• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari Anime's Premiere Dated

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:39 am Reply with quote
Well, now the only question is... Will fansubbers rip it from T.V. or wait until the DVD release?

Seriously, though, I can't wait. New Tenchi after like 7 years is good thing. Cool
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
Bleh. This isn't new Tenchi, this is some hackneyed ripoff using the Tenchi name to rake in a few extra thousand sales/viewers. Fortunately this doesn't look as bad as that godawful Tenchi GXP, but it also looks even further from the source material. (Cause it is!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:11 am Reply with quote
On the plus side, there's no possible way for it to be worse than the third Tenchi OVA. I think it violated the Geneva Convention a few times with its awfulness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps it is more appropriate to say that this is a new work from the original creator of Tenchi Muyo!, Masaki Kajishima. It would be far more apt to refer to it as a spin-off or a side-story rather than as a rip-off. I personally prefer to think of it as a new Kajishima story with a different perspective of the worlds and universes he's spun in his mind. No, this won't be about Tenchi Masaki or who he's going to marry or the three goddesses or Masaki household hijinks and slice-of-life, but it will be related to that story since it is about Tenchi's half-brother. And it has mecha reminiscent of the mecha in Kajishima's Dual! and a little white creature with two tails who looks quite a bit like the white, two-tailed creature in Kajishima's Photon: The Idiot Adventures. How fun for people who've seen both anime! It may be that Japanese fans of Kajishima's works have a better perspective of his creations than fans in other countries do, what with their access to the True Tenchi novels and GXP novels (which are closer to his vision of GXP than the anime was), and Kajishima's doujinshi. I suppose it's possible that many fans are too narrowly focused on the story of Tenchi, Ryoko, Ayeka, Washu, Sasami, Mihoshi, Ryo-Ohki, etc., to appreciate the breadth of Kajishima's world/universe(s)-building. Tenchi is seen as the middle, the heart, while everything else is just a side-story--but maybe that is only because Tenchi came to people's attention first. Seikishi's new and people just don't seem to know what to make of it. Yet Seikishi's also old--it's been running around in Kajishima's head for years, and is only now allowed to come out, probably in part because of support from Japanese fans. As a writer, I have many ideas in my head for several stories that take place in the same world/universe, but are seen from the perspective of different characters. I think it's a wonderful way to bring new characters into the same world/universe and see things from different perspectives, since in real life there is no one main character or one group of main characters that we're all revolving around. I say, let the man create what he wants to create as well as he can. I have no clue how much control he has over the animated versions of his stories, but I always enjoy each of them to such an extent that I eagerly await being able to purchase new Kajishima-inspired stories (unless they're hentai--no Masquerade or Spaceship Agga Ruter or whatever for me). There will always be those who enjoy his creations and those who won't--that is the way of things in the world of art and writing. But I feel that it is inappropriate for a reader/viewer to constantly berate a creator as if they've betrayed him/her with their work and have some sort of strange responsibility to redo their work in order to please him/her and make everything all better. If there is one thing that I could ask for most people to understand, it's that a writer/artist cannot possibly fulfill everyone's tastes and expectations. It--is--impossible. But accepting such knowledge is not. I also feel that it's not helpful to say that something like Seikishi is far from its source material, because that doesn't make much sense and gives an unfair impression. It's its own story. If you're working from source material, usually you're creating an adaptation or a re-imagining, and Seikishi is neither an adaptation of Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki, nor a re-imagining. That would be Tenchi Universe. Or Tenchi in Tokyo. I'm not even going to get started on Pretty Sammy.

Thank you so much for the Seikishi news update, ANN! I'm very happy to learn that it will be a thirteen episode series. When I saw the updates on the Web site, I knew that it probably said how many episodes there would be, but I couldn't read the characters! Heh, heh, maybe next time I'll use Babelfish, but...it's still nice that I was able to find out on ANN. Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1