• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bodacious Space Pirates (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madscripter
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Just watched Eps 4 and the pace is picking up. I agree that the pace is somewhat slow, but I also love anime like Noir and and Aria so I tend to like slower anime as long as it a good story.

I am really liking the heroine Marika Kato, especially in this episode.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I think one of the greatest aspects of this series is the fact that they aren't rushing Marika into her position as captain. While it may make the show feel slow to others, I think that these events leading to Marika's eventual acceptance of her future position make her feel a bit more real to me than the characters that are placed into their positions right from the start.

The cliffhangers that the episodes end on keep me counting the days until the new episode comes out!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
The pace has been going fine for me, the more we go the more we see that Marika will actually go into her role. Episode 4 seemed to focus on the use of their ship's radar and useing some of the previous electronic warfare, and that Marika does have skills in strategy.

Also about the rest of the crew, they said that they all have their own circumstances, would be cool to see more, the pres and vice pres for instance are interesting. The fact that the pres is surprisingly smart spoiler[knew about Marika's pirate situatuon and that the teachers are not normal]. And the vice preident apparently previously spoiler[got in trouble for hacking.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote
The pace is a problem for me. I want to meet the wacky peeps who no doubt make up the pirate ship crew. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait until episode 25 for that. Rolling Eyes
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Immediately after finishing episode 3, my kneejerk reaction was to drop it, this plot is going nowhere fast. I also groaned inwardly at the locker room hijinks and the really rather voluptuous spacesuits. It seemed at odds with a show that seemed to be going to great lengths to show things being done 'properly'.

The suits were no more voluptuous than those characters daily attire. Futuristic space stories tend to move away from the clunky Apollo suits and more towards Biosuits like in Mourestu Pirates.

Who knows we might even see similar suits in our lifetime. Oh wait then that would mean NASA is trying to give us fanservice.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Who knows we might even see similar suits in our lifetime. Oh wait then that would mean NASA is trying to give us fanservice.
They've got to make themselves a funding priority somehow.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I have no problem with how alluring the suits are; from an aesthetic standpoint they DO look better than your standard chunky NASA effort. It just seemed an oddity in a show trying to be serious is all. It's like serious-serious-OHHEYLOOKBOOBIES-serious-serious.

(edit: No, that's not right, it's not THAT serious a show at all, it can be pretty light-hearted in its tone. I think the service just threw me a curveball since there's not really been an awful lot of it thus far.)
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
I'm still very much enjoying this series. It's a strange blend of exciting and relaxing; I'm interested and enthused by what I'm seeing, but feel very comfortable and at ease too. It helps a lot that it feels as though a complete story has been planned and laid out, so it seems as though the series knows just whither it's going and how quickly it needs to move to get there. I'm still liking Marika a lot; it's a lot easier to swallow and enjoy a character like her when she's built up gradually. Seeing some touches applied to the other members of the yacht club was a nice touch, I just hope that there's more of it as what's been done so far is a touch perfunctory.

Even though I'm very much enjoying it, enough that I watched episode four twice, I fear that my suspension of disbelief might soon put in for overtime pay because of the scenario being set up. I don't have any difficulty in accepting that a high school on another planet in the relatively far off future there is a space yachting club with an old pirate ship, but I find it harder to accept that spoiler[said pirate ship was not disarmed before entering civilian service and that a crew of high school girls seriously intend to and are being allowed to knowingly enter a battle]. What's especially baffling is how spoiler[Marika rationalized her choice. To my mind, that they got into a real fight on a training cruise would give 'the adults' more, not less reason to forbid such cruises in the future.] The scenario would have been more plausible if the writers had spoiler[exploited the communications jamming to make contacting the authorities impossible, thus forcing them into the fight.] I'm also left wondering why Kane and Misa are beingspoiler[ so passive in the face of what we are being lead to believe is a potentially serious threat]; I can only hope that they end up having known something that the girls didn't. I have a feeling that what is about to happen will be pretty cool and keep the feel that I've found so appealing about this series, but I'm not sure that it will make since for it to happen. I'm still enjoying it and look forward to the next episode with ample anticipation, but things like this make that harder work than it need be.

Mits wrote:
I didn’t know about Pauly Shore at all, and I think almost nobody know him here in Japan.

Then you are a lucky nation.

Mits wrote:
if the word ‘bodacious’ brings a certain comedian or a silly surfer stereotype in your mind, then yeah, that seems something is wrong.

In a way the inadvertently silly title worked out; I don't know if I would have been as interested in this series if the title hadn't been there to set me up with incorrect expectations that the preview guide decisively defeated. Besides that, the title adds to my affection for the series.

Mits wrote:
So, I really don’t know what you are saying by inconsistencies. In the original novel, there are so many super technologies that people are using without detailed explanation, and some of them are inconsistent with today’s physics, such as overcoming the velocity of light and controlling a gravity inside a spaceship.

