• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ken Iyadomi on Bandai's Downsizing

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
What did Ken Iyadomi mean by their rights to revert back to their licensors?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
vgiannell5 wrote:
What did Ken Iyadomi mean by their rights to revert back to their licensors?

It's hard to know the contract details, but usually that means it's basically like the shows are back to square 1: Whoever owned the licensing rights has them back (for the case of nichijo and gosick, that company is Kadokawa), and Bandai has no control over them whatsoever:
i.e. they could be licensed to another party without complication.

That being said, there's no guarantee that they will be sold to another company at all.

Also, there could be unsaid timelines here: Perhaps the rights don't revert back until April or next September... But the fact that he stated they will be reverting back like that definitely implies that it'll happen soon, much sooner than the usual 5-7 year length of a licensing contract.
Max465

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:13 am Reply with quote
Honestly I saw something like this coming when they didn't even obtain the licensing rights to one of their own shows. Tiger and Bunny
Mike Hazama

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:29 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
No, I meant the market for American TV series in general, the majority of which would obviously be live-action. Sorry, but most of what you said there doesn't have much to do with what I was thinking of.

But as agila61 said, we're talking niche titles here. Whatever a season of CSI goes for is irrelevant because CSI is not a niche title. Just like Miyazaki movies are not a niche title and sell millions of copies in Japan. Mainstream can only be compared to mainstream, and niche can only be compared to niche.

Ducktales and other children's cartoons are niche titles. They sold for 'mainstream' price and bombed and never finished their's release. Just like how the average late night anime is a niche title and sells for niche pricing, only it succeeds because it sells for more. Or like agila61 said, a lot of companies wont bother releasing those kids cartoons on DVD at all because they know they wont make a profit given how like 98.99% of other kids cartoon DVDs don't sell well.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Max465 wrote:
Honestly I saw something like this coming when they didn't even obtain the licensing rights to one of their own shows. Tiger and Bunny

Its not something that occurred to me at the time, but yeah, you're right: when Bandai decided for their more "mainstream" effort to experiment with new revenue streams via embedded sponsor placement, and for that important new experiment went with Viz instead of Bandai Entertainment, that in itself raised questions about the role of Bandai Entertainment's R1 distribution in the Bandai group of companies. Add it to the direct release of Gundam Unicorn, and with 20/20 hindsight we can say the writing was on the wall.

Be careful how you express that, however ~ ikillchicken has a standing claim that Tiger and Bunny's licensing has zero standing as far as an indicator of Bandai's future direction. I have had my right to argue with him revoked, but you are not so fortunate, so tread carefully.

samuelp wrote:
That being said, there's no guarantee that they will be sold to another company at all.

Also, there could be unsaid timelines here: Perhaps the rights don't revert back until April or next September... But the fact that he stated they will be reverting back like that definitely implies that it'll happen soon, much sooner than the usual 5-7 year length of a licensing contract.

Indeed, there could have been some form of release clause ~ Crunchyroll reportedly picked up the full rights to Aoi Hana to get the streaming rights, but a year later the license lapsed, suggesting that the rights reverted under a clause placing a deadline on a physical release.

I would not be terribly shocked by a Nozomi release of Gosick, but that is mostly a fancier way of saying that its a series that is not a lead pipe cinch to be released.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Picked up "The Girl Who Leapt Through Space" volume 1 at a Suncoast on Monday.

You can't get it at the Right Stuf. Check your Suncoast's and FYE's they still may have copies.
zaltran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?type=bypopularity

This is probably the best view of popularity in the West because of the amount of total people that use MAL... and as you can see, after the shonen stuff there is plenty of moe. Cowboy Bebop doesn't even show up until #18.

Within the top 25, you get Haruhi, Clannad, Lucky Star and K-On. The West likes moe too, even if you try to deny it.

Charred Knight wrote:
and yet despite having a lot of those recent series, Bandai Entertainment is going out of business. Anime was successful in the west because older fans watched it, and bought the physical media. When Moe hit, the age of the fans dropped leading towards more people in their teenage years, which didn't have the money to spend.

