• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sengoku Collection (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote
Sengoku Collection

ANN Encyclopedia wrote:
Plot Summary:In a timeline different from our own, the generals of the Warring States period, vie for power. But they're the same generals we know in name only: their appearance, personality, and gender are all different. One day, first Oda Nobunaga and then all the others are transported to our world. Everything is new to them - bicycles, cell phones, automatic doors. Each episode focuses on one general and how she learns to adapt to the modern world.

A bit late to have one of these threads now, when we are quite far into the season, but I just thought I would throw it in there. Now it did look pretty bad at first, boring old 'fantasy girl falls out of the sky', but it quickly went out of fantasy girlfriend. It has actually been rather episodic in stories, but I have actually rather enjoyed quite a few of the stories.

So far we have had: A girl who wants to be an idol, and she had to spoiler[hear the dark truth from he hero about the fleeting career from her hero.] Two girls (with yurish relations), one being a model, the other spoiler[trying to adjust to what her purpose may be, and her colour blindness).] A busty lady being put in spoiler[jail because she was naive enough to be tricked by criminals, she escapes and gets her vengence.] An episode that addressed its own genre about fasination with samurai, spoiler[tried to tie it off with being more about the honor.] A story about an inventor, and what might be important. A story about a poet and her suden life at a run down hotel, rather one of my favourites for some character. And story which equates to something along the lines of if Alice in Wonderland and a little bit ofWizard of Oz smashed into some japanese fairy tales that I do not recognise (with lots of rice).

Oh, and I love the opening song, I find it really catchy and fun.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:11 am Reply with quote
I was hoping to find a thread for this right after the latest episode had come out so I could say "NOBUNAGA IS BACK!!!!!!"(I'd forgotten about her appearance in episode seven), but then I remembered I'd looked for one the week before and hadn't found one. I honestly thought about starting one, but had nothing more to say. With that out of the way, comment tiemz!

The first episode really seem to sell the idea that Miss Oda really was a Sengoku warlord, but the second just fell flat in that respect. We have a person who persecuted the Kirishitans, restricted movement, seized the peasantry's weapons and sealed off Japan for the sake of consolidating power and we're expected she wants to be a pop idol? One of these things is not like the others...

The third episode did a good job representing the conflict between going back and staying. The color blindness was an interesting way to show Kanetsugu's inability to see any value in a peaceful life(not sure what's with the wings, though - nothing on the Wikipedia page seems to jive with that). I was about to drop the series before this episode came out; thankfully I ended up liking the yuri goodness enough to hang on for episode four, which thoroughly demolished my pet theory that the show would actually be about Nobunaga spoiler[coming to terms with modern Japan and deciding to stay] - and then she disappeared for two episodes.

For episode five, did anybody have any doubt what was going to happen the instant Bokuden agreed to an interview with Mr. Morse? She does raise some mighty good points, though. All I have to say about episode six is, does anybody else see Gennai's assistant becoming more in the future or am I reading too much into it?

Basho's episode was interesting for not actually focusing on her; we never do find out whether spoiler[Nobunaga took her secret treasure] because of it, though. Episode eight was just trippy, though entertainingly so. Nobunaga got her biggest role since episode one(spoiler[though she just vanishes without trace, sadly]) and I was sort of expecting them to bring up the fact that Hideyoshi made Rikyuu commit suicide, but a tank is fine, too.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote
Good to know that there is someone else who thinks the show aint too bad, I mean I expect that most have written the show off. It is not like it is an amazing show, but I am kind of happy that I have a different little story each time. Like was I was rather surprised by the sudden prison episode, and then followed by an episode which spent the first part of it, painting samurai in a bad light.

Maybe I would describe it as surprisingly intelligent for something that look pretty stupid.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the view that would have been terrible if it followed the initial line of thinking that it would only be harem hijinks with feminized warlords of the past, but it just isn't that type of show at all. I hope they stop introducing so many new characters and go back to showing Date Masamune and others to tie together a bigger arc.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, next episode is a part one, so it could easily be the kickoff of an actual arc.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
Not sure if this violates the double posting guidelines, but I'll just run with it anyway:

IT'S A PLOT!!!!!! After eight episodes of anthological fluffiness, WE HAVE A PLOT!!! spoiler[Mysterious Nekkid Beauty wants to beat Nobunaga] - whether to spoiler[get home, to conquer Sengoku Japan or to become a warlord in the modern world] we can only guess for now, but it. Is. Going. Somewhere!

