• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Sci-Fi broadcast (w/index).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote
Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Gundam 00 will replace Gurren Lagann's slot on Sci-Fi's Ani-Monday with 2 episodes airing every week. I've never seen a Gundam series before (maybe an episode when I was younger but nothing that I remember), so this'll be the first Gundam show for me.

Official English site with trailer: http://gundam00.bandai-ent.com/

Episode 1- Celestial Being and Episode 2- Gundam Meister
Episode 3- The Changing World and Episode 4- Foreign Negotiations
Episode 5- Breakaway Limit Zone and Episode 6- Seven Swords
Episode 7- Unrepayable Soul and Episode 8- Indiscriminate Retaliation
Episode 9- The Dignity of a Great Nation and Episode 10- Operation Gundam Capture
Episode 11- Allelujah and Episode 12- Towards the End of Doctrine
Episode 13- Return of the Saint and Episode 14- Dawn of Determination
Episode 15- Broken Wings and Episode 16- Trinity
Episode 17- Throne Strikes and Episode 18- Spearhead of Malice
Episode 19- Bonds and Episode 20- Blade of Revolution
Episode 21- Road to Ruin, Episode 22- Trans-Am, Episode 23- The World Stands Still, and Episode 24- The Never-Ending Poem
Episode 25 -Setsuna

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Second Season

Episode 1- The Angel's Second Advent and Episode 2- Twin Drive
Episode 3- Operation Allelujah Rescue and Episode 4- A Reason to Battle
Episode 5- A Homeland Burns and Episode 6- Scar
Episode 7- With Reunions and Departure and Episode 8- Pure Distortion
Episode 9- Indelible Past and Episode 10- The Light of Heaven
Episode 11- Voice of 00 and Episode 12- Waiting in Space
Episode 13- Battle in Memento Mori and Episode 14- A Song is Heard
Episode 15- Victory Song of the Resistance and Episode 16- Prologue to Tragedy
Episode 17- In Midst of Scattered Light and Episode 18- Mixed Feelings
Episode 19- Shadow of the Innovators and Episode 20- Anew Return
Episode 21- The Door to Innovation and Episode 22- For the Future's Sake
Episode 23- Flower of Life and Episode 24- Beyond
Episode 25- Revival

Last edited by braves on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:15 am; edited 26 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, don't remind me of that trailer. That is 4Kids quality dubbing.

It's so sad. Ocean usually handles Gundam dubs fairly well, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Don't let this show form your opinion on Gundam. Just think of it as a better attempt at Gundam Wing. Real Gundam only incorporates most of the the Universal Century, Future Century, or Common Era.

If you want a taste for what Gundam really is, watch Zeta Gundam or the OVAs produced in the 90's.
Zewerr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Also being a Gundam virgin, is it ok to beginning my Gundam career with this series? Or will I be out of it, and not really know what's going on?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
From what I understand, this series is essentially completely independent from anything else in the Gundam universe, so starting with it is fine. I've never seen any Gundam myself, so I'm mildly curious as to what I'm going to think of it.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't the show supposed to debut last night? All I got on my schedule was something called Cha$e.

Irritates the hell out of me, too, because this is one premiere I'm looking forward to.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Relax. They pre-empted Ani-Monday this week, for reasons unknown, but SciFi.com's ScheduleBot shows two eps for next Monday at 11, as planned.

Chase, BTW, was pretty good, or at least episode 1 was. Yeah, it's cheesy, but at least it's a fun kind of cheesy.

As for whether this is a good place to jump onto the Gundam train... well, as good a place as any, really. I mean, after seeing a bunch back when CN was big on them, it occurred to me that they're all pretty much the same story. Seen one, seen 'em all. I'll watch 00 anyway, because it has been awhile, but I'm not expecting anything particularly revolutionary.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I'd recommend Gundam virgins watching Gundam Wing. Everyone agrees it's "the best," but non-Gundam fans like myself also enjoy it. It was well-done regardless of fan-pandering or need to "revolutionize" the franchise, which is why G Gundam was so ridiculous...fun, but man, it was dumb.

I would be mildly more interested in this, but as penguin points out, everyone's been telling me the dub is atrocious, and the trailer doesn't change my mind on it, so I fear having to suffer through a horrible dub for a middling sort of show. THAT'S not cool... Confused
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
It is too bad that the Toonami block was cancled. I think the new Gundam series would have done well there. Oh well. Sad
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I haven't heard the dub, but I'll remain optimistic about it until I hear it. Anyways...00 is one of my favorite Gundam series ever. The animation is gorgeous (miles beyond the stiff crappy animation in SEED) and the story is really good. At the end of the day, it is just another Gundam series, but it's one of the best. I put it right up there with Turn A and 8th MS Team (which are my favorites).

Also, for anyone new to Gundam this is a great place to start.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Also, for anyone new to Gundam this is a great place to start.

I am so annoyed at the dub. The show has enough problems as it is without an abysmal dub dragging it down further.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Eh? Where'd you get to see the dub? Are the DVDs out already?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
There's a link to the trailer in the opening post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Zewerr wrote:
Also being a Gundam virgin, is it ok to beginning my Gundam career with this series? Or will I be out of it, and not really know what's going on?

You'll be fine. Gundam 00 requires no previous knowledge of Gundam series as it is a completely separate timeline. The other Gundam series do not exist as far as 00's story is concerned.

JesuOtaku wrote:
I'd recommend Gundam virgins watching Gundam Wing. Everyone agrees it's "the best," but non-Gundam fans like myself also enjoy it.

Ahahahahahahahaha. That's funny. Actually, Gundam Wing gets trashed pretty badly among hardcore Gundam fans. Hardcore U.C. fans tend to hate anything that doesn't take place in the U.C., but Gundam Wing gets the brunt of it.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Really? Huh. Well, the mech fans I know love it, but I guess I don't have much contact with REAL hardcore Gundam fans, who may see things differently.

But, of course, hardcore fans' opinions are usually pretty...weeeeeell... I would rather trust the opinion of someone who loves anime in general. Most people I've spoken to that at least like Gundam and often LOVE mecha really like Gundam Wing. So, yeah. I still can't help but recommend Wing. Personally, I've seen half of Wing, all of Seed, and about eight to ten episodes each of G Gundam and 00, and Wing was BY FAR the best, this coming from someone who isn't a mecha fan. I just like good anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 20