Or, in other words, popularity only matters for commercial success if it translates into market size: sales of physical media, sales of licensed merchandise, advertising revenue, etc.

Popularity outside the market is of no benefit.

Makes sense to me. If they don't make money they don't make more anime. Supply and demand in a nutshell.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm just relieved that I WILL be able to buy Code Geass if I want to, which i want to, it's just sad that everything else is getting canceled, especially since people wanted those shows.
ultia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote
Well this sucks, but I can kind of see why its happening. People were never overly willing to pay the price for DVD's for anime, let alone any TV show. I think this is also a symptom of the slow shift from physical copies of media to purely digital. It may take time but once everything shifts over to digital I think price points for sires will drop across the board and make the price Americans are willing to pay look reasonable.

The worst part of all this is the lose of the manga,s. I hope someone picks them up.
jxsilicon9

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
They could easily save on distribution costs by streaming or making available online at cost. Like the apple store.
Avarwen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Took long enough thought the Anime industry in the U.S would have pretty much died out by 09. While it's sad to Bandai go it's no surprise. DVD prices are outrageous to say the least. The anime industry did this to themselves they over saturate the market then over price what they do bring over no to mention so much of it was poor quality . It was hard enough to afford anime in a good economy so it's not likely many people will be buying anime now. The only way I can see anime doing good now is to do a Netflix like service online.

[quote="Charred Knight"][quote="RyanSaotome"]
Charred Knight wrote:
I don't think that's true unless the Japanese give up, one of the main reasons for the loss of popularity was the moe fad driving out the older anime fans. So if Japan can recapture some of the things they did in the late 90's and early 00's than I can easily see anime becoming more popular.

MOE has nothing to do with why so many of us older fans stopped watching anime. When anime first "came" to the states it was something fresh and new. Now it's the same old same old that's always being translated. I'm sure there are good niche anime that will never see the light of day here because they won't be the next Nautaro. So I don't watch anime anymore. Though I still read and enjoy manga.
Nyghtwynd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Is there any way to directly contact Bandai? I placed an order around Christmas on their store, and they charged my credit card, but unlike all the other oders I did with them, I never got a shipping confirmatin e-mail. Still haven't gotten through to their phone line or support ticket site, or gotten my package.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Nyghtwynd wrote:
Is there any way to directly contact Bandai? I placed an order around Christmas on their store, and they charged my credit card, but unlike all the other oders I did with them, I never got a shipping confirmatin e-mail. Still haven't gotten through to their phone line or support ticket site, or gotten my package.

I've been wondering that myself. I'm in pretty much the same situation. I placed an order December 27th and received an order confirmation, and they charged my credit card a couple of days later. No shipping confirmation was sent, though. The same evening they closed the store, I opened a support ticket with a couple of questions, but have yet to hear from Bandai. All the customer support links direct you to the support ticket system. With the layoffs, I can understand there could be a delay in filling orders or responding to tickets, but I just want to know my order hasn't disappeared into la la land. I'd like some reassurance that Bandai isn't going to ship out all it's unsold products to its new distributors without having filled all its e-store orders first.
Nyghtwynd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
GhostShell wrote:
Nyghtwynd wrote:

I've been wondering that myself. I'm in pretty much the same situation. I placed an order December 27th and received an order confirmation, and they charged my credit card a couple of days later. No shipping confirmation was sent, though. The same evening they closed the store, I opened a support ticket with a couple of questions, but have yet to hear from Bandai. All the customer support links direct you to the support ticket system. With the layoffs, I can understand there could be a delay in filling orders or responding to tickets, but I just want to know my order hasn't disappeared into la la land. I'd like some reassurance that Bandai isn't going to ship out all it's unsold products to its new distributors without having filled all its e-store orders first.

Let's hope we get them soon. I kind of understand the whole "4-6 weeks" thing.Pretty sure I was charged Jan. 3 so i assume it shipped that day or the day after. Let's hope they arrive within the next 2 weeks?
Nyghtwynd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Just got an e-mail from bandai. Turns out they were overwhelmed withy orders and support tickets. At least they were appologetic. My dvds are on their way!

Hopefully some other anime company can release Turn A Gundam here.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 31