• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bodacious Space Pirates (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I typically dislike shows that just rush to action at the expense of character development, though I can understand why some aren't all that interested in watching a group of high school girls doing pre-flight checkups and such.

What character development? We were introduced to a confident, capable lead character in episode one and that's what we see in episode 2. That's zero development in my book. Personally, I'm glad they didn't go the clichéd root of having a goofy ditz who must grow into her role as captain, but if the plot is going to crawl then I'd like to see some genuinely interesting character work at play as compensation.

There could have been some interesting material to be mined with her mother's admission that she hid the fact of her father (who he was, what he did and the fact that he was still alive) from her, but that gets glossed over with, in essence, a cheery, "eh, I don't mind." Again, not the stuff of crackling drama, but I guess you can argue it does veer from the expected.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What character development?

Quote:
Allowing Marika to familiarize herself with all concepts of space warfare (including electronic) is certainly interesting to me.

Not to mention her getting further acquainted with Chiaki, who will undoubtedly be a vital crewmate (perhaps even first mate) on board the Bentenmaru.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Watching a character become familiar with "all concepts of space warfare" may be interesting, but it doesn't count as character development. Nor does watching her get acquainted with another character. Perhaps we are not using the same definition of character development? To me, character development the unfolding of different facets and traits. A cheerful, confident character who starts of as a Level 1 magic user and ends up a cheerful, confident Level 36 magic user has not developed in the character sense no matter how much magic she has learned or how many friends she met along the way.

Last edited by Blood- on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
If that Level 36 Mage now has to undertake tasks that the level 1 could not have performed, then yes it does, in my opinion. Do you only view a character by their personality?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much, yeah. As I say their professional development may be interesting (or not) but does not speak to their character. But yeah, if you think we are being presented with a nuanced, complex character here, then far be it from me to rain on that parade (er, any more than I already have, I mean).
naninanino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Pretty much, yeah. As I say their professional development may be interesting (or not) but does not speak to their character. But yeah, if you think we are being presented with a nuanced, complex character here, then far be it from me to rain on that parade (er, any more than I already have, I mean).

In that case, very few anime have character development. Changes in circumstances, past revelations, motives. This all counts as character development for me. Everything that lets you learn more about a character, both passive and active.

Not that I'd complement this show for having it in any specifically noteworthy ways. She was shooting a gun with her mom or something? Big deal. The only thing noteworthy in that was how ridiculous it was.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
@ naninanio - yeah, I agree - anime is not rife with character development as I define it. Changes in circumstances, past revelation and motives can help us learn about a character if that character expresses a point of view about them. Right now, I'm not getting much from Our Lead in terms of her attitude towards anything, really, other than she's not ready to decide if she'll become a pirate captain (and that she is confident and capable, as I already noted).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Well episode one had her find out that she had to make a choice to be a space pirate captain or not, the reasons we were given was who her father was, and that she is apparently a good pilot. Episode two specificly said that being a good pilot does not necesery make her a good captain, we need to really see what traits make her worthy of her role. As such she found the ship under a cyber attack, and she made the quick decision to not just defend, but hit back, a decision that will likely make her competent.

Marika also learned about a tool of the trade, that is the guns, her mother showed her a side that she was not aware of. Was told that in the police, the decision of weapon is a weight set on the system, while for a pirate the weight is put on each individual. Perhaps just how she holds the gun (to impress) will be the difference of someone dying.

Also interested to hear that most of the guys in the cafe were technically good guys.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
Well, I've only seen episode 1. So, forgive me if I'm somewhat nescient to any recent revelations or changes. However, I think the pacing was superb, if not a bit too fast.

The first episode revealed that Marika was the daughter of some late, famous and revered space pirate captain, and that she was required to assume his position. All of that, including her mother being a pirate, as well, was thrown at you in the very first installment. The animation and art were crisp, and I love Marika's character design.

