• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DiCaprio is Producing Akira, Ninja Scroll, Not Acting in Them

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:36 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Just so ya know, Alan Moore has never approved of any adaptation of his comics, even when they were good films overall.

That's because there aren't any good adaptations of his work! But I'm hoping that Watchmen changes that losing streak.

LXG wasn't that good, but I liked V For Vendetta.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:58 am Reply with quote
Rogue: Have you seen the original graphic novel?
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:06 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Rogue: Have you seen the original graphic novel?

They mostly just changed the underlying motivations of V and fudged the details of the events at the testing prison. The core of the story was left intact. But alas, we're getting distracted off the topic of this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:21 am Reply with quote
No, the core of the story wasn't intact, since it became an anti-George Bush movie, instead of an anti-Thatcher movie.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:53 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
It seems to me, that it would seem foolish for any artist to dismiss any medium of storytelling, thats why it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that DiCaprio is an anime fan, why would you dismiss any medium, simply because its from another country?

The country in which the work is being made isn't of any importance in comparision to the country in which the work takes place.
They can change aspects such as the latter if they wish to do so, but one hopes (although I expect this opinion will not be shared by more senior members here) that the title of the production would be changed accordingly should they choose to do so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:09 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
But to be frank a lot of you come across as though he has to pass some litmus test and you want to see his anime collection and all that is so ludicrously self-righteous and elitist that I can hardly believe it. Like you're qualified to determine who's capable of putting together a solid live-action version of Akira because you've seen the movie before, watch a lot of cartoons and own some DVDs. Yeesh.

No offense Zac, but given the track record of Hollywood "adaptations", we can't exactly be going in without some skepticism and doubt. Yes, some recent movies have broken that notion, but for every good film based on something else, we will still have the crap, the rip-offs, the "inspired by", etc.

Look at the Spider Man and X-Men franchises for example. From "great" to "eh?" in a matter of 3 movies.

First movie, they go out guns blazing. Second Movie, you can tell that there is something wrong. By the Third, you know a franchise is ****ed when they screw up numerous characters backstories and pass on a whole lineup of someone's Rogue's Gallery to feature a villain who's powers are......less than spectacular.

And to dwell on Spiderman more, they go good on using the Green Goblin and Doc Ock, but then they pass on such characters like Kraven and the Black Cat over and go with the Sandman.

Sandman? Ugh, and Peter's supposed to be the genius....

Speed Racer....instead of giving us camp, they give us what amounts to a Drug Trip. No bad dubbing, no outlandish situations, nothing. Just an excuse to blow a CGI budget sky high.

Transformers....when the movie is about some kid trying to get some ass, and not on THE MAIN CHARACTERS OF THE TITLE, you know something is royally wrong.

There are more, but the point is the same.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:11 am Reply with quote
Well sure, the movies went to crap in the sequels. Crappy sequels are simply a reality in any medium though. If anything you're supporting Hollywood by supporting that the first couple were great movies. Yeah, there have been plenty of misses but there are a heck of a lot of hits. I think chances are good that of the several projects in the works, at least one or two will be good.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
Maybe, ikillchicken, maybe. All I can say is, I lost even more faith in the (Hollywood) system recently by reading a bunch of draft scripts, before they were (mostly) fixed up and used to make some big movies. I don't even know how some of these scriptwriters graduated from film school, let alone got to play in the big leagues. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors going on that we're usually ignorant of, that has to do with covering over the sheer incompetency of a lot of people in Hollywood, even the big names. At least that's my feeling on the matter.

P.S.: It seems to be the Hollywood rule now that when adapting something with a vocal following (any nerdy thing like animé or comics :-), the producer/director/actors all say they're fans of it. It's hard not to be cynical about the likelihood that they were previously fans of something and then actually got to adapt it to film, but more importantly, does it matter? I have seen fine work done with properties by people who actually didn't know a thing about them until they were given the property to work with. Saying they're fans is a smart PR move, but it actually says little about their ability to make a good adaptation.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
I'm in the camp that found Speed Racer awesome! It had the right amount of everything and is thoroughly entertaining! It was a big risk and sadly it didn't play out but for anyone that wants to give their blu-ray player an HDTV a workout, there's nothing better! I wish they'd included mroe behind teh scenes and pre production material though, no doubt they're probably waiting for some anniversary edition to double dip me. Anyway I believe given Speed Racer's adaptation and the Matrix Trilogy that the Wachowskis are perhaps the perfect guys yo do a live action Evangelion should that ever come to fruition. And given that with Tobey Maguire producing Robotech, Dicaprio producing Akira and Ninja Scroll, and James Cameron itching to do Battle Angel Alita after Avatar, that it's only a matter of time. And those films will no doubt wash away the bad taste that FOX is sure to leave with their screw up of Dragonball.

