• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Everyone shows grief in different ways. Some do it by crying their eyes out, some do it by acting numb. There's no real standard you can hold to it. In this case, though, the older girls and Yuuta are holding in most of it namely for Hina's sake. She's 3 and doesn't understand the gravity of the situation so they have to act strong for her sake.

I can testify to this actually. When I learned that a person I had known was dead, my only reaction was a hollow feeling and then feeling empty for the next week.

I didn't cry or anything, I just felt empty and emotionless.

dtm42 wrote:
I'm surprised you would admit this in public. Anyone who was touched by the absolute farce that was Yuri's backstory really . . . really . . . hmm. I don't know how to put this without being impolite, so all I'll say is that it was not well executed at all. They came up with the most contrived and ridiculous and moronic backstory ever and laid it on as thick as possible, held a huge sign above it with flashing neon lights which said <==DRAMA, and then were like "ARE YOU TOUCHED YET?! THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE TOUCHING!!"

So Angel Beats is written like every Key series ever?
Yeah, that ham-fisted directing is called 'fail'.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Personally, I am now very curious to see how the next episode gets handled and will certainly be watching it. Along with BSP, this is increasingly looking like one of my other 1-2 keepers for the new season.

Me too, and if you'll recall, I kind of hated episode one. I didn't really feel that the spoiler[parents' death] was too quick; the entire end of the episode reminded me of early parts of Bunny Drop, particularly when spoiler[Yuuta stood up for the girls sticking together and offered to take them in.] The fanservice still bothers me, as do the shiny red accents on female skin, but if this series can bring itself to tone down the service, it could really be quite sweet. Color me surprised!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
vinamara wrote:
Leebo wrote:
The parents going missing is basically the entire premise of Listen to me Girls, so maybe it's just hard for me to look at it from the perspective of someone who didn't know it was happening.

Like, if you were telling someone about the show, I wouldn't consider it a spoiler really. I was surprised they didn't do it in episode 1, actually.

Yeah, they could've taken care of that in episode one without wasting time on trivialities. Dunno why they did that.

I think I'll agree with this sentiment.

The show is a comedy, not a drama, so it shouldn't dwell on a tragedy of this sort, so I completely understand the understating of the situation, but I wonder if the source material could have been rewritten for the anime better. If the point is that he's raising the girls AFTER the parent go missing, I wonder if they shouldn't have just started the show off with everyone living together already. The tragedy and earlier life could have been shown in flashbacks to explain what happened. What works on the page doesn't always work on the screen.

Unless they do dwell on the dramatic aspects of this story for most of the series I think they should have downplayed this tragedy even more. But I'm guessing that by the 4th episode things will more or less already be returned to a status quo of loli panty shots, tsundere scolding and embarrassing encounters between the kids, the papa and the respective school friends and perverts. So why dwell so much on it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
vinamara wrote:
I totally agree with you there. I've seen Angel Beats pull that off. Its all in the storytelling technique and its execution. Every back story in Angel Beats touched my heart because it was beautifully executed.

I'm surprised you would admit this in public. Anyone who was touched by the absolute farce that was Yuri's backstory really . . . really . . . hmm. I don't know how to put this without being impolite, so all I'll say is that it was not well executed at all. They came up with the most contrived and ridiculous and moronic backstory ever and laid it on as thick as possible, held a huge sign above it with flashing neon lights which said <==DRAMA, and then were like "ARE YOU TOUCHED YET?! THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE TOUCHING!!"

Yeah, that ham-fisted directing is called 'fail'.

why do i get the feeling that everything has to fit to your standards or it's just shit. I know that people have opinions on certain things but nit picking at every little thing just ruins half the fun. You want fail in my own opinion, madoka or the character was completely useless until the final episode.
spoiler[
She just stood back and didn't do a damn thing even after mami was killed like shinji.. but moving on oh lets do cop out where she becomes god by using a deus ex machina then all is right with the world. Meh that's enough from me I am off to write my own previews for winter 2012 later bros also feel free to use this sign.]

Edited for spoilers oh god

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Cecil:

SPOILERS

God dammit, if I have to tell another Madoka fan that "NO, not everyone has seen your precious little show STOP SPOILERING IT ALL OVER THE GOD DAMN PLACE" I'm gonna go insane
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
The problem is, Cecilthedarkknight_234 is not a fan of PMMM so doesn't mind spoiling it. Reminds me of Rosie O'Donnell spoiling the twist to Fight Club.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Meh that's enough from me I am off to write my own previews for winter 2012 later bros also use this sign.

