• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses Brave 10 Ninja Action TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
NISA is willing to pull a risky move like this, but they still don't want to put the resources into actually dubbing their series. Ummm?

Being a small company that also localizes games (with lots of dialogue), they have alot of work to do already! They ARE very new too, so maybe more interest and demand with their titles, they will be able to invest more money and staff and we can see dubs.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
NISA is willing to pull a risky move like this, but they still don't want to put the resources into actually dubbing their series. Ummm?

If this is what you call a risky move then why would NISA increase their risk by committing more resources to a dub?
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Jaymie wrote:

Being a small company that also localizes games (with lots of dialogue), they have alot of work to do already! They ARE very new too, so maybe more interest and demand with their titles, they will be able to invest more money and staff and we can see dubs.

With them picking this up pre-air, I think it's very likely this will be their first dub. It's like their first mainstream-like title they've picked up, and getting it early seems like maybe they're trying to step their game up a little.

As long as it doesn't fail miserably, I will definitely be picking this up.
I may even buy it direct, if it comes with some cool swag.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:

You've quite neatly explained it: NISA is willing to pull a risky move like this, but not willing to double down ~ both in financial commitment and also in terms of staff time commitment ~ by committing to a dub.

The only "Ummm?" here is why you added "Ummm?".

For "some people prefer watching their TV" ... yeah, the companies know that. It also costs a pretty penny to satisfy that desire, so not all releases make the cut.

Some people prefer the original voice acting and reading the subtitles, some people prefer the dubs but are willing to buy the subs ... thanks to those people, even titles that can not justify the expense of a dub can still get a translated release.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
With them picking this up pre-air, I think it's very likely this will be their first dub. It's like their first mainstream-like title they've picked up, and getting it early seems like maybe they're trying to step their game up a little.

Mainstream? Brave 10?

Hahahahaahahahah.

With Natsume and now this, it's safe to say that NISA sees great potential with female-targeted shows selling well here in the USA.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
Jaymie wrote:

As long as it doesn't fail miserably, I will definitely be picking this up.
I may even buy it direct, if it comes with some cool swag.

They've done mainstream in the past... Pandora Hearts was quite a mainstream title as was Toradora! I think I'll be passing on this one. I'll try the simulcast but this doesn't seem like the type of show I'd want to watch again and again.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Even if it's an action title, like their other titles, Pandora Hearts and Kimi no Todoke 1,2, I think this will attract female audiences.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
MrHatandClogs wrote:

Mainstream? Brave 10?

Hahahahaahahahah.

With Natsume and now this, it's safe to say that NISA sees great potential with female-targeted shows selling well here in the USA.

I'm talking about and action-oriented show, I mean American mainstream. The most popular shows here are action/battle anime...
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
MrHatandClogs wrote:

Mainstream? Brave 10?

Hahahahaahahahah.

Brave 10 seems to be like Sengoku Basara but with more scantily clad female characters.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
MrHatandClogs wrote:

Mainstream? Brave 10?

Hahahahaahahahah.

Brave 10 seems to be like Sengoku Basara but with more scantily clad female characters.

Without the absurdist humor I imagine?

Also (sarcasm) there are female characters? I could of sworn the trailer only showed men.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Whoa! First Sentai and now NIS is jumping on the "license stuff before they air" train? Hmmm...nice that NIS is branching out a bit.

funimation does it to, they did it with the last exile anime that just aired, and they also licensed fractale before it finished airing
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Well, well, is NIS America, of all people, stepping up to plate with Bandai's recent bow? Didn't think they would license a show pre-debut (a gamble I think too many distributors are beginning to make)…

couldnt agree more with the pre debut gamble that seems to be the norm with Sentai recently. Quite uncomfortable about it because i personally dont think its worth it, at least give it 6 episodes have aired or something minimum. Personally i dont mind waiting a year for a title.

And with that i'd like some more shows that have already aired over the last 3 years to be given a shot.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also (sarcasm) there are female characters? I could of sworn the trailer only showed men.

Unless the anime changes things Anastasia and Isanami will be women. Both of which get placed in really revealing situations early on in the story.

Last edited by ArsenicSteel on Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I'll give this series a try when released. I've bought Toradora, Persona Trinity Soul, Our Homes Fox Diety, and Pandora Hearts from them and really enjoyed them more than I thought I would. So, I'll continue to look forward to any future releases they have even if they are sub only.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
MrHatandClogs wrote:

Mainstream? Brave 10?

Hahahahaahahahah.

I'm talking about and action-oriented show, I mean American mainstream. The most popular shows here are action/battle anime...

They've picked up most of their other shows without any kind of streaming availability. None of their anime or games have relied on the vanilla American mainstream audience. And Brave 10, chock full of bishounen, is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3