and war/politics. Escaflowne is the same way, but all of these elements are weaved into the core of the story. It doesn't feel like a romantic element was just thrown in from time to time, for example. Everything feels interconnected and the resulting whole feels complete, not splintered or disjointed.
riccardo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Slayers - Lina Inverse is a magic user who steals a treasure from a group of bandits, but one of the items contains a secret that will decide the fate of the world! Along with dim-witted swordsman Gowry, who appoints himself Linas bodyguard and others met along the way, both friend and foe, Linas adventures set the high watermark for all following adventure series.
DClark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:30 pm Reply with quote
R.O.D. (Read or Die) - Both the OAV and the TV series are well made adventures involving people who can manipulate paper to make it do extraordinary things. They have original and intelligent storylines and the animation of both are well done.

The OAV centers around schoolteacher/bookworm/secret agent Yomiko Readman, aka "Agent Paper" and the secret that lies inside a rare lost Beethoven manuscript. The TV series takes place years later and follows three 'paper masters' as they assume bodyguarding duties to protect Nenene, an author targetted for an attack. Many of the faces from the OAV reappear in the TV series but it's largely Anita, Maggie, Michelle, and Nenene's show.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:08 am Reply with quote
DClark wrote:
R.O.D. (Read or Die) - Both the OAV and the TV series are well made adventures involving people who can manipulate paper to make it do extraordinary things. They have original and intelligent storylines and the animation of both are well done.

The OAV centers around schoolteacher/bookworm/secret agent Yomiko Readman, aka "Agent Paper" and the secret that lies inside a rare lost Beethoven manuscript. The TV series takes place years later and follows three 'paper masters' as they assume bodyguarding duties to protect Nenene, an author targetted for an attack. Many of the faces from the OAV reappear in the TV series but it's largely Anita, Maggie, Michelle, and Nenene's show.

Just thought I'd add that anyone who watches and likes these, or already has seen them, and wants to know more of Yomiko and Nenene's background, like how they met etc., should read the manga on it.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to add one of my own to this list.

Fushigi no Umi no Nadia - An early GAINAX work in the general vein of Miyazaki's adventure anime, Nadia works well on several different levels. The story has some bizarre turns at points, but it's well written, and the characters that populate it are 3 dimensional, developing very naturally and interacting in a surprisingly realistic manner. In GAINAX fashion, references to other works can be found, and the animation on the series is superb. However, skip the island episodes, which add nothing to the story, feature shockingly bad animation (characters constantly off-model, frequent looping, etc.), and are overall forehead slap-inducing. Shiro Sagisu's music for the series works very well, and Hideaki Anno's style is apparent throughout (for those who hated Eva's ending, it's nowhere near that blatant most of the time).
young98

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:29 am Reply with quote
Hunter x Hunter is one of my favorite action animes, and according to the definition of the action genre, it fits the bill perfectly
the main character Gon is a kid that lived his whole life on a small island, until one day a hunter shows up, and inspires him to become one as well, Gon ventures out to an unknown world as a naive kid, accompanied by new friends, he fights dangerous enemies,and faces life-threatening tests while having fun at the same time
katon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
well, i prefer to define adventure as a GREAT travel like Popolocrois without kodomo topics, like the castle in the winds but with logic, something like Zelda into anime version... Very Happy
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
If you like stuff like slayers I can reccomend Rune Soldier : It's about a group of female adventurer's who end up taking on a male member due to circumstances that would be spoiler but are pretty hilarious. The humor is pretty much completely unsubtle but it had me laughing sometimes ... and hard.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
well, seeing as i recently watched Guardian of the Spirit and was madly into it, i thought it deserved to be listed here(it is already in some of the other recommendation threads).
hands down, this series is just plain awesome. a strong protagonist, a strong cast in general, top notch animation(everything just looks amazing, i wanna live there!) and a plot that escalates towards an epic ending but without going completely overboard as many anime do.
the only point of criticism for me was spoiler[that the series didn't expand on the notion of a political conflict at court.]

any newer recommendations?
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
I second Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit. It's great from any aspect, but especially if you're looking for an adventure. The two protagonists (Chagum the son of the emperor and his bodyguard Balsa the spearwoman) are on the run from assassins. Their journey for a safehaven takes them from the grand palace in the capital, to skirmishes in rice paddies, from small villages to big cities and mountain roads. I love the attention to detail given to the settings in this series; it makes everything so real.

Castle in the Sky is another great adventure, though being a Miyazaki movie it is very well known. Mostly light and fun, this is an ideal adventure film where flight is the focus. People travel by zeppelin and pirates raid in small planes.

Last but not least I highly recommend Twelve Kingdoms. It is about a girl and her two classmates who are suddenly whisked off to another world with virtually no explanation. This world is about as advanced as that of feudal Japan, and almost immediately after their arrival they are separated from the one who brought them there. With only one of them able to understand the language of the world and able to fight, they try to survive when attacked by vicious monsters, and potentially even more dangerous, try to choose who to trust.
supercreep

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Last but not least I highly recommend Twelve Kingdoms. It is about a girl and her two classmates who are suddenly whisked off to another world with virtually no explanation. This world is about as advanced as that of feudal Japan, and almost immediately after their arrival they are separated from the one who brought them there. With only one of them able to understand the language of the world and able to fight, they try to survive when attacked by vicious monsters, and potentially even more dangerous, try to choose who to trust.

I looked into Twelve Kingdoms but, at least from the trailers I saw on Youtube, I really didn't like the animation style or overall quality. Maybe it's unfair to judge from a trailer, but it just seemed so unappealing.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
Tris8 wrote:

I looked into Twelve Kingdoms but, at least from the trailers I saw on Youtube, I really didn't like the animation style or overall quality. Maybe it's unfair to judge from a trailer, but it just seemed so unappealing.

It takes a bit of getting used to but once you get into it. You are hooked. Great show. The only bad thing about it is that there is more to it. But that was never animated and Tokyo Pop stopped publishing the novels.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2