• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Waiting in the Summer (Ano Natsu de Matteru) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Can someone tell me what is supposed to happen in three years that Kaito will regret?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I think her point was that in three years, he'd be madly in love with her and then she'd make him pay.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I suspected that was the case -- good luck to her. I find her love-martyr role a bit tiresome, though.

Aside from that, someone in the Federation needs to review the programming specifications for their rescue pods. Those things act more like an enemy than any kind of rescuer. spoiler[Smashing the vehicle that the rescue target is riding in? Really? Then racking itself up while in pursuit? Must have been a low budget bit.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
After all the waiting, episode 12 is done, and series done (saying waiting was a poor attempt at a gag for yet another finished series). Well what do you think? I am not sure what I wanted, but I think it delivered, from the get go we were told about this being about a one summer that gave the spoiler[feeling it would end with seperation.] I think with the last oush, neither the characters or us the audience quite knew what we were expecting to find at the place, and it would seem it merely was a place which spoiler[held the memories of someone else who was there was in Ichika's shoes, can you guys tell me if there were paralells to Please Teacher?] And we ended up with a scene of them spoiler[saying that they would continue to love each other as Ichika was taken away,] a bit sad really.

Lets move away from the two main characters and get to the most important thing, which is Remon. And indeed despite it sounding like a joke spoiler[she is part of the Men In Black, with the other members running around in sterotypical attire, with the letters MIB on the side of rocket launchers. Unlike their movie they are good guys, with Tetsuro's brother in law also being a member, had nice little laugh when Tetsuro's sister was sent their not knowing why, and Kana's explanation of a stalker.] But right when it looks like we are going to fall into what would be a sad ending with Remon saying spoiler[she is transfering,] there is some hope. Remon now spoiler[works at a place that looks very much like the set of the MIB movies, yay Rinon is there and they are studying the ship, before long Earth have working intersteller travel.] And a final scene somewhere in the future of the movie our characters made is being shown, but what is this, spoiler[Ichika is wearing the thing Kaito's sister brough only after Ichika left.]

I would not call it my favourite J.C. anime, personally the characters were somewhat forgetable, the designs were somewhat meh, except perhaps some of the use of CG which I think was done fairly well. But it was a fun ride, some of what they set up felt like some series would drag it so far out (something J.C. Staff are infamous for), we got the characters issues, we got the vocalised with everyone finding out. Perhaps it was that they did not want to rely on exagerating characters, though again we had Remon, miss alien, and Rinon the mascot.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
A nice series that I did not regret watching.spoiler[ Remon in the MIB?] LOL, you go girl.

9/10 series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
stinknasty344

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Really liked the last episode.spoiler[ It was bitter-sweet kind of, and I think handled much better than anohana even though i love anohana].

I liked the characters, and I think the finale is just really good. I think it's excellent.
Barachem

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
The series was quite good until the last 2 eps.
Storywise the last 2 eps were great in building tension and enhancing the dramatic end. It's just that on a more logical sense the anime just flat out falls on its face.

spoiler[My beef is the whole drawn out and dramatic chase scene by the rescue pods and the whole tear-jerking part when Ichika was finally captured.
Honestly, weren't the aliens concerned NOT to REVEAL themselves to the native populace?
Was it such a drag to just silently come, put a lock down field over the earth to prevent Ichika from transporting and then when they'd be close enough, then to just transport her on one of their ships?
What would raise more suspicion: Several rescue pods chasing several people for kilometers on end for hours and being seen by many people or one teenage girl simply disappearing.
Furthermore, why is the whole alien rescue party anonymized?
Yeah yeah, i know, they're the "bad guys", but come on, that's really lame.
Furthermore, what's with not taking the crashed ship and Rinon with them?
Though i do understand Ichika being able to come back because the MiB did discover the alien ship and its tech.]

The end of the last episode was a nice touch and i like that it was done in a subtle way.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I think with the last oush, neither the characters or us the audience quite knew what we were expecting to find at the place, and it would seem it merely was a place which spoiler[held the memories of someone else who was there was in Ichika's shoes, can you guys tell me if there were paralells to Please Teacher?]

It wasn't just parallels, this series is now confirmed as being a sequel to Please Teacher. The voice that spoke when Ichika was ascending into space was the voice (same Seiyuu) of the alien in Please Teacher (whom Ichika looks exactly like). The human that the voice says loved her was of course the lead male character in Please Teacher. It turns out the lake was in Ichika's memories (and in the memories of her sister) because they are descended from the Please Teacher alien and apparently aliens can transmit memories through DNA.

