• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hunter X Hunter (TV 2011).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenatsu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote
episode 111
absolutely terrific..its been quite a build up to this fight and its good that its finally starting
i cant wait to see the fight betweenspoiler[ gon and pitou after killua saw his eyes go dark]
neterouspoiler[ is living up to his name though i didn't get the part about the martial arts school..was it a challenge??]
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
From the moment I first saw it used in the manga till now, I've had absolutely no idea what it really does for him. I do know that one of it's effect is to activate and spoiler[control Pitou's dead body if he ever dies]. But it appears to possess other functions as well.

You should probably specifically mark this as a manga spoiler. It is kind of important, and some people don't want to know that.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Youpi sure was an unforeseen obstacle.
Getting him as a first opponent was just lousy luck.
Amidst all the chaos around them, Gon had the clearest mind.
Things certainly became interesting.
I like the new, more serious forms of the King's guards.
It's gonna be fun watching those fights.
The King is so gonna be the biggest problem.
After seeing what happened to Komugi, he's gonna be crazy angry.
That fact makes him even more scary and dangerous.
Next episodes will be very interesting.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
The King needs a hug. Pitou needs to take a big breath to relax. Youpi needs to take his anger out on those hunters. All the hunters needs to take out the ants.

Great episode. The narration did feel a little long though. Next episode should be action packed especially with Youpi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
|comicchaser|

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I need to vent in another place aside from twitter, and Stark700 already has touched on that subject, so I'll just address this in here as well.

This has been bothering me for a while about the new Hunter X Hunter show, but in the recent episode it's more apparent then ever:

They REALLY need to get rid of the overly chatty narrator.
Explaining and commenting everything that is happening in a scene in minute detail is not only ruining the pacing and atmosphere of the show, it's also totally unnecessary in 90% of the scenes. You can understand what is happening in the context of what is progressing on screen just fine, since most of the characters' actions are pretty self-explanatory. Occasional important inner thought processes of a singular person, can be conveyed by that specific character, if necessary. Almost anything the narrator has said in the most recent episodes has been completely redundant and took me out of the show several times, because of the strongest "Yeah, I get it, ffs!" moments I have experienced so far.
It also feels like the show is taking its audience for complete idiots.
Obviously this is a relict from the manga, which should have gotten a proper refurbishing in the adaption to an anime series, but I guess Madhouse just went the lazy route with this one.
It's the worst case of "Tell" instead of "Show" I have seen in quite a while and it's incredibly irritating.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
|comicchaser| wrote:
Ok, I need to vent in another place aside from twitter, and Stark700 already has touched on that subject, so I'll just address this in here as well.

This has been bothering me for a while about the new Hunter X Hunter show, but in the recent episode it's more apparent then ever:

They REALLY need to get rid of the overly chatty narrator.
Explaining and commenting everything that is happening in a scene in minute detail is not only ruining the pacing and atmosphere of the show, it's also totally unnecessary in 90% of the scenes. You can understand what is happening in the context of what is progressing on screen just fine, since most of the characters' actions are pretty self-explanatory. Occasional important inner thought processes of a singular person, can be conveyed by that specific character, if necessary. Almost anything the narrator has said in the most recent episodes has been completely redundant and took me out of the show several times, because of the strongest "Yeah, I get it, ffs!" moments I have experienced so far.
It also feels like the show is taking its audience for complete idiots.
Obviously this is a relict from the manga, which should have gotten a proper refurbishing in the adaption to an anime series, but I guess Madhouse just went the lazy route with this one.
It's the worst case of "Tell" instead of "Show" I have seen in quite a while and it's incredibly irritating.

I think this style is great. Keep in mind this entire invasion is happening in the course of a couple minutes. The fact that they created so much atmosphere around this one single event is brilliant. Most shounen can't even do this in a whole series.
|comicchaser|

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I think this style is great. Keep in mind this entire invasion is happening in the course of a couple minutes. The fact that they created so much atmosphere around this one single event is brilliant. Most shounen can't even do this in a whole series.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love the setup they have created for the finale of this arc. And the fact that the show is entertaining me as well as it does, despite the imo big flaw in its presentation, speaks for the power of the material.
However, I think it could be that much stronger without the costant blabber from the sidelines.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Youpi sure turned into a real monster.
That was a nice, yet weird surprise.
Damn, even experienced hunters had serious trouble dealing with him.
Can't imagine how they'll manage to take him down.
It's clearly shown they're giving their best.
Killua was acting weird.
Guess all the excitement got to him and he momentarily lost his goal.
Pouf is definitely the weirdest of the king's guards.
Can't wait to see his full on monster form in a fight!]
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how they do it, this just keeps getting better and better every episode. I can't wait to seespoiler[Morel vs. Pouf]. At this point, I'm hoping they make an anime original ending.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
The upcoming fights should be quite a ride but there's some of that already with Shoot vs. Youpi in the latest episode.

Great stuff so far again even with the narration. Did I mention that badass ending with Gon at the end? Pure epicness.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
Ep 113,

Ill agree that the narrator is annoying but they are following the manga to a T.

Excellent.

No complaints.

I do wonder where that koala assassin with the gourd went from earlier in the chimera ant arc?
|comicchaser|

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Ep 113,

Ill agree that the narrator is annoying but they are following the manga to a T.

Excellent.

No complaints.

You are aware, that the narrator being so annoying results exactly from them following the Manga to a T. I don't mind doing it by the book (har har har), but this is just lazy. And it simply doesn't work as good in an animated format.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
|comicchaser| wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Ep 113,

Excellent.

No complaints.

You are aware, that the narrator being so annoying results exactly from them following the Manga to a T. I don't mind doing it by the book (har har har), but this is just lazy. And it simply doesn't work as good in an animated format.

well if this is how they did it in the manga there isn't much they can do about it. They can't just cut the explanations because its too important. Basically blame the author for writing it like this.
|comicchaser|

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:

well if this is how they did it in the manga there isn't much they can do about it. They can't just cut the explanations because its too important. Basically blame the author for writing it like this.

A lot of the explanations are not even necessary anymore, since it's much easier to determine what's happening in the anime, than in the manga (animation, sound, each character has his/her own voice, better artwork, color, etc.). Also, they could rewrite it and let the characters themselves do the explanations that are vital to the conveyance of plot development via inner monologue. A lot of shows do this, and imo it's a lot less jarring than the constant talking from a person that isn't even in the scene.
The constant presence of the narrator works much better in the manga, since all is written word in speech bubbles anyway and everything is told via still frames.
In animation, not only do you have to stop the motion, if you wanna do a lenghty exposition, in this case it is also told by someone who isn't even part of the people who usually move the story forward, as in the characters of the show.
And like I said, apart from the explanations of the different Nen powers (which are insanely specific), an explantion is just not needed for a lot of the scenes. Why they decided to keep the lenghty exposition in most of the recent 3 episodes is simply beyond me.
spoiler["And then Neferpitou noticed that the prince had a grim aura about him"...Yeah, no shit Sherlock. HIS FACE IS A BLACK VOID. Just, wow.]
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I keep wondering why Neferpitou is so attractive. This is beyond my brain capability.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 41 of 52