• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Watch out for Shonen Bat

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:57 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ok, Lain with a baseball theme.

oh god, you've never seen this show have you? if so you would understand how it works. it's a lot more complicated than that.

spoiler[shounen bat isn't real. a famous toy designer lied and said she was hit by a guy with a bat to gain pity, and the idea manifested it's self into reality through rumors people spread].

Paranoia Agent is nothing like Lain. where Lain was more about the existence of god, and the web etc, Paranoia agent is about society, and the need to hide from our troubles rather than face them.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:21 am Reply with quote
Totally agree with v1cious.
Interesting Jisatsu Circle comparison. Haven't seen the film, but I have read to manga and thats probobly even more graphic.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:42 am Reply with quote
You know, I'm not an instant fan of Paranoia Agent, but Geneon's ignorance astounds me. From http://www.animeondvd.com/conitem.php?item=107:
"The "Lil' Slugger" name in Paranoia Agent was decided upon based on the fact that there's a wide audience for the title based on the success of previous Satoshi Kon works, and so the decision to come up with a non-Japanese name was made."

Of course the irony is that there's a wider audience for his work, because of its Japanese elements. Anyway, you can also thank them for refusing to release the uncut Dog of Flanders on dvd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2