This series never felt amazing to me but it always felt solid, it deserves a rating of Good and that's what I'm going to give it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It wasn't just parallels, this series is now confirmed as being a sequel to Please Teacher. The voice that spoke when Ichika was ascending into space was the voice (same Seiyuu) of the alien in Please Teacher (whom Ichika looks exactly like). The human that the voice says loved her was of course the lead male character in Please Teacher. It turns out the lake was in Ichika's memories (and in the memories of her sister) because they are descended from the Please Teacher alien and apparently aliens can transmit memories through DNA.

Good to know that there is a little something there for the Please Teacher fans.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:59 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Good to know that there is a little something there for the Please Teacher fans.

I'm not a fan of Please Teacher - I've never seen it for one thing - but touches like that are pretty neat.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:15 am Reply with quote
All in all I thought the series was wrapped up pretty well. My only objections are the pukish train ride and the 'you can't mingle with the locals' edict, which I feel was pretty myopic for an advanced race capable of interstellar travel...they should be well aware that the human brain itself hasn't changed all that much since homo-neanderthalus/erectus/ergaster and that the basis for our mind's apparent (and it is predominantly an appearance) advancement is rather the technos we compile external to ourselves...yeah, I'm going to save that lecture. It's a love story right? What should I expect?

Lemon-san was hardcore, probably my favorite character. I figured she knew what was up from the get-go, spoiler[so having her 'MIB' toys and troops coming out] was pretty cool by me. spoiler[How do you go wrong with a missile-launching, transforming van mecha]?
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Actually I just realized that this whole story may be third time it's been played out, based on facts from OT.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Wanted to see it enough that I went ahead and downloaded it early.

dtm42 wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
I think with the last oush, neither the characters or us the audience quite knew what we were expecting to find at the place, and it would seem it merely was a place which spoiler[held the memories of someone else who was there was in Ichika's shoes, can you guys tell me if there were paralells to Please Teacher?]

This series never felt amazing to me but it always felt solid, it deserves a rating of Good and that's what I'm going to give it.

I wouldn't say it's a direct confirmation, too much simply doesn't make sense. The fact that it is the same VA is probably just the same thing that all the rest is- playing with the audience. It's a double reference, the fact that someone else had the same experience in this show is merely an allusion that there was a show with the same situation in it.

The two do end similarly though.
PLEASE TEACHER ENDING SPOILERS: spoiler[In that show Mizuho (Teacher) is similarly forced to return home and censured for making too close contact with a developing civilization, but it is Kei and friends who have their memories wiped.] The image of Ichika in her spoiler[Baja or Sarape or whatever] seems to hint at the same thing that happens in Teacher, spoiler[ after being taken away, her family surreptitiously smuggles her back to Earth, where she presumably lives her life (Kei's bond being so strong that when he see her again he regains his memory instantly) or at the least, through Please Twins.]

This can be seen as completely separate series that reworks the situation in the original.

In the end, this felt a lot more "natural." In her Stream critiques, Bamboo Dong has a valid point that this barely needs to be a sci-fi story, the story would work as well or maybe even better if Ichika was just a run-away or exchange student from far away and being forced to return home by her family at the end. But the elimination of everything but the relationship drama means that Please Teacher had a lot more going on but still got the relationship drama dealt with very sufficiently. In fact, PT included another key supporting character to even better resolve everyone's relationship problems.

So, I guess I prefer Please Teacher even though it feels a bit more silly, has a bit more focus on fan service and the "naughty" aspects of the romances (people have sex), and is stuffed with the then trendy taboo of teens in relationships with mature adults.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
"I'd welcome you." Laughing Oh Mio, you sweet nudist, you're just lovely. I give it a Good even though I was never particularly enamoured with the leads. Remon and Mio more than made up them though. Sentai has licensed this but I'd say the odds of me ever buying or rewatching this are slim to none, with an emphasis on the latter.
MeganeKun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
Ano Natsu has to have been one of my favorite series now.spoiler[ Everyone was so direct with each other(even if others took a little while).]
Here's a AMV I made. If you enjoy it, please subscribe. =]
WARNING: Contains VERY MINIMAL SPOILERS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPOvQQ1BIvs&feature=plcp&context=C4807038VDvjVQa1PpcFM6r2IQxlTfjkbndQl0GIDWzGefqc41xSA%3D
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9