It will be awesome if for Akira they go for the 2 movie deal and adapt the manga. The manga is crazy! Even crazier than the anime! It's gonna require one heck of a budget. Sadly they're going to go with an Americanized version by setting it in NY. But it's going to be an NY that was destroyed then rebuilt using Japanese money and aesthetics. So it could work out, just so long as they adapt the manga events and put them on screen, it'll be out of this world, but again a big budget is needed for this stuff! So I hope it all comes together.

Ninja Scroll I'll bet will be set in Japan with Asian actors and actresses that can speak English. Even Hollywood studios know that audiences will expect their samurai movies to star asian people so they won't mess with that. Just has to be in English and 'Memoirs of a Geisha' proves it can work. Of course I'm guessing that some of the Devils of Kimon or other monsters may be played by non asians but that seems alright and fitting.

As for Watchmen, it seems that WB and Snyder have changed the ending considerably... and that could turn out disappointingly...
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
No, the core of the story wasn't intact, since it became an anti-George Bush movie, instead of an anti-Thatcher movie.

Rabid fanboy strikes again.

we should strive for good movies before we talk about originality to the comic. V for vendetta was a good movie, first and foremost. They modernized the story, whats wrong with that? the original comic was published between 1982-1986, and displayed some of the ideals of the time.Besides making it an "anti-bush movie" was a smart idea, so as to get the younger people interested. So making is make it seem more prevalent was a good move on their part.

Most of themes from V for Vendetta are universal themes, and the core of the film actually did happen in the comic, there was just more in the comic than in the movie.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

And that point that everyone is so quick to make is of course Hollywood sucks and could never hope to do anything as good as the all knowing Japanese masters. Same point made in every single thread involving an American movie with even hints of anime or based on an anime. Rolling Eyes There's no real point in discussing any further as the rabid elitist fans will try and denounce all things Hollywood as inferior. The idea that some here demand to see Leo's anime collection is simply ridiculous. As if his "collection," or anyone else's, has any bearing on his, or anyone else's, quality to be a producer or anything else.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

Generic fanboy complaints? Well I never!
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
hermit: I'm not sure why it really needed a modernization, since it's an alternate reality in the first place. And if young people can see 300 without it having an iPOD inserted in it, then there's no reason for them to dumb down V for Vendetta. And the core of the book was that the corrupt system wasn't just magically put into place, but forced on the people under circumstances beyond their control. [An irony in itself, considering that they completely avoided making that the cause of the problem of the current setting.] Also, the female lead was a whore in the source material, and was an example of someone directly affected by the policies of the state. By making her a bystander, she just ended up being relegated to a sidekick role, when she's clearly a symbol of the movement. So don't give me that "It's essentially the same stuff" argument.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
hermit: I'm not sure why it really needed a modernization, since it's an alternate reality in the first place. And if young people can see 300 without it having an iPOD inserted in it, then there's no reason for them to dumb down V for Vendetta. And the core of the book was that the corrupt system wasn't just magically put into place, but forced on the people under circumstances beyond their control. [An irony in itself, considering that they completely avoided making that the cause of the problem of the current setting.] Also, the female lead was a whore in the source material, and was an example of someone directly affected by the policies of the state. By making her a bystander, she just ended up being relegated to a sidekick role, when she's clearly a symbol of the movement. So don't give me that "It's essentially the same stuff" argument.

Episode 6: Return of the Fanboy

Was the theme of the graphic novel any different from the movie? No. Now your just nit picking. this is getting ridiculously off topic. So I'll stop here.

Quote:
First movie, they go out guns blazing. Second Movie, you can tell that there is something wrong. By the Third, you know a franchise is ****ed when they screw up numerous characters backstories and pass on a whole lineup of someone's Rogue's Gallery to feature a villain who's powers are......less than spectacular.

And to dwell on Spiderman more, they go good on using the Green Goblin and Doc Ock, but then they pass on such characters like Kraven and the Black Cat over and go with the Sandman.

now we're into the prequels Episode 1: the Phantom Fanboy.

Spider-man and the X-Men have over 40 years of comics featuring them in it, so unless you have read all of them i wouldn't start nit-picking any of the story elements added into the movies. Kraven hasn't been used in the comics for a while now, while Sandman remains a pretty major villain. Sandman is also a more recognizable spidey-foe than Kraven.

Also, i love how you mention X-men and then never go anywhere with it, just mentioning that it is a "botched" adaptation and then leaving it at that.

and for the record i liked the racing part of Speed Racer, but everything else sucked. Still a watchable movie though.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
hermit: The theme of the graphic novel was about identity in a uniform society. The theme of the movie is "Fascist dictators are bad, mmkay?".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6