• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: RightStuf: Heaven's Lost Property Forte Gets DVD-Only Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
superdry wrote:
Asking why it's seemingly ok for shows to come out earlier in Taiwan than the US.

This will sound crazy considering how most Americans probably view Taiwan when compared to the US, but I don't think the US market is willing to pay Taiwan prices for anime. Their release format is almost identical to Japan but it's like $20-$30 per BD volume, making a 13 episode 6 volume release $120-$180.

Maybe that increase in price combined with the idea that Americans just don't value anime is enough to warrant them getting it earlier than us.

But, without the fear of reverse importation? Cheap anime is still cheap anime to someone in Japan who wants to save money...unless importing from Taiwan is less of an occurrence than importing from the US (King of Harts brought up the good point of using R1 releases as an English learning aid).
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Somewhat of an off-topic, but semi-related question.

I'm somewhat new to the whole US BD/DVD scene as I usually just import straight from Japan if I have the cash. So, what is the deal with these 'combo/hybrid' box set things consisting of DVDs and BDs?

Just hear me out. If I already have the capability to watch BDs, why would I want to watch the lower quality DVDs? And for those who can only watch DVDs, the BDs will be nothing more than useless extras. I'd prefer separate releases so I needn't pay for that extra DVD or BD discs...

I like them because I can watch the BD on my PS3 and give the DVD to my friend, so we can watch the show at the same time (usually I watch it first then give it to him).
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I cancelled my pre-order shortly after word trickled in. I was looking forward to HLP Forte too but I have sworn off DVD-only releases (unless the company is Nozomi) so this was an absolute no brainer for me. This simply unacceptable.

This does not inspire much confidence or trust in Funimation for future titles.
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
So, what is the deal with these 'combo/hybrid' box set things consisting of DVDs and BDs?
The company, FUNimation in this case, saves money selling it like that. Since everybody doesn't own a HD television and a Blu-ray Disc player (or even a PS3 for that matter), stand-alone BD releases rarely sell as well as stand-alone DVD releases.

To combat this, some companies have started to offer the "DVD/Blu-ray Combo Pack" which still caters to the existing monolith, that is the DVD market, while tapping the budding Blu-ray market by giving the consumer the option to see their products in HD.

In the long run, companies will save money since they won't have to buy special packaging for the BDs and they can market the products universally to both DVD and BD watchers; meanwhile, consumers will save money since they won't need to double-dip on products if/when said consumer decides to upgrade to HD in the future.

In short: Everybody wins!Very Happy

Whew! My 100th post was quite a mouthful, huh.Razz
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
No boobies, lolicon, or panties in HD for ya'll who wanted it :3
lol, just had to say it when I saw this!
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I hope they eventually do put it out on BD, I have patience, I'll wait. Glad I didn't pre-order it at RightStuf during their current funi sale.
Eri94

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Order canceled. 5$ off is not what blu ray cost to get rid of. If It's dvd only, I expect this set cost to be almost halved. This is bullshit.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
Order canceled. 5$ off is not what blu ray cost to get rid of. If It's dvd only, I expect this set cost to be almost halved. This is bullshit.

$5 sounds about right in terms of how much the BD adds to the cost of the release. They save a lot in distribution costs in having one SKU rather than two, they also save in not having to make separate guesses about DVD demand and BD demand, and they especially save in returns from B&M in not having to ship out BD and DVD and take returns on whichever didn't sell (while possibly at the same time losing sales from the one that may have sold out).

And the dubbing and subtitling costs are obviously the same no matter what kind of media are in the box. The majority of the cost is localization and royalties, not physical production costs.

Obviously its your prerogative to cancel your order if you wanted a BD, but I think its unrealistic to expect the set to be discounted by more than the cost savings of leaving the BD out.

mangamuscle wrote:
... little by little the USA becomes a third world country.

True, but of no clear relevance to this particular article.

Actar wrote:
Somewhat of an off-topic, but semi-related question.

I'm somewhat new to the whole US BD/DVD scene as I usually just import straight from Japan if I have the cash. So, what is the deal with these 'combo/hybrid' box set things consisting of DVDs and BDs?

Just hear me out. If I already have the capability to watch BDs, why would I want to watch the lower quality DVDs? And for those who can only watch DVDs, the BDs will be nothing more than useless extras. I'd prefer separate releases so I needn't pay for that extra DVD or BD discs...

