• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What do you think about downloading Anime and Mangas?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghoti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:57 am Reply with quote
Hi everyone!

This topic came into my mind after reading few forums. Most of people here talk about original, licensed DVD and VHS. Generally let's call it 'legal' stuff.
If you just take a quick look at KaZaa or eDonkey or any other p2p program, you can find almost all anime ever produced. People share whole sereies and nobody cares. Frankly I come from Poland (some people may disagree with me at this point) and geting good anime, the titles I want, is rather hard. There arent many distributors in Poland of either mangas or anime (I know, I know if someone's Polish they will mention RAR in Cracow, PlanetManga or J.P.Fantastica), but in total I end up with something like 3 distributors and the same number of so to say 'licensed' shops. In local bookstores you can only get Kawaii (a fan magazine, cool I must say:)), MangaMix, Dr.Slump, DragonBall, Oh! My Godess and maybe 2 othe titles; whereas being in Germany (05 Aug 2002, still there :))) I walked into a small bookstore and immediately noticed like 15 mangas plus artzines and stuff. I'm not even mentioning anime 'coz getting them, as for the city where I live, is only available per mail. Geneally something moved in the comic book industry (hell of a lot comics of super quality), but I don't see any new mangas!!
Anyway, after stating the situation, I go to the conclusion of this gibberish: as for a fan the only means of getting an anime is paying A LOT (wages in Poland are soo small and b'sides I'm still a student), or getting it from a friend or just to download.
Hence: I download, therfore I live....
Well and it sucks 'coz, sometimes (often) the DL files lack quality and have many annoing tag incorporated.
If somebody asks whether ANY anime appeard on, so called open market, I can mention only Mononoke-hime, few tapes with DBZ and Sailor Moon.... ah, and there is also Pokemon. :)
And that's all... and here comes the dilema pay up or download... and it sucks...

Greets to everyone!

(thanks for any responses)
Vicious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:54 am Reply with quote
I'll admit to having done it and that I will do it again in the future, though I won't make any excuses or false justifications for it. I suppose if it were a older series or a title like that show about Go that have almost no chance of being lisceanced or if you live in a country where anime's not popular there'd be a argument for it, but when I for example watched Hellsing knowing full well that it would be lisceanced(I believe it even has Pioneer US in the credits) there's really no excusing it.

And that's what the majority of the things you'd find on things Kazaa or Direct Connect are-either newer shows that for some reason people take their time to translate for free when it'll be picked up in two months anyway or downright rips of lisceanced copies.

Can I expand this thread with a little poll...do you or don't you download anime? I'm curious how many people here do.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 7:21 am Reply with quote
I've been talking about this on a few forums....and probably lost a few "friends" over it (though, these people probably weren't good friends to begin with...). I'm not really going to touch on the Poland/non-US thing because I really don't know much about licensing and how things work. So this is just about people in the US.

I hatehatehatehate when people download licensed anime. I can be a little lenient and forgive one or two "trial" episodes, but the people who download the entire series, especially with no intention of purchasing said title legally, are on my [enter whatever expletive you wish] list. Companies need to recoup the money they spent on licensing the title and bringing it over here....downloading it isn't helping them. Which means they won't be able to afford to bring other titles over. So, while someone may think "oh, it's not hurting anyone." WRONG. It's hurting the entire anime community. Especially since we're not talking one or two loners....we're talking tons of people. (I know on the ONE forum I was arguing this topic...there were at least 6 people that download licensed anime. Now if we multiply that a few times...that's a LOT of people.)

I don't care if he makes me unpopular with people. It's illegal, it's unethical and it was the potential of stopping more anime from coming over here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ghoti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 9:14 am Reply with quote
Well, Cassandra I fully agree with you, although I've downloaded some anime from the net. Mainly these that are not having any slightest chances of going to appear on the Polish market (wow, what a sentence:)). Basicly: if I have opportunities I buy, when I don't I download. Well the truth is that I have only bought Akira and GitS, while being on a trip to UK, and Armitage III and Mononoke-hime in Poland.
Leaving the money/income question out of the way (wages in Poland suck!), I only focus on accesibility. It almost impossible to get eg. Ursei Yatsura or Berserk in Poland. Well, I agree that it weakens the producers, the resellers and all the guys that import and translate anime, but in my case - how could I watch Lain without internet? I think only on pictures in colour anime magazines. Sad but true, and it sucks.
Oh, and there is a lot of fuss in Poland about licensing stuff (audio CDs, games, films) so if anyone wants to get something new eg a game, he try to get in connection with someone from Russian and get it illegaly or to download it, but whereas the CDs and games are available in stores, the anime aren't! And that is the main difference.
Ah.. I just have to add this - a game PC in Poland costs about 150-200PLN and an average sallary is about 1000-1600PLN. Cut down the sallary by monthly payments, buy a game and live a whole month on bread and water...
Sigh.. Reality bites...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 9:38 am Reply with quote
ghoti wrote:

Ah.. I just have to add this - a game PC in Poland costs about 150-200PLN and an average sallary is about 1000-1600PLN.

