• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: JAST USA Looks Into Licensing Steins;Gate Game

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninja noir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
HOT DAMN!!!!

ugh....got that out of my system.

Well, in any case it would be all kinds of awesome if this actually happened and it was released on steam. I've been wanting to play it since watching the anime. Smile
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
As someone's who's been following the TL group since it started up a few months ago I have a few things to say / point out / my thoughts on.

The main translator for the group is still editing and revising the scripts. The fact is this whole "deal" thing has caused a lot of drama with in the group (just look at the TL site and the main site). Even if some deal is made the fact remains people are going to get burned, trust will be lost and well a summer of hard work by a team that was rounded up from everywhere from youtube to 4chan will be wasted in away.

I will support an official release but I wish JAST would get their stuff in order before reaching out to a fan group. Just look at what happened to a bunch of other projects they've tried to do with fan groups. It's either in limbo or takes years to get released from when the free patches are posted online.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
On one hand, I wouldn't get my hopes up for this because it is mostly a 5pb developed and published game and they hold their titles pretty close to themselves.

But, on the other hand 5pb has allowed two of their titles to be localized for the western market - Corpse Party and Phantom Breaker.

So, basically, it's more of when and not if at this point. Nitroplus can definitely help with licensing talks since they seem to be on good terms with both 5pb and JAST.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to be excited but I'm still waiting for JAST to put out the School Days game they announced years ago. You wouldn't think translating text would take years but I guess it does.

Much love goes out to JAST but I think the developers are probably the people in the best position to release the most jank free version and expend the least amount of money to do so.
Razzuel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I will definitely support an official release, but I can't help but feel a bit frustrated, since I imported the game from AmiAmi. I guess that's my own fault though. However, from the sound of the main translator's blog, he's still going to release the patch. So importing the game shouldn't be too much of a waste if Steins;Gate gets an official release, since I doubt it would get released anytime soon.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Do want.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
well the game does have an unofficial english patch if you own the japan hard copy. It would be really nice to see this possible but hmm well it's only 60 dollars to import the game. How much less would jastusa wold offer an official release for??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
well the game does have an unofficial english patch if you own the japan hard copy. It would be really nice to see this possible but hmm well it's only 60 dollars to import the game. How much less would jastusa wold offer an official release for??

JAST sells their games for anywhere between $15 to $40, most games are about $25 and are download only. A few of the games do have a physical disk along with a download from my understanding.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Steam expressing interest in a VN release? Well then, someone at the top must've been paying attention to the anime reaction.

All this internal squabbling with fan-translation groups is really tiresome, I know they're all volunteer amateurs but this is the kinda crap that causes VN's never being released because of what I perceive to be petty drama. The professional side is so small, I mean really if people have an interest in this kinda thing they just need to suck it up and put some money in because damn the English distribution is a sad scene.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
Steam expressing interest in a VN release? Well then, someone at the top must've been paying attention to the anime reaction.

All this internal squabbling with fan-translation groups is really tiresome, I know they're all volunteer amateurs but this is the kinda crap that causes VN's never being released because of what I perceive to be petty drama. The professional side is so small, I mean really if people have an interest in this kinda thing they just need to suck it up and put some money in because damn the English distribution is a sad scene.

well with out them then we wouldn't have translations for clannad, little busters, school days which is getting an official release etc. The main reason the english scene is sad due to how niche the market and it's easier to tread water first before making a commitment on such IP's. Yeah I wish we could all get along but I think the translators will in the end, steins;gate is a very hot property right now so I can see it happening.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I'd like to be excited but I'm still waiting for JAST to put out the School Days game they announced years ago. You wouldn't think translating text would take years but I guess it does.

Much love goes out to JAST but I think the developers are probably the people in the best position to release the most jank free version and expend the least amount of money to do so.
It doesn't take that long TBH....but I doubt they have very many translators. Expensive to pay them I'm sure.

Considering they just announced a port to ps3 as well....this is a really hot property for fans of the genre. Most fans I think have ps3 so at least waiting to see if there will be any changes (I doubt it..but who knows) would probably be smart.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Man, I gotta be honest, I really don't want this to happen.

I'd really prefer XSEED get the rights instead, not only to further improve their relationship with 5pb but because I'd rather see a console release for the 360.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Man, I gotta be honest, I really don't want this to happen.

I'd really prefer XSEED get the rights instead, not only to further improve their relationship with 5pb but because I'd rather see a console release for the 360.

It would be nice man, but steins gate is on the ios, psp, 360, PC and coming to the ps3. I can only see two of these getting picked up.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I'd like to be excited but I'm still waiting for JAST to put out the School Days game they announced years ago.

This right here!!!!!!!

I have been waiting for school days as well, and I bet if enough people sent emails to steam about the possibility of them selling VNs on their site, they might look into it more,

I have a steam account, and would love to buy school days that way
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
well with out them then we wouldn't have translations for clannad, little busters, school days which is getting an official release etc. The main reason the english scene is sad due to how niche the market and it's easier to tread water first before making a commitment on such IP's. Yeah I wish we could all get along but I think the translators will in the end, steins;gate is a very hot property right now so I can see it happening.

I never said they shouldn't exist, but rather that these groups need to get their act together because damn it's really sad when a VN translation falls apart because people couldn't get along. Hey man, these guys generally do good work but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement and my comment is aimed to point that out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3