Goodbye.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The problem is, Cecilthedarkknight_234 is not a fan of PMMM so doesn't mind spoiling it. Reminds me of Rosie O'Donnell spoiling the twist to Fight Club.

Meh that's enough from me I am off to write my own previews for winter 2012 later bros also use this sign.

Goodbye.

oh I loved the show don't get me wrong, I am just showing how fun nitpicking can be since you have fun doing it. As on spoilers the show is over a year old now, if you haven't seen by now get the hell over it. This is on par like spoiling star-wars ep v spoiler["Luke I am your father"].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
So, you'll cover up the twist to Empire Strikes Back when that movie is over thirty years old, but you won't cover up the spoiler of a show that ended less than a year ago and has yet to be released on home video in most places in the world?

You're not really proving that you like the show. In fact, it seems like you have it in for PMMM, since your actions are deliberate and not just a mistake.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Goodbye.

oh I loved the show don't get me wrong, I am just showing how fun nitpicking can be since you have fun doing it. As on spoilers the show is over a year old now, if you haven't seen by now get the hell over it. This is on par like spoiling star-wars ep v spoiler["Luke I am your father"].

Or maybe, just maybe, I decided to not be a leeching fan-sub watcher contributing to the downfall of the US anime industry and WAIT (waiting, that's a concept that has been destroyed thanks to the internet) for an official release, which it IS getting.

"It's a year-old and super-popular, I can spoil it" is the WORST, more arrogant, and dickish excuse for not properly hiding spoilers.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote

Saying the show is over a year old is misleading, as it started airing in January, but didn't end until late April, so your spoiler is only about 9 months old. And more importantly, not known by anyone deliberately holding off for a legal U.S. release.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
"It's a year-old and super-popular, I can spoil it" is the WORST, more arrogant, and dickish excuse for not properly hiding spoilers.

Exactly.

I hate lots of things, but at least I display a minimum amount of courtesy and hide spoilers, even of stuff I despise. Deliberately not tagging spoilers just for the lulz or to impair some peoples' enjoyment of a show is just rude and childish.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
So, you'll cover up the twist to Empire Strikes Back when that movie is over thirty years old, but you won't cover up the spoiler of a show that ended less than a year ago and has yet to be released on home video in most places in the world?

You're not really proving that you like the show. In fact, it seems like you have it in for PMMM, since your actions are deliberate and not just a mistake.

I just didn't like main female character or how the fandom is attracting to her "church of madoka comes to mind from face book". It was an original anime so I can't say that they forced rushed the ending from a visual novel/manga or light novel and did a lazy adaptation, " this is where I do most of nitpicking". Even if this series hasn't been released world wide if not for the fan-subbers it wouldn't have gotten attention to come here.

I can not even personally think of the last magical girl show to get a license for a domestic release outside of card captor sakura back in 05 I don't have it in for the show in anyway I really do love madoka however the marketing for it here prior aniplex usa was well non existent outside ann, blogs and japan web-sites. Moving on my pre-orders are in for this series and this thread would seem to be dead until the spring previews.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
oh I loved the show don't get me wrong, I am just showing how fun nitpicking can be since you have fun doing it. As on spoilers the show is over a year old now, if you haven't seen by now get the hell over it.

And that kind of statement just invites Mods (like me!) to step in and remind you of the Third Commandment of ANN:

Thou shalt use spoiler tags when giving major spoilers, whether thou deems it warranted or not.
Raneth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode of Moretsu Pirates.

Gotta say, I wasn't as impressed as most of the reviewers. I didn't hate it-I liked the sci fi setting, I liked the characters for the most part (although black haired glasses girl screams of the "tough but likes cute things" stereotype that's been prevalent since Azumanga, which I dislike) but so far I didn't find myself swept up into anything. There's just no real clue yet what the rest of the show will bring-will it just be her adventures learning to captain the ship? Is there some big conflict happening right now? I see nothing that would make me care about watching the rest, and the opening theme, with tons of girls, is kind of offputting IMO.

I can see why others like it, but it's kind of a watch-and-wait for me. If it gets really popular and people start praising an intriguing plot I'll check it out further.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
I can not even personally think of the last magical girl show to get a license for a domestic release outside of card captor sakura back in 05

animenewsnetwork.com/review/magical-girl-lyrical-nanoha/dvd-box-set
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 53 of 54