• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Zero no Tsukaima F TV Anime Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
.......brix where fukkin shat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
J3N0V4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
So we're looking at about 2 hours before the first episode is up...... Oh Desire!!!!!
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
So, I'm curious. We're seeing a lot of activity this season already for Crunchyroll, Sentai, and even NISA. Where's Funimation in all of this? Wasn't Funico created to see what series are dub-worthy? If I remember correctly, their announcements came later last season, so I'm guessing that's why we haven't heard anything yet.

Also, I'm kind of wondering if NISA's and Sentai's decision to license early (even before the series air) is a result of Funico - in order to get series they're potentially interested in, they need to license early to prevent Funico from picking it up for streaming (with Funi, therefore, getting first dibs if they continue with a DVD/blu-ray license).

Feel free to correct me on any misconceptions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Funico was a couple episodes late for most of their stuff last season. Which makes it kinda pointless to view hits to see which will get a dub... why would people wait and be a few episodes behind on their streams? Unless you hope your fanbase are all white knights or something and refuse to use fansubs, its not a very viable business strategy.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Funico was a couple episodes late for most of their stuff last season. Which makes it kinda pointless to view hits to see which will get a dub... why would people wait and be a few episodes behind on their streams? Unless you hope your fanbase are all white knights or something and refuse to use fansubs, its not a very viable business strategy.

That's not just White Knights. There's also people who work for a living and can't be bothered to chase down fansubs for series that are going to be readily available in a week or two.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

That's not just White Knights. There's also people who work for a living and can't be bothered to chase down fansubs for series that are going to be readily available in a week or two.

You can easily set up a torrent to download something by itself the minute its posted. Granted, its not something I'd expect people who watch streams to know how to do, but the excuse that its tough to find fansubs or waste time downloading them isn't hard to refute.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

last season is kind of different. CR is one week behind on most of their releases too. Example, Fate Zero.

people said CR will have problem because Funico. lol CR gets most of the good series this season.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

I want you type [Enter Show of Choice Here] episode 1 into Google and come back here to tell me how incredibly hard it is to find fansubs. Go on, I'll wait the .03 seconds it takes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
agila61 wrote:

I want you type [Enter Show of Choice Here] episode 1 into Google and come back here to tell me how incredibly hard it is to find fansubs. Go on, I'll wait the .03 seconds it takes.

agila61 is not wrong. You can find it easily, doesn't mean anything.
Alot of people really don't want to bothered with torrent and different type of codex, ect. They would rather pay $5 a month and watch them on stream.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I'd argue that its EASIER to find fansubs than legal streams. For example, a rip of the Shana 3 - Episode 12 NicoNico stream had about 5000 downloads, and the actual stream itself had less than 250 views.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I'd argue that its EASIER to find fansubs than legal streams. For example, a rip of the Shana 3 - Episode 12 NicoNico stream had about 5000 downloads, and the actual stream itself had less than 250 views.

those data doesn't mean anything. lol Fansubs are easy to find only if you know it about it. Average people, not Otaku(people who watch alot of anime are consider Otaku in Japan) can't find them. I can name an anime like "hayate no gotoku", random people can't find the torrent. IF you google it, CR website will probably come up before torrents.

that's not easier. people just don't want to support it because companies can't catch you and hard to punish you.

Just like this show and people who post here. They know they can watch it free one week late at CR, most people will probably not watch it on CR. Also CR paid members still download it even after they watched on stream.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:

Also, I'm kind of wondering if NISA's and Sentai's decision to license early (even before the series air) is a result of Funico - in order to get series they're potentially interested in, they need to license early to prevent Funico from picking it up for streaming (with Funi, therefore, getting first dibs if they continue with a DVD/blu-ray license).

Feel free to correct me on any misconceptions.

I don't about NISA, but Sentai has been licensing shows prior to their airing for quite some time as had ADV before them. They've been simulcasts for nearly two years now. They also stated back in their early days that they had a few licenses they had picked up prior to their airing. I always assumed Tears to Tiara was one as Sentai's DVD sets bowed within days of the Japanese releases.

As for the Zero news, I would be happier if there were a way to legally watch seasons two and three. Maybe CR will nab those too, but until then I'm not skipping ahead to season 4. Nice try though.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
As for the Zero news, I would be happier if there were a way to legally watch seasons two and three. Maybe CR will nab those too, but until then I'm not skipping ahead to season 4. Nice try though.

I'm with you. I have the first season box and would love to see the 2nd and 3rd legally, so I'll be passing on Season 4 until....
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

It is going to be quite a feat if they do. CR has nabbed previous seasons before, but AFAIK, they never needed to grab more than one. For ZnT they would need to grab 3, which would not be an insignificant addition to their library.

Frankly, CR getting this was almost as big a (pleasant) surprise as them getting Nisemonogatari.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1