Average Monthly, weekly or annual salary?
Cgoten

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Vicious wrote:

Can I expand this thread with a little poll...do you or don't you download anime? I'm curious how many people here do.

Once in a while I download a few episodes of a series just to see if I like it so it's not a waste of my money to buy the DVD and find out that it sucks. I have 5 episodes of Inu-Yasha on my computer but I have every intension to buy the DVDs. The only show I've never bought that I downloaded an episode of was the Rurouni Kenshin OVA, but I'll probably get it sometime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
legitballa13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I typically download the first 4 episodes or so of a series if I'm not sure I want to pick it up. Then I delete them if I don't like them or when I buy the series.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I admit I download my share of Divx's... although they're usually old TV shows like MST3k, Beavis and Butthead, or Invader Zim. The only digisub I can remember downloading recently was the first episode of Love Hina Again, which I promptly deleted once it reminded me of why I hated Love Hina in the first place.

Personally, I'd like for these digisubbers to stop wasting their time on these new shows WITH US COMPANIES IN THE FRIGGIN' CREDITS and concentrate on the older, more obscure stuff that has literally no chance in Hades of ever coming back. They just released a nice Ribon no Kishi DVD set in Japan; some of us Tezuka fans would really like to see that. Other older shoujo stuff, like Rose of Versailles, would be groovy also. If that's too old, there are dozens of titles that were licensed by small companies in the 80s that have since folded and their rights expired - I've been dying to see a subtitled version of Locke the Superman or Neo-Tokyo for quite some time.

Of course, this will NEVER happen, since digisubbers are dirty thieves and they want the newest shows straight from Japan and they want them nownownowNOW. Who wants to bet we'll be seeing the first episode of the new GiTS series mere hours after it's Japanese debut?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ghoti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Tempest asked: Average Monthly, weekly or annual salary?

That's an average monthly. My parrents earn something below that. Just don't think that I'm very poor or anything, but a lot people in Poland earn below the national average.
Anyway it's all about anime and not the income in Poland...

^_^

I dream of buying Di Gi Charat all episodes box, Japanese, English subs.... ahhh... that's a beautiful dream-nyo... :)

Anyway as Terry Pratchet wrote in one of his Discworld novels:

Chances one in a million happen nine times out of ten.

[/quote]
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 5:18 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

I've been dying to see a subtitled version of Locke the Superman or Neo-Tokyo for quite some time.

Locke and (I think) Neo-Tokyo have been in the released in the States for sometime. ^^;;;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ramen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I went through my downloading phase, but I got better Wink Fansubs and fanscans are illegal bootlegs, but I have to say that I do think they did their part to help bring anime to the US. I saw many titles as fansubs and without fanscans I would not have been able to read the Rurouni Kenshin manga. However, it is really questionable weather they are of any use anymore. With the amount of anime being licenced, do we really need fansubs anymore? It even seems like manga is starting to become more popular in the US market, so fanscans my be in the same boat.

If there is basically no chance of a title being licenced, then I an not really against fansubs and fanscans. I'm one of those who will get a fansub, but buy the legit version if it comes out (Where is my Gunbuster!) What I am against are bootlegers who do it for profit. Bootleg DVDs fall into this catagory. In my experience, the fansubs that are done by those who actually respect the work and do it for the love of anime are better than those dvd's anyway.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:16 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:

Locke and (I think) Neo-Tokyo have been in the released in the States for sometime. ^^;;;

Notice I said "subtitled." The groove-tacular Locke the Superman movie was made available in a really terrible EP tape with a horrible dub by some company that no longer exists, and tracking down a copy of said tape is quite difficult. Neo-Tokyo was released by Streamline, so there obviously never was a subtitled release and Streamline has also since folded. The dub tapes pop up on eBay every now and then, though (never at an opportunity when I have money to blow, of course... ^_^)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ender Wiggin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I downloaded them so i could take screencaps and make my wall full of my favorite Tenchi and Outlaw Star scenes. Is this bad/unacceptable/[....] listable?

I bought the DVD's after downloading them, and decided to take them and rip them to my computer so because DVD technology takes the video directly to the Video card and bypasses everything else, making them uncapturable. Again, i'd like to know how acceptable this practice is.

And university printing is 10 color pages per day for free. God Bless USF!
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 1:28 am Reply with quote
Mr. Wiggins;

That is a REALLY ULTRA WAY-COOL IDEA.

Mind if I steal your idea?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:49 am Reply with quote
Ender Wiggin wrote:

I downloaded them so i could take screencaps and make my wall full of my favorite Tenchi and Outlaw Star scenes. Is this bad/unacceptable/[....] listable?

In pure legal terms it is still illegal.

You see, you bought a video, so you have video rights, but you have no rights to a wall poster with that. A wall poster is an entirely seperate item and seperate copyright that you have in fact infringed upon by printing out your own posters from the DVD.

However, in the real world, not very many people would fault you for your actions, including, I assume, the people that produce Outlaw Star. Obviously they hope more people will buy posters than print them out themselves, but it's very unlikely that they would be bothered by the knowledge that some fans are doing that (as long as it is for personal enjoyment and not resale).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5