For those who do not have BD players, the BD's are future-proofing the collection ~ if you get a BD player in another year or two, you'll be set.

For those who have a BD player, the DVD's are useful to travel with if you have a laptop with DVD or netbook with external DVD or a portable DVD player, and its easier to handbrake a DVD for files to watch on a media tablet or smartphone. And as already mentioned, some people will feel safer lending out the DVD's than the BD's.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
I recall some Funi suit saying a BD would cost them about $10 and that to incentive the combo they would only pass on half of that cost but the costs of their combo sets seem like the extra cost of having a BD is more than 5 bucks. Yes, I know it is pure speculation.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote
Dumnerd wrote:
Actar wrote:
So, what is the deal with these 'combo/hybrid' box set things consisting of DVDs and BDs?
The company, FUNimation in this case, saves money selling it like that. Since everybody doesn't own a HD television and a Blu-ray Disc player (or even a PS3 for that matter), stand-alone BD releases rarely sell as well as stand-alone DVD releases.

To combat this, some companies have started to offer the "DVD/Blu-ray Combo Pack" which still caters to the existing monolith, that is the DVD market, while tapping the budding Blu-ray market by giving the consumer the option to see their products in HD.

you are right now everyone knows a Blu-ray + HDTV, but Otuka and anime fans are not your average people. Anime fans are early adopters of bluray. Normally DVD movie will outsell a Bluray movie. Anime is another story. the Bluray version almost always out sell the dvd version. People don't even want the dvd anime anymore. For some anime, the bluray sold like 50k, dvd version sold 1k. lol

with that, i wonder how many people really preordered, then canceled. I'm pretty sure some people didn't preordered, still say they will cancel it. lol
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:03 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Dumnerd wrote:
Actar wrote:

you are right now everyone knows a Blu-ray + HDTV, but Otuka and anime fans are not your average people. Anime fans are early adopters of bluray. Normally DVD movie will outsell a Bluray movie. Anime is another story. the Bluray version almost always out sell the dvd version. People don't even want the dvd anime anymore.
For some anime, the bluray sold like 50k, dvd version sold 1k. lol

That's definitely true in Japan, but probably less so. Sentai has mentioned that some of their DVD titles have outsold their blu-ray counterpart. I don't know about Funi since their mention of sales is more vague.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Oh Japan, your Xenophobia will do you in yet.

It has nothing to do with xenophobia, and more has to do with making sure that the Japanese aren't able to import cheap anime. This hurts the Japanese anime fans wanting a cheap boxset, too.

The Japanese anime industry isn't the only one doing this, BTW. Also the American drug industry, for example.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm glad that I haven't ordered it yet. I was going to order it with the current Right Stuf sale. But no Blu-ray? Not a chance. Not when the first season was released on Blu-ray and they already solicited a Blu-ray. I'll just wait for them to actually release it on Blu-ray. It sucks to miss out on the limited edition this way, but I can't afford to be double dipping just for the extras that come with the limited edition.

Of course, they originally solicited Nabari no Ou with a Blu-ray, and after they canceled that, there's been no sign of it ever coming out on Blu-ray. The same goes for D.Gray-man (it was incredibly weird of them to start releasing D.Gray-man on Blu-ray and then stop). So I suppose that there's a definite risk of not being able to get it. But I can wait a year or three for a Blu-ray release, much as I don't want to.
metroid24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:33 am Reply with quote
well that kinda sucks im more mad that they pushed strike witches back from febuary to september but as for forte i just got the 1st season of that this week along with sekerei season 2 and rosario vampire so ill wait til the bluray bundle comes out ill try to be patient
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote
In a way, this is actually a GOOD thing.

Why? Because 1) most TV anime are not done to take full advantage of HDTV resolution (remember, the FUNi Fairy Tail and Sekirei: Pure Engagement are "scaled up" to 1080p resolution) and 2) FUNi has this really bad habit of using too-small white-colored lettering for subtitles for Blu-ray releases, which makes them hard to read even on a 55-60" flatscreen TV. I actually had to watch Sekirei: Pure Engagement on the DVD version, because at least the subtitles are readable on the DVD version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5