• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: RightStuf: Heaven's Lost Property Forte Gets DVD-Only Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
superdry wrote:
Asking why it's seemingly ok for shows to come out earlier in Taiwan than the US.

This will sound crazy considering how most Americans probably view Taiwan when compared to the US, but I don't think the US market is willing to pay Taiwan prices for anime. Their release format is almost identical to Japan but it's like $20-$30 per BD volume, making a 13 episode 6 volume release $120-$180.

Maybe that increase in price combined with the idea that Americans just don't value anime is enough to warrant them getting it earlier than us.

But, without the fear of reverse importation? Cheap anime is still cheap anime to someone in Japan who wants to save money...unless importing from Taiwan is less of an occurrence than importing from the US (King of Harts brought up the good point of using R1 releases as an English learning aid).

Reverse importation is still a fear (although I question what percentage of sales are lost from it) but the higher the price the less of a fear it becomes and the earlier they might be willing to hand over the rights.

When you've tapped out the buying market in Japan for people paying $70 a volume, you'd probably want to goto the $30 per volume market long before the $50 for the whole series market.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
I went ahead and bought it as I know someone will merge the release in Japan with this release online so I can get it that way and still have the set for the collection.

I would probably prefer a delay though just so the collection matches the original. A shame.
V1046-R

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Good thing I read this before buying season one. I've seen this show already in Hulu, so why bother buying a subpar release?

DVD, lol. Welcome to the 1990's.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
The 90's were actually primarily VHS (with early 90's being LD and VHS). And considering DVD still outsells the BD market in the USA (by quite a large margin too), it's much more appropriate to deem it as a current media rather than something of the 90's.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
DVD on anime is out dated and horrendous
remember, most people who watch anime (and actually buy it) are usually tech geeks and first adopters.
think beta max, laser disc, UMD, etc.

the common public does still purchase more DVDs but they mostly buy disney or hollywood blockbusters or rent.

making the move to bluray is the correct decision and this is a sad turn of events that a release was canceled.

I really hope the same thing doesnt happen to baka test second season, because that is the bluray I am most anticipating this year.

I will now pass on sora otoshimono just like I passed on rosario vampire. I have a nice modern TV and a high end PC. I seriously detest deinterlacing and artifacts showing up on screen.

just for reference I bought 4 Bluray shows this past winter from Sentai film works and a few from bandai (k-on, haruhi movie).
I picked up FLCL from funimation as a gift for someone else, I think they are on the right track with the budget titles. This is now a step backwards, though.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
remember, most people who watch anime (and actually buy it) are usually tech geeks and first adopters.

Are you trying supporting the BD cause or undermining it with those examples. Those are some of the prime reasons I scoff at early adopters that jump fickley jump from tech to tech every 6months just so they can say they got in on the ground floor.

Last edited by ArsenicSteel on Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:35 am Reply with quote
Besides that, last time I checked, the plot, characters, and so forth of an anime series remain exactly the same whether you're watching in 480p or 1080p. I can understand wanting the most high-quality experience possible based on the original show artwork, but the crazy videophile "BD or nothing" position has never truly made sense to me. Like, are you watching the show for the resolution it's presented in, or for its actual content?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Besides that, last time I checked, the plot, characters, and so forth of an anime series remain exactly the same whether you're watching in 480p or 1080p. I can understand wanting the most high-quality experience possible based on the original show artwork, but the crazy videophile "BD or nothing" position has never truly made sense to me. Like, are you watching the show for the resolution it's presented in, or for its actual content?

For some, audio and visual quality are very important factors in an audio-visual medium.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Those some being eagles, owls, dogs, bats, and dolphins.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Nonsense.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Besides that, last time I checked, the plot, characters, and so forth of an anime series remain exactly the same whether you're watching in 480p or 1080p.

I read a comment somewhere recently
it was made by a japanese guy on a forum in regards to bandai closing

one of the jokes he was making is that americans pirate videos because they are fine with watching 480p videos on youtube

nothing wrong with youtube but alot of people dont understand resolution. What alot of 'streaming' video sites do, even crunchyroll, is they CROP the show and then zoom in. what this does is allow a lower resolution but the picture still looks very sharp. Of course, if no one told you, you would never know 10% of your video was missing. you can only do this when downscaling, if you upscaled to HD content you get alot of blur or other issues as most people who play old DVDs on 1080p LCDs come to find out which is another reason why I hate DVDs.

anyway, I love crunchyroll and they dont do that on their main website only to certain devices such as maybe roku or android. Personally I purchased two rokus (gave one to my sister) and have crunchyroll on an iphone and an old android phone so i know alot about what they do differently on each device. now that is getting off topic so I'll put it aside.

so back to your question, This is my opinion
Anime is not about a 'story' it is about an 'experience'

do you prefer to watch harry potter on DVD? or is it more exciting in a theater? Do you like to read black and white manga without sound or do you prefer a video with voices and music?

DVD is outdated, period.
It offers nothing that bluray can't do better.
I personally don't care so much about the resolution as I do the interlacing.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:17 am Reply with quote
Dang I had to cancel my order, I'd much rather wait a bit longer for a potential BR release. If it looks like Funi won't release this on BR then I'll pick up the DVD, but I'm going to have to hold out until a bit later.
N.R.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Sacto0562 wrote:
In a way, this is actually a GOOD thing.

Why? Because 1) most TV anime are not done to take full advantage of HDTV resolution (remember, the FUNi Fairy Tail and Sekirei: Pure Engagement are "scaled up" to 1080p resolution) and 2) FUNi has this really bad habit of using too-small white-colored lettering for subtitles for Blu-ray releases, which makes them hard to read even on a 55-60" flatscreen TV. I actually had to watch Sekirei: Pure Engagement on the DVD version, because at least the subtitles are readable on the DVD version.

Wow, so many wrong assumptions in one paragraph. Let me disprove these for you:

1) Most TV anime ARE made to take full advantage of HDTV resolution. Almost every anime since 2008 supports HD or Full HD.
Moreover, an SD upscaled BD is still much better than a DVD in every aspect. DVD is a redundant format.

2) FUNimation doesn't have a subtitle standard. FUNimation change the size and color for each release. The project manager and those who produce the subtitles for that specific title are those who decide how the subtitles look like. My FLCL BD subtitles looks very sharp and can be read easily while my Ouran BD subtitles are illegible. To make it even more confusing their DVDs also don't have a standard because some of them are made by FUNimation in-house while others use subtitles from earlier distributors (classics rescued from Geneon or ADV for example).
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

the common public does still purchase more DVDs but they mostly buy disney or hollywood blockbusters or rent.

So the theory here, based on this view of what all anime "physical media buyers" are like, predicts that the majority of anime purchases on physical media are BD.

However, the majority of anime purchases on physical media in the US are DVDs.

This sounds like the economist who declared, "well, it may work in practice, but I don't believe that it will work in theory". For most people, when the theory and the observation disagree, its the theory that has to give way.

The theory could well be true for Japan, since according to information recently posted on ANN, in Japan BD sales have moved past DVD sales for anime, even though BD is not yet a majority of for the entire physical media market.
N.R.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
However, the majority of anime purchases on physical media in the US are DVDs.

Sadly you are right. DVD still sells more than BD in the U.S.
However, If I may say so myself, this stems not only from the fact that more people prefer to buy anime on DVD, but also from the fact that most of the anime in the U.S. is not distributed on Blu-ray in the first place (the opposite of what's happening in Japan today). Frankly, only FUNimation and Sentai are releasing Blu-rays on a regular basis. Aniplex releases BDs on an irregular basis, and so did Bandai until recently. The other distributors - Viz, Media Blasters, NIS and Nozomi - have a "no Blu-ray policy".
So let me ask you this: don't you think the percentage of those who buy anime on Blu-ray will go up if releases of anime on Blu-ray will become more common? I believe the anime Blu-ray market in the U.S. could grow exponentially but isn't given a chance at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5