• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lawsuit Launched over Proposed Live-Action Voltron Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who feels that the article title is rather inaccurate? The current state of the lawsuit is "an amended legal summons [...] seeking a legal declaration on which rights belong to WEP and which rights belong to Toei or Nakamura."

So basically, the title should be about how WEP is seeking clarification over rights, not suing anybody; either that or the title should indicate that the proposed film has been canceled since they now realize that GoLion's designer might (partly) own the rights to it?

Never mind that he hasn't worked in television since 1987 and might be dead or senile.

How about "Proposed LA Voltron Film Canceled Due to Some Old Guy in Japan Who Designed GoLion Possibly Owning It"? Well, I guess I'll leave headline-writing to the journalists.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
Am I the only one who feels that the article title is rather inaccurate? The current state of the lawsuit is "an amended legal summons [...] seeking a legal declaration on which rights belong to WEP and which rights belong to Toei or Nakamura."

So basically, the title should be about how WEP is seeking clarification over rights, not suing anybody; either that or the title should indicate that the proposed film has been canceled since they now realize that GoLion's designer might (partly) own the rights to it?

Never mind that he hasn't worked in television since 1987 and might be dead or senile.

How about "Proposed LA Voltron Film Canceled Due to Some Old Guy in Japan Who Designed GoLion Possibly Owning It"? Well, I guess I'll leave headline-writing to the journalists.

There was a lawsuit filed in February, so WEP really is suing Toei. The legal summons themselves doesn't seek the clarification over the rights--they're just a minor legal tactic to bring the parties to court so the actual lawsuit can move forward. The lawsuit is where the clarification will happen, once the legal summons are served.

Publicly, the film hasn't been completely canned yet, at least according to Variety in August. WEP was trying to pitch the project to another studio. However, the project probably will have little resemblance to the anime until this lawsuit is resolved.

Nakamura is still very much alive. In fact, he runs his own studio that recently worked on Higurashi no Naku koro ni Kai and Chi's Sweet Home:

http://www.nakamura-pro.com/
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if this legal tie-up lasts for years or even decades. It looks like another classic case of "one party accuses the other of not honoring their rights and the other party vice versa" and if you're going to throw a third party into the mix, then you've really got yourself a sticky situation.

I'm already annoyed at Harmony Gold for tying up the rights to Macross, thus preventing us from getting Zero and Frontier over here and Bunker Jenkins for tying up the Mazinger rights. Do we have to see the same for Voltron?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
testor: Even if he was retired, his family would still be entitled to whatever residuals they were promised from the series.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
sykoeent wrote:
I have a better idea...
how about, instead of making crappy remakes or stupifying people's childhood, how about making something original? Is it that hard? Or is Hollywood just dumb now? There are a lot of other properties to jump start into a movie, and there are a lot of creators that could put the past to shame. Stop destroying our childhood and make something new!

Well considering Hollywood is turning toward board games for new properties to milk... Yeah, I'm going with the just dumb option.

http://www.reuters.com/article/filmNews/idUSTRE4AB14J20081112
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/entertainment/New-Movie-Passes-Go-Collects-200.html
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Well considering Hollywood is turning toward board games for new properties to milk... Yeah, I'm going with the just dumb option.

Hey, don't be hating on Clue, man! Although to be fair, it would seem a lot easier on paper to make a compelling movie out of a game based on a murder mystery than on one based on buying property and building stuff on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dardre

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like both sides have gotten their wires crossed (again). It seems that both still have some kind of mis-communication/misunderstanding of just what the contract between them does, and does not, cover. It makes me wonder just what the actual wording in the contract explicitly states.

Of course, this could also be a case of both sides getting caught playing 'games' with the contract (i.e. both of them deliberately 'misinterpreting' what the contract says and doesn't say and/or 'stretching' the contract to cover something it doesn't explicitly cover).

I have to admit that bringing up Nakamura is odd, though I have to say that I can't really blame WEP after the mess over the 3d version of Voltron; I'd be nervous and puzzled about finding out about a possible third party having rights to what I had just (relatively) settled. I mean, the two had already gone to court once (and settled) over the contract, so having a possible third party running around (that wasn't brought up in that settlement/clarification) would make me a little irritable.

I'm kinda looking forward to hearing where this goes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3