• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yu Yu Hakusho: The Movie & Eizou Hakusho DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any interest in the OVAs, but I want to see that movie!
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
This was a pretty good review all things said. Honestly, I often find myself at odds with the reviews of some titles here, but Carl's thoughts on this were pretty much verbatim my own. Though I'd call 'of little interest to non-fans' kind of a 'duh' moment. Razz

The new animation in the opening/ending encyclopedia definitely is the highlight of the set, especially since some of it was sorta gleaned from the end of the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
now all we need is the second movie dubbed by the FUNi cast and we'll have a complete set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Calling it a movie is a bit of a stretch since it's only twenty-five minutes long

Boy I'll say. Anime hyper
barrelroller

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I bought it for the sole purpose of completing my YYH collection. The dub gave me a good bit of nostalgia. Seems like it didn't take them long to get back into character as all of them seemed spot on.

The movie is short, and the OVAs (especially the never ending dream) are pretty amusing, but it's hard to recommend. If you see it for $10, grab it, if not, wait for it to drop in price.
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Mmmh... the movie was okay and nothing more in my case. I think the OVAs were actually based on YuYu's last manga chapters which weren't in the TV series, but nothing shocking happens. It's cool nevertheless.
mannyperson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Yup, in general, if you're not a hard-core fan, you're not really going to be interested in this. I personally really wouldn't even recommend it for people to try out the series. The movie's okay, but not worth the purchase of the entire set. I do have to say that I was highly amused by the songs, despite the fact that they remained undubbed.
Botan24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the movie: I found myself thinking, "Huh, this looks pretty cool. I don't recall the animation being this good looking."
Quote:
It's a fun little film, focused less on its breezily disposable story than on having fun with its theatrical budget.

Ah, that's it then. It amazing what a little money can do.
Quote:
Yusuke's rescue of Koenma is mostly just an excuse for the camera to follow him and his allies as they dash, leap and brawl their way through a variety of settings and enemies....It's fun just to watch; the fact that it has the humor, carefree sense of adventure, and even some of the intensity of the series at large is pure gravy.

^Agreed. Although, I wish the movie was longer.

I'm glad Funimation dubbed the never ending nightmare of Yusuke's and the "encyclopedia" extras. Both of which were just as entertaining as the movie. It was fun to hear everyone hamming it up in their usual roles.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
Funi just needs to dub Bonds of Fire (the best anime movie ever) and everything's all set.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:03 am Reply with quote
I'm glad FUNi put this out, but I bet if Justin Cook, one of the top people at FUNi, wasn't a huge fan of the show (it seemed to be his "special project" 10 years ago), we MIGHT see the movie at most. But lucky for fans of the series, that's not the case! They even make an effort to bring back the entire original voice cast (including Kayzie Buckly! Wut? How'd they get her?), yet for their recent "Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubies" rush dub, we got an astounding TWO people back! I haven't seen the new English dub of "The Golden Seal" (I've seen the old Media Blasters/Animaze one a few times though), but I've been hearing good things about it. I'll definitely be adding this to my YYH collection in due time.

BTW FUNi, the REAL treat would be the "other" Yu Yu Hakusho movie (the one that's over 90 minutes long). Where's THAT? Central Park Media put it up for liquidation almost two years ago (I didn't even know MB lost the license to The Golden Seal). It should be practically up for the taking! It needs a redub badly! The old Animaze Golden Seal English dub was decent, but the old CPM dub of Poltergeist Report was just plain discussing. I could barely even finish it, even though the movie itself was very good!
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
The series cast dubbing the movie is great. I hadn't purchased it previously since they had a different cast doing the voice work which felt rather odd since I watched the series first. Now, I can finally complete Yu Yu Hakusho collection. Very Happy
Parvati-IV

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I agree, I want movie 2, Funi! Then we can finally have a new, complete collection of YYH from one publisher... the CPM DVD looks pretty sad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1