• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Future Events

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:06 am Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
Paul Soth wrote:
It also helps if small studios make games that are, you know, actually enjoyable.

I agree with you. The reason most people buy big budget games from big companies is because they know they'll be getting a high quality product. In an age where time is becoming a rare comodity less people stray from "safe bets". For example, I've heard nothing but praises about Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, but the game looks outdated and is said to be more than 50 hours long, so I'm reluctent to give it a go even if it is amazing.

Companies like Atlus and NIS should go the extra mile to provide nothing but hits (which is possible considering they have the entirely forsaken Japanese game markert to choose from). Luckily, they have been doing just that recently: Atlus released the popular Catherine, and while Disgaea is dead NIS has been releasing the Atelier series which turned out to be a sleeper hit.

There are a ton of big budget games that sucked and got poor reviews, Final Fantasy XIV, Duke Nukem Forever, and the Kane and Lynch series have been heavily criticized, and yet the latter two sold really well.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
Paul Soth wrote:
It also helps if small studios make games that are, you know, actually enjoyable.

I agree with you. The reason most people buy big budget games from big companies is because they know they'll be getting a high quality product. In an age where time is becoming a rare comodity less people stray from "safe bets". For example, I've heard nothing but praises about Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, but the game looks outdated and is said to be more than 50 hours long, so I'm reluctent to give it a go even if it is amazing.

Your loss. Trails is WAY better than most big budget games.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, in the case of Duke, people were getting that on principle. That's rare.
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I will be honest, I think that the Vita's issues are mutli-fold. But one of the biggest miss aims is the effect of smart-phones, which for Japan has really just begun compared to the US(as far as I understand it). I don't think that has been much of a factor unlike what I have heard everywhere, in-fact that is something that it more a factor in the US launch.

But few things is that stands out. Sony hasn't really have product that would really be noticed at the moment. The lost of Monster Hunter on the date of the release. An issue with price and the general market.
With that said, Sony has to more or less do something before it's complete forgotten for it's competitors. The question is what?

As for the WiiU, I think that you might be spot on with that one. That said, I would not add into the iPad into that if only because the functionality will be very different. That said, given what Nintendo has shown and there strategy... slow is what I am expecting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2