• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Studios Voice Actress Revealed as IMDB Plaintiff

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The American Average

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
Boo-Hoo
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
Sounds like a completely frivolous lawsuit by a failing actress.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
Well suing a corporation isn't exactly the most subtle way to keep this sort of information under wraps...
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(English version)
Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 (TV) as Boomer Waitress; Cashier Boomer; Embarrased Customer
Compiler (OAV) as Upload
Compiler 2 (OAV)
Dirty Pair Flash (OAV) as Female Engineer (1); Female Student A (2); Monica
Galaxy Fraulein Yuna (OAV); Haruna
Galaxy Fraulein Yuna Returns (OAV) as Elina
Martian Successor Nadesico (TV); Child (ep 18); Eri; Japanese Teacher (ep 18)
Martian Successor Nadesico: The Motion Picture - Prince of Darkness as Eri Uemura; Jump Operator B; Takeshi
New Cutey Honey (OAV) as Light's Assistant (ep 4); Pokey (ep 5)
Princess Minerva (OAV) as Tua
Sorcerer Hunters (TV) as Lin
Spriggan (movie)
Street Fighter II V (TV) as Chun Li (ADV dub); Rinko (ADV dub)
(The) Super Dimension Fortress Macross (TV); Archivist (ep 13); Burger Girl (ep 20); Gossipy Girl B (ep 21); Operator Girl

Quote:
Hoang acted in the Dysfunctional Friends, Gingerdead Man 3: Saturday Night Cleaver, and The Custom Mary live-action films in 2011.

Yeah, with a resume like this, is it any wonder why she's not getting top tier work?
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quote
Gingerdead Man 3: Saturday Night Cleaver, LOL that's ace. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:57 am Reply with quote
Not saying that age discriminations doesn't happen in Hollywood, but if you are a good actor then age isn't a problem (Ok so you may not get the young romantic lead in a movie, but there are roles for people of all ages).
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote
However the case, age discrimination really is a problem in Hollywood and it can be a barrier to the kind of roles you can get. It may seem like sour grapes, but she could have a legitimate claim providing if she herself never disclosed such information and any request to have it removed was ignored (if filed). On the other hand, filing a $1M lawsuit for "potential earnings lost" with her sort of resume most certainly can work against her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raikuro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
050795 wrote:
Not saying that age discriminations doesn't happen in Hollywood, but if you are a good actor then age isn't a problem (Ok so you may not get the young romantic lead in a movie, but there are roles for people of all ages).

This.

If you're reaching middle-age, its time to start auditioning for middle-age parts. You can't keep trying to be a young starlet forever (unless you're a good voice actor, heh).
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote
So it's Amazon's fault for ruining her direct-to-DVD bargain bin career(at least for live action movies)? Sounds like her career didn't even attempt to take off.

As for her age, why not try to get over it? You don't see others whine as they get older. Sounds like she is whining about not getting roles for a 20 year old woman when she's really 40.

As for her VA career, that's not really a resume to be proud of.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote
Ah the peanut gallery is up to their antics again.
The woman has a resume but she shouldn't be proud of the work she's done...
IF she's a good actor her age might not be a problem...
lolz if a plaintiff isn't Jesus H Buddha Mahatma Gandhi people that have no connection to the case will drag a person's name threw the mud.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Ah the peanut gallery is up to their antics again.
The woman has a resume but she shouldn't be proud of the work she's done...
IF she's a good actor her age might not be a problem...
lolz if a plaintiff isn't Jesus H Buddha Mahatma Gandhi people that have no connection to the case will drag a person's name threw the mud.

I think the problem here is, she has a resume that is abit....lackluster. Going thru her VA work alone, you notice she's done mostly background characters and one-shot disposables. Not quite exactly stuff you should be proud of....or commit career suicide by filing a laughable lawsuit.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:07 am Reply with quote
The lawsuit seems to have hit a chord with other members of the acting community though.
Her film and VA work aren't even an issue in this case and in this thread is only used as ammo in a never ending barrage of fecal matter.

Why shouldn't she have pride in the work she did? Just because some hecklers piss in her credits doesn't mean she shouldn't be proud of what she has accomplished in her life.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:29 am Reply with quote
I don't think imdb should be gleaning info like that, but I can never really support these frivolous lawsuits, either. I agree that Hollywood is "ageist" to some extent and it can be harder to get good roles when you're not white, but she's been doing acting/voice overs since the 90s and her anime work is just small roles in mostly mediocre titles and her film/television work is just small roles in C-grade productions, at best. Not to be rude, but I doubt she's really going anywhere as far as acting goes.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:39 am Reply with quote
...after IMDb posted her age based on credit card information from her subscription to the IMDbPro service.

After reading that, my opinion of her odds of getting something from this lawsuit just went up.

That said, since when does ones credit card information include their age?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:08 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
...after IMDb posted her age based on credit card information from her subscription to the IMDbPro service.

After reading that, my opinion of her odds of getting something from this lawsuit just went up.

That said, since when does ones credit card information include their age?

https://www.chase.com/index.jsp?pg_name=ccpmapp/card_servicing/partner/page/home_aarp

Maybe it was an AARP credit card Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3