• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DiCaprio is Producing Akira, Ninja Scroll, Not Acting in Them

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
FWNW wrote:
Ninja Scroll with American ninja? Or the alternative: Ninja Scroll with Japanese Ninja speaking English in Feudal Japan.

Both ideas suck, but they'll have to go with one or the other. So in other words, the idea... SUCKS!

Anime live-action adaptations will soon become as great a trend as comic book adaptations have.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Alas I fathom it will be those of the opposite opinion at whom these projects are aimed.

I guess I'd be one of the opposite opinion? Truthfully, I don't mind Feudal Japanese people speaking English. The Americans playing ninjas irks me very much, though. I mean, even in the Dragonball LA movie, at least they casted Asians in the roles that were 100% Asian (Chi-Chi, Yamcha, Mai, and Roshi are all Asians without a doubt, but Goku's alien, Bulma's probably not, and Piccolo...?)
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I want to see Leonardo DiCaprio's anime collection, personally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quote
First Kanye West, and now Leonardo DiCaprio? Cool beans.

Since I have not read the Akira manga (I did finally get a chance to watch the movie two years ago, though), I don't necessarily care whether or not the script stays extremely close to the original Japanese storyline. Though if the end product really does stay true to the original, then I'm perfectly fine with that, too.

Nice to see this one actually going somewhere, though. But is it still going to be two movies? Judging by the news article, it doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Any clarification on this?
'
As for the Ninja Scroll movie, that will be an interesting adaptation indeed.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
If ANN were to interview Leonardo DiCaprio, that could help to strengthen perspective towards the movies. Since right now he's suggested strongly that he will only be helping in production, and not acting in them, then they might not turn out as bad as some people might think. Especially when we're talking about pretty boy Leo.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
First Kanye West, and now Leonardo DiCaprio? Cool beans.

Don't forget Robin Williams. He loves Evangelion. An EVA-01 action figure in "One Hour Photo" was his that he brought to the set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Prowess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
im scared to think what Akira is going to turn out as a live action.
-I hope they'll pull it off but i aint betting on it in the slightest. there probly gonna tone it down miss this n that out - Oh took that out so eck lets take this out too OMG its Banana's in Pajamas!. na seriusly there gonna take it and trample over it. and if im wrong then feel free to slap me with a trout! as i hope i am.

but i am very intrested on how it turns out. ninja scroll too~
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I find this news interesting yet puzzling as for what comes I will not hold up high expectations so in that way there won't be a really bad head ache when the trailers are viewable. either way weather flop or not what happens happens. one last thing I kinda find it hard to grasp that leo is an anime fan, but hey surprises are always in life
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm just wondering if it's really necessary...

It's not as if anyone other live action has fared well in box offices anyway; he's gotta be a fan because he has to go into this knowing that it probably isn't going to make any money.
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm just wondering if it's really necessary...

It's not as if anyone other live action has fared well in box offices anyway; he's gotta be a fan because he has to go into this knowing that it probably isn't going to make any money.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Call me again when they decide to produce the live-action Kodomo no Jikan film.

AKIRA and Ninja Scroll are about as mainstream as you can get in this field of entertainment. Same goes with Cowboy Bebop and GitS and all the other pieces of trash that will put out next year.

I could care less about a live action Kodomo no Jikan, I just want in the US or Europe.
marzipan.dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:
I want to see Leonardo DiCaprio's anime collection, personally.

I'd be interested just to know what's in it Anime smile

An interview with ANN would be even more interesting.

I'm hoping the films turn out well, but of course there's no pleasing everyone.

In any case: Go Leo!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quote
The odds that we'd get an interview with DiCaprio are very small. That's not actually the actor's fault - publicists who handle press relations for international movie stars and celebrities rarely care at all about "niche press", which is what we are. If I were to run in to the guy on the street and tell him who I worked for and if he'd be OK with sitting down for a few questions from the hardcore fans of the source material for the movies he's producing, he'd probably do it, happy to talk about his personal fandom. Passionate people are like that. But they have handlers, and so his publicist and likely his agent would do their best to make sure the interview was never published.

That's not to say we don't try or won't try. Of course we will.

But to be frank a lot of you come across as though he has to pass some litmus test and you want to see his anime collection and all that is so ludicrously self-righteous and elitist that I can hardly believe it. Like you're qualified to determine who's capable of putting together a solid live-action version of Akira because you've seen the movie before, watch a lot of cartoons and own some DVDs. Yeesh.

Oh and to the guy who said "who cares mainstream crap make a live-action kodomo no jikan" all I can do is laugh at your strained attempts at being edgy and elite.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
To all the people concerned with Hollywood "watering down" certain anime titles...are we thinking of the same Hollywood here? The same Hollywood that managed to produce five Saw titles and seems to have a new ultra-violent blockbuster coming out every month? Razz
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I've never even seen Akira. I'm just curious about his anime tastes. More of a fun little "so famous people like the stuff I like too" thing. Like finding out your favorite celebrity is left-handed like you, or plays World of Warcraft, same as you.

And don't put yourselves down too much Zac. ANN is the definitive anime news site(that I know of). If they're hoping to pull in the anime audience, I'd expect a little PR talk with an anime site or 2 to hype up the production.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I doubt they'll even come close to referencing the idea of drugs though, since the target audience of these films probably still includes teenagers under 18.

.. because an R-rating will drive teens away in droves.

Personally, I'd just as soon not see his collection. Anyone with that high a net worth will either fall in the tremendously huge and/or questionably small[er than expected] category. No win = no thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6