• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dragon Quest Bar Celebrates 2nd Year with Erdrick Cookies, Cake

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Didn't know they used the name Erdrick in Japan now. I thought he was Roto there.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
What? No slime JELL-O?
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Didn't know they used the name Erdrick in Japan now. I thought he was Roto there.

I wrote this article. Actually, the Japanese does use Loto, but we used Erdrick to make the translations more appropriate for an English-speaking readership.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Amethyst Alchemist wrote:
GATSU wrote:

I wrote this article. Actually, the Japanese does use Loto, but we used Erdrick to make the translations more appropriate for an English-speaking readership.

Speaking as a person whose played every Dragon Quest (back almost a decade ago before Enix at the time sold it off, had Dragon Warrior.)

The Japanese as Amethyst has stated have used both Loto and Erdrick. In Dragon Warrior II and III, the name Loto was used, but if my memory serves, Erdrick was actually used in the first English translations.

By first I mean the original NES games, had to chance to play all three of them nearly an entire decade ago, years after I played them years before.

Fun fact, the reason Erdrick was used later on instead of Loto is because Loto almost sounds like lottery and Nintendo (not Enix at the time) was more concerned about encouraging gambling with younger gamers. Mind you, back then, Nintendo only did this as just a preventive step so parents of these younger gamers wouldn't send their corporate offices any complaints.

When you've been a gamer (or at least, played Dragon Quest as long as I have) you tend to learn fine details from sources that your average person wouldn't typically know of.

Great article though Amethyst Alchemist, did a great job.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Oooog those cookies look really scrumptious. *drools* Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1