I'm hoping for this one to maintain its level of quality and perfect execution of an unoriginal concept until episode 13.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:47 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Well, I've only seen episode 1. So, forgive me if I'm somewhat nescient to any recent revelations or changes. However, I think the pacing was superb, if not a bit too fast.

The first episode revealed that Marika was the daughter of some late, famous and revered space pirate captain, and that she was required to assume his position. All of that, including her mother being a pirate, as well, was thrown at you in the very first installment. The animation and art were crisp, and I love Marika's character design.

I'm hoping for this one to maintain its level of quality and perfect execution of an unoriginal concept until episode 13.

It's going to be 26 episodes so don't worry.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:21 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:

Good god, that's just bizarre. Virtually every show ever created introduces its basic premise in the first episode. What would be a speed that you'd find not too fast ... the pirates showing up on her doorstep in, say, episode 3? Need about three episodes of seeing her as a high school student/maid cafe waitress, do you? Wow, I can only imagine how a 30 minute stand alone OVA must leave you absolutely gobsmacked at the speed at it unveils its revelations. Oi frigging vey.
Botan24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

There could have been some interesting material to be mined with her mother's admission that she hid the fact of her father (who he was, what he did and the fact that he was still alive) from her, but that gets glossed over with, in essence, a cheery, "eh, I don't mind." Again, not the stuff of crackling drama, but I guess you can argue it does veer from the expected.

I wanted to address the issue of Marika "dealing" with her father's death. When Marika is shown to be simply surprised/mystified about her father (and about his being a pirate) that seems much more believable than a teary eyed/enraged, "Why didn't you tell me?" kind of reaction. Case and point: my friend's parents divorced when he was five. They lived in Kansas at the time, but his mom moved back to Michigan with her son. Dad stayed behind, and disappeared from his son's life. Now, I asked him once, "Don't you feel sad/angry/resentful because your father isn't/wasn't around?" He said no, he didn't because he couldn't clearly remember what it was like to have a father. He had no tears or anger, just an acceptance of what is.

*Disclaimer*I would like to add that I'm not saying one has to have a father figure in their life. My friend is a very well-rounded individual, and that's due to a combination of his mother's example, and his own willpower. It just seemed a lot like Marika's situation.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
@Botan24 - I would not argue either for or against if Marika's reaction is realistic or not, because that isn't my point. Her rather phlegmatic reaction may, in fact, be quite realistic. It is also dramatically flaccid. Now, I am also not arguing for the standard, "Oh my god, Mother, how could you have kept this from me???" because we've all seen that scenario a million times. I'm just saying that, so far, this is not a particularly high intensity show - especially for one that has "Bodacious" and "Pirates" in the title.

Also, I hope people understand that I like this show. I'm looking forward to the next eppie. I just wouldn't be opposed if the plot got kicked into a higher gear, that's all.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for the quality entertainment to kick in, I'm not quite sure why Zac and other well-known reviewers have endorsed this show so much with a high rating. Don't get me wrong, it looks promising and has a good premise but by no means am I hooked for an entire season. I mean, they've done nothing impressive yet except introduce the concept of pirates in space and how awesome it is (er, is going to be)!
Botan24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@Botan24 - I would not argue either for or against if Marika's reaction is realistic or not, because that isn't my point. Her rather phlegmatic reaction may, in fact, be quite realistic. It is also dramatically flaccid. Now, I am also not arguing for the standard, "Oh my god, Mother, how could you have kept this from me???" because we've all seen that scenario a million times. I'm just saying that, so far, this is not a particularly high intensity show - especially for one that has "Bodacious" and "Pirates" in the title.

Also, I hope people understand that I like this show. I'm looking forward to the next eppie. I just wouldn't be opposed if the plot got kicked into a higher gear, that's all.

Yeah, I figured as much. But I wanted to use your original comment to springboard my own observation. I just think it shows classier writing to have a character who's never met their father give a more flaccid response. And because of that this show (storyline wise) went up in my opinion. Because, honestly after the first episode I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. But now, I'm starting to feel excited about Space Pirates. Here's to episode three!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 27