So far I think that it's done very nice job of either obeying physics as far as entertainment allows and portraying a world that operates by consistent rules, even if things in that world should be impossible. The only really way that might have been obviously inconsistent with this 'realism' is that the girls went outside of the Odette II in spacesuits without any obvious means to control their position in space and avoid drifting helplessly into the void, like tethers, hand-grips, maneuvering thrusters or magnetic boots. There could be something that simply wasn't explained, but when they go to the trouble of explaining that hair should be tied back for spacewalks so that it doesn't fall into one's field of vision, which I appreciated, not accounting for something as important as how to move in zero-gravity becomes more conspicuous.

Mits wrote:
Recently, the feasibility of solar sailing was confirmed by JAXA (http://www.jaxa.jp/projects/sat/ikaros/index_e.html) and the author definitely knew that this project was proceeding when he wrote this story.

Neat! I read a lot of science-fiction and speculation about technology when I was a boy and remember reading about the possibility of solar sails back then. It's nicely in keeping with both the pirate motif and the realism. It's also a far better portrayal and far better experience generally than the last anime that I saw with sails on spaceships in it, granted it's hard not to beat Odin: Photon Space Sailer (sic) Starlight.

dirkusbirkus wrote:
I have no problem with how alluring the suits are; from an aesthetic standpoint they DO look better than your standard chunky NASA effort. It just seemed an oddity in a show trying to be serious is all. It's like serious-serious-OHHEYLOOKBOOBIES-serious-serious.

(edit: No, that's not right, it's not THAT serious a show at all, it can be pretty light-hearted in its tone. I think the service just threw me a curveball since there's not really been an awful lot of it thus far.)

The spacesuits et al gave my eyebrows a raise too, but it's gone very light on it and doesn't interrupt the story to point it out or incorporate it, so I there's little need for the fanservice police to walk this beat, besides, they're likely plenty busy with Highschool DxD, it's got to be like west Baltimore over there, but with boobs instead of crack.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:55 am Reply with quote
I think Kain and Misa's attitude can be explained by the fact that spoiler[they're in touch with the Bentenmaru - backup's just a phonecall away(if that)], so they might as well let the girls try to handle things themselves. As for the Odette II, I think that's mostly a matter of cost - spoiler[actually removing the weapons systems would probably be expensive, so simply emptying the magazines makes some sense; any ammo on board is almost certainly the doing of the Bentenmaru's crew].
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
So far I've only had time to watch episode 4 once (it was a busy weekend) but from my single viewing I was not under the impression that spoiler[they were going into battle in a literal "guns blazing" sense.] It seemed to me that they were speaking more figuratively. Also, spoiler[the president specifically questioned Marika about her motives for wanting to engage and received an answer which satisfied her, and the president seems to be a girl with her head firmly on straight, so a reasoned decision was made on whether or not the risk factor was too high.] That's the kind of thought process which is all too often absent in anime and just one of the reasons I liked this episode, too.

Man, I need to find time to watch the whole episode again - and that's something I don't often say about series that I watch as they're being simulcast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
escape artist, please take note, that i will likely print out your first post in this thread, frame it and put it on my room's wall. i can definitely feel the response you talked about. everytime i listen to the opening song, a big, dumb grin spreads across my face, i stand up and play air guitar and bang my head.
during the episodes so far i was more than delighted with the fact that the series actually gives space to repsonses that you rarely see from characters in other series. since it has been compared to outlaw star quite a lot, lemme pick up on that:
in some of the first outlaw star episodes we see some flash backs of spoiler[gene staring at a space ship and thinking about going to space etc. however, as soon as he's in space, he shows no reaction carrying any emotional impact(being "spacesick" is no emotion).]

in bodacious(aka extreme/awesome/radical/random cool word) space pirates we actually get to feel that going out into space in a mere suit is actually a big deal for the cast. also the whole business with their flight preparations and so on just makes it feel so believable, especially if you're used to people jumping into spaceships and speeding off within a matter of seconds after the opening episode.
furthermore- i realize this may feel like the zillionth time someone mentioned it in the thread- any show that doesn't throw their "oh sooo cool and sympathetic" protagonist into a robot/spaceship to skillfully fight off some invaders and probably save the world(*cough*rinne no lagrangecough in the first episode and instead establishes some setting before going nuts, has a hundred points in my book.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
infiltration.cru wrote:
blablabla

gee, just realized how rational this must sound. screw that! this is a show about pirates! IN SPACE! and schoolgirls not being boring but instead AWESOME and BODACIOUS.

and jesus christ, the opener is probably the best thing in this god damn world, i mean Marty Friedman, formerly of the awesome Megadeth shreds on it, why isn't this mentioned at least 4 times every page?

haters be damned!
(let's still be friends though)

[EDIT: Please learn about the awesome grammatical invention that is capital letters. Their use is expected. - Key]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Is this show ever going to get around to some actual pirating? I was expecting brutal depravity, pirates burning down cities, shooting children, shoving people out of airlocks.

What do we get instead? A half hour of schoolgirls sitting around typing away at computers and spewing technobabble.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Expecting brutal depravity? Yeah, definitely won't find that here, even when Marika puts on the captain's hat.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Is this show ever going to get around to some actual pirating? I was expecting brutal depravity, pirates burning down cities, shooting children, shoving people out of airlocks.

What do we get instead? A half hour of schoolgirls sitting around typing away at computers and spewing technobabble.

You were expecting that? With a pink-haired schoolgirl as the lead? I certainly wasn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 27