Winding back to the rest of the episode, Shinkuro gives me some serious Shizune vibes(but then, her favorite game is Risk). Also interesting(a pair of words I seem to use far too frequently) to see some development on the magical front - Kanetsugu's wings don't seem so out of place now(spoiler[and that bit with raindrops from the ED's actually a demonstration of Mysterious Nekkid Beauty's power!]). Finally, is it just me or are those the simplest uniforms an anime's ever had?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Finally, is it just me or are those the simplest uniforms an anime's ever had?
Yeah, I was thinking that too, I just decided that they thought simplicety was best.

Just things you remember from some shows, like this episode had a samurai girl in a psuedo maid costume useing some sort of spoiler[self powered Lambda drive (samurai technique) that protected her from a piece of chalk thrown by a history teacher, sending the chalk back, and making him end up in hospital, with damage not only done to the face, but an arm cast too.]

An arching plot sounds nice, but I think I am just a little confused over it, I am terrible with names, need to use character profiles, or remember names from other series.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
It certainly doesn't help that some of the big players change their names several times during their lifetimes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:53 am Reply with quote
I like how the only last episode summary from a continued story over episode spoiler[was completly wrong, the pictures confirmed that the previous was the last I saw, but the words made me think that I had missed some big plot development.] But instead following her chasing shadows before spoiler[there actually coming across some ninja that seems to have no real idea of how to be a ninja, and just wanting to follow tropes by talking. And some fight with a water chick.]

I was pretty sure they were going to have Nobunaga's spoiler[enemy be pure evil, looks like they will go for some kind of different point of view things, since Shinku joined her.]
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
If I recollect correctly, spoiler[Nobunaga was the one with the evil reputation], so your idea just wouldn't really jive with the culture. Hopefully this episode won't just be another false start like episode four, though.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:
Me and my big mouth. We've got another standalone. An interesting one, but still completely unconnected to any main plot(and no Nobunaga neither). At this point, I'm starting to wonder: how often do these ladies wash their clothes?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:05 am Reply with quote
I remember I liked the episode, but I don't think it really had much actual samurai stuff, and more of a feel that we were just really crossing paths rather than her being the main character. But still I am happy that they do not have to tread on the same techniques, and I had more fun with the gambling /con in this, than I had in other shows of similar genre.

It would be nice if all these different things we have seen eventually connect together.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
I'd love that - spoiler[whoever she teams up with would have a nice little war chest], so I could easily see this serving as a springboard later on if they decide to start weaving the threads together. Though it'd be nice if they'd worked "Matsunaga Hisahide" into the script somewhere - I had to look on Wikipedia to figure out what her name was(which currently has the names flipped for the generals - I'll have to fix that).

EDIT: All done. Turns out the page couldn't even agree with itself on the order.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:45 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping the story paths cross, but this show sure is a gamble in and of itself. Some of the episodes are great, usually the ones featuring the older characters, and some are just very difficult to get through or stick up for, like the loli idol ones. I think it was wrong for everyone to write this anime off from the get go, but there are episodes worth skipping.

This gambling episode was pretty good; feels it would have come from another show, like Licensed by Royal or Coyote Ragtime Show. That's influencing my conclusion that this is an pseudo-anthology series; mixing characters and genres, but having a common theme and a consistent art style. "What is TV, what is hamburger" it most definitely is not.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 12
We got to see the male character from the first episode again, for what that is worth. So we have a motorcycle one as well, actually I am quite fond of Keiji in her average person look. And this pairing sends my yuri fanboy tendencies into overdrive, well so did the one with model, well for some reason I liked the plainer looks.

But who says spoiler["I think we can be friends" after asking a girl what colour her under wear] is? Although again I was more confused why spoiler[no one was going to save some defenseless woman from being taken away by some man, while she was screaming for help.] Lol about the spoiler[place getting robbed a couple times, and that one girl thought she might have done it,] good thing there are feudal